What's new

Vintage Brush/Handle Treewhale

Well I set the knot in the Badger-Lon this evening. Here is a shot of the brush before I started; you can see the mixture of the nylon and badger, and how the badger hair deteriorated over time, leaving a crown of rough nylon at the top.

$1Badger-Lon Before.jpg

Here is the way the brush looks now, with a freshly set TGN synthetic knot. I thought a synthetic knot was appropriate for this handle. I believe I set the loft at 53mm, but I may be off by a touch.

$2Badger-Lon After.jpg

Overall I think I'm pleased with the way my first restoration attempt turned out.

Well I set the knot in the Badger-Lon this evening. Here is a shot of the brush before I started; you can see the mixture of the nylon and badger, and how the badger hair deteriorated over time, leaving a crown of rough nylon at the top.

Here is the way the brush looks now, with a freshly set TGN synthetic knot. I thought a synthetic knot was appropriate for this handle. I believe I set the loft at 53mm, but I may be off by a touch.

Overall I think I'm pleased with the way my first restoration attempt turned out.
Very nice work!
How did you restore the engraving?

Very nice work!
How did you restore the engraving?
I actually got the tips from somewhere in this forum. I removed the old paint first...did a little polishing with Flitz. I used Testor's enamel and simply brushed it all over the lettering, and then used a Rubberset tack cloth. Wiping the tack cloth across the surface removed everything but the stuff in the lettering and grooves.

And thanks for the compliment!

Very nice work Brian! That brush looks sweet!

I am about to repaint the lettering in an Ever-Ready too -- like you, it will be my first attempt at doing this. What is a "Rubberset tack cloth"? I am familiar with tack cloths in general, is this one somehow different? Did you let the paint set for a while? Or wipe immediately? I had planned to use a squeegee that I made from an old wiper blade (per another thread on B&B). But maybe the tack cloth idea is better.

Very nice work Brian! That brush looks sweet!

I am about to repaint the lettering in an Ever-Ready too -- like you, it will be my first attempt at doing this. What is a "Rubberset tack cloth"? I am familiar with tack cloths in general, is this one somehow different? Did you let the paint set for a while? Or wipe immediately? I had planned to use a squeegee that I made from an old wiper blade (per another thread on B&B). But maybe the tack cloth idea is better.
I'll post a pic if it will help. Rubberset is the brand name. Cost me less than two bucks at the hobby shop. Looks like folded up cheesecloth, and the little bag is open at the bottom. The stuff is so sticky that it can hang on a retail rack in a bag with no bottom.

After putting paint on the lettering I only waited a few seconds before wiping with the tack cloth. Whether you squeegee or tack cloth, you want to take wet paint off surfaces you don't want painted.

Does that help?

Sounds just like the kind of tack cloth I use for removing dust when it's time to apply finish on my woodworking projects. Here is a link to the thread that details the procedure I was planning to use. Would you recommend the tack cloth over the squeegee based on your experience -- I realize it's a YMMV situation, but what's your impression? When you do your next one, will you use the tack cloth or try a squeegee?
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...es-to-painting-numbers-and-letters?highlight=

Rubberset has been owned by Sherwin-Williams since 1956 so their focus is paint and painting. It is just their version of a standard tack cloth to remove dust before painting.

$293977.jpg

What is a "Rubberset tack cloth"? I am familiar with tack cloths in general, is this one somehow different?

Sounds just like the kind of tack cloth I use for removing dust when it's time to apply finish on my woodworking projects. Here is a link to the thread that details the procedure I was planning to use. Would you recommend the tack cloth over the squeegee based on your experience -- I realize it's a YMMV situation, but what's your impression? When you do your next one, will you use the tack cloth or try a squeegee?
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...es-to-painting-numbers-and-letters?highlight=
Well bear in mind, this was my very first restoration. I think a squeegee would work well on a flat or nearly flat surface...the parts I was working on in this case were fairly curved. Since I haven't tried a squeegee I can't really speak to whether one is better or not. If you're trying to fill deep letters with paint I imagine the squeegee would take no more than necessary, while the tack cloth might take a little more. I'm not sure.
Rubberset has been owned by Sherwin-Williams since 1956 so their focus is paint and painting. It is just their version of a standard tack cloth to remove dust before painting.

View attachment 573213
Yep, that's what I used! You're spot on, BladeShark!

Top Bottom