What's new

What filler will simulate a resin handle?

I'm planning to get another Ever Ready brush to fix up but the last time I restored a brush I may have made a little heavy though it turned out well (I can't remember what I used). I have a Razorock resin handle so I know that's a good weight for me, what filler would simulate resin the best? Would a 2 part epoxy work just fine or do I need to find some specific kind of resin. Sorry if this is a silly question, I may be overthinking this.

I'm planning to get another Ever Ready brush to fix up but the last time I restored a brush I may have made a little heavy though it turned out well (I can't remember what I used). I have a Razorock resin handle so I know that's a good weight for me, what filler would simulate resin the best? Would a 2 part epoxy work just fine or do I need to find some specific kind of resin. Sorry if this is a silly question, I may be overthinking this.
What exatly are you filling? Are you talking about under the knot to raise it higher in the handle?

A hollow vintage handle. I guess if it had a shelf I would leave it alone but the ER 150 I got like 7 years ago didn't and I filled the handle with epoxy and coins I think.
I think the 1st handle I put together I actually used quarters to fill out the inner diameter of the handle but then found that 1" OD Nylon Washers that I found at Ace Hdwe actually worked better and they sell them in different thicknesses as well. I epoxied them in after I figuered out how many I needed to set the loft I wanted. 2-part epoxy was what worked best for me but most guys just use silicone to set a knot so its easier to remove if your not happy with the set up and want to change it.

1705505501020.png

I have had good success with just filling with silicone bathroom and kitchen calk. I fill to the point I want the knot to be set at, let dry overnight and then glue the knot in the next day with the same Silicone.

If you like the weight of the handle with the knot that you're going to use, the weight of the epoxy isn't going to add that much to it. So just add as much epoxy as needed to create the "shelf" you're looking for to create the loft you want. Then epoxy the knot in over the top.

If you want more weight, like others have noted I've used pennies or nickels. I once wanted a lot more weight, so I put a couple of 124 grain 9mm bullets in the handle. That made it plenty heavy!

Top Bottom