What's new

Need advice, how do you travel with a suit?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
so something like this?

Black shoes and belt still would be fine? What about brown shoes?

Yes to the hat.

Yes to brown shoes & belt (fine for all but the most formal of occasions. But a wedding ain't a funeral ... shaddap youse married guys ... so you should be fine.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Thanks Doc. Plus it's on a cruise ship with a lively bunch of people. I think I'm set!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I feel as if I'm from a different era. There was a time when my only luggage was a garment bag. Easily held 3 days worth of clothing. Wore tweed on the plane as it resists wrinkling. A small travel steamer works wonders when hanging near the shower does not cut it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Alright there have been some changes.

My flight leaves next Thursday and I will not be traveling with a full suit. But I will be traveling with a sports jacket.

I've opted to forgo the full suit getup because it's Miami and it will be HOT. The wedding is in the am and after the wedding I know I won't be going back to the hotel right away - probably not until late at night. And I was thinking....I don't want to be wearing a full suit all day long in the Miami heat. I've spoken with a few attendees and it sounds like no one is going with a suit.

I'm getting the vibe that it's a very casual wedding. It is on a cruise ship after all.

So instead I'm going with khakis, a nice button down (not sure on color), brown shoes, brown belt, and either a black sports jacket or a tan sports jacket (I'm leaning towards the tan). I would also like to wear a hat as well.

I think I will be more comfortable in this get-up for an all day thing.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm thinking of this outfit.

Never mind the odd face I wasn't ready for the photo and was talking and moving

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've opted to forgo the full suit getup because it's Miami and it will be HOT. The wedding is in the am and after the wedding I know I won't be going back to the hotel right away - probably not until late at night.

I'm getting the vibe that it's a very casual wedding. It is on a cruise ship after all.

So instead I'm going with khakis, a nice button down (not sure on color), brown shoes, brown belt, and either a black sports jacket or a tan sports jacket (I'm leaning towards the tan). I would also like to wear a hat as well.

NOT THE BLACK JACKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

Sorry. Not the black jacket. It will be too formal ... and too ugly in the bright noonday sun ... not to mention suck in the heat and cook you like a roast potato at a clambake. As long as you avoid the black jacket, your plan sounds good.

I'm thinking of this outfit.

Smile, dude, smile!! You look like the guy the bride dumped to marry the actual groom, standing outside the wedding thinking "maybe if he doesn't show up, she'll pick me instead after all ..."

Never mind the odd face I wasn't ready for the photo and was talking and moving

Okay, you get a "pass".

:001_rolle

But please fix the trouser hem:

proxy.php

If you have a plain white dress shirt to wear, that'd make the look so much better (or even a solid pastel colour like pink, blue ... if you had enough of a tan I'd toss in yellow, but you look too pasty-northern like me, so I'll skip that one.)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm definitely pasty white. I don't tan, I burn...so I avoid the sun.

I'll have to call up mom and see if she can do a hem job before the trip. Didn't even cross my mind!

As for the shirt...I'm not diggin what I'm wearing now that I see myself in a picture. I can do plain white. I also have a solid pastel blue.

Thanks for the pointers Doc!

I'm definitely pasty white. I don't tan, I burn...so I avoid the sun.

I'll have to call up mom and see if she can do a hem job before the trip. Didn't even cross my mind!

As for the shirt...I'm not diggin what I'm wearing now that I see myself in a picture. I can do plain white. I also have a solid pastel blue.

Thanks for the pointers Doc!

Assuming it's humid in Miami, I'd suggest to go white unless you're good in the humidity from a sweating perspective. Blue is a devil for showing any moisture from sweat. (lesson learned the hard way!).

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Without looking at your location, I could tell from that outfit that you are from the South. And that is a good thing :thumbup1:

:lol: Well, I'm not from the South in the sense I was born here. I'm a Yankee by birth. But I live in Middle Tennessee. I guess I have adapted some. Yeee Haaaw!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Anyone ever use the Downy Wrinkle Release spray?

You mist it on your clothes and tug and wipe a few times and presto! (supposedly)

I picked up a little bottle to take with.

3 ways to pack a jacket- http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/how-to-fold-suit-jacket-3-ways/
(but I agree; best to wear it on the plane).

The garment bag is a nice idea instead of the carry-on boxy suitcase.

Finally, what airline are you guys flying? The last time I asked a delta flight attendant to hang up a jacket for me (I was in a sport coat dress pants and tie), she said "no," gave me a look like I was nuts, and claimed they had no place to hang it on the plane!

Mike

I traveled with a Lands End garment bag for years before going with wheeled luggage like everyone else about 20 years ago. I've gone back to shoulder bags, and put everything in that bag when I travel so I'm not carrying a bag and a briefcase. My Red Oxx Air Boss has been great for this. The bundle method of packing keeps shirts, pants, and sport coats nearly wrinkle free.

Tom Binh makes great shoulder bags as well that accomplish the same thing.

www.redoxx.com
www.tombinh.com
www.onebag.com
www.1bag1world.com

Cheers.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Well tomorrow is the day. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I've narrowed it down to one carry on bag and I'm wearing the jacket on the plane. I'll be rolling my t-shirts and folding my button ups. Gonna hope that wrinkle releaser stuff I bought actually works.

Pair of shorts, pair of jeans (wearing day of flight), and those pants in the picture. couple t-shirts, couple button ups. and presto. one carry on ready to go.

Thanks folks!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Worst case is that you get it pressed quickly upon arrival. Of course, with Miami humidity, any wrinkles might just give up the ghost!

Easiest is to wear the jacket on the plane and to pack the trousers. Other options I use are Eaglc Creek packing folder (follow diagram) or 'bundle packing' (do an online search). Have fun!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Easiest is to wear the jacket on the plane and to pack the trousers. Other options I use are Eaglc Creek packing folder (follow diagram) or 'bundle packing' (do an online search). Have fun!

Exactly what I did!

On a side note I think I was the best dressed on the plane. Even the first class travelers wore less.

Exactly what I did!

On a side note I think I was the best dressed on the plane. Even the first class travelers wore less.

+1. Yes indeed. People (especially airline people) notice when you are dressed a bit better than the average! As a frequent flyer this may help with an upgrade or get an extra drink IME! :001_smile

Top Bottom