What's new

Evan Williams White Label (Bonded)

I picked this up the other day and have not tried it yet. Looking over the labeling I see it is marked Charcoal Filtered and Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.

I thought the one thing that kept Jack Daniels from calling itself a bourbon was that they used charcoal filtering and according to the rules, you cannot label anything bourbon without following the strict rules.

The Evan Williams website is mum on the matter, thought I would ask if someone here has some information on this matter.

I really enjoy Evan Williams, in my opinion its the best bourbon out there (for me) for the buck I haven't seen this white label yet. I'll keep my peepers open next time I'm at the liquor store.

I picked this up the other day and have not tried it yet. Looking over the labeling I see it is marked Charcoal Filtered and Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.

I thought the one thing that kept Jack Daniels from calling itself a bourbon was that they used charcoal filtering and according to the rules, you cannot label anything bourbon without following the strict rules.

The Evan Williams website is mum on the matter, thought I would ask if someone here has some information on this matter.

I have been wondering about this, too. I think Jack Daniels is misrepresenting the distinction, but I am not sure. There are other restrictions on whether or not a whiskey can be classified as bourbon. It may also be a fact that some Tennissee Whiskey producers prefer to be known for their "terroir," even though they could be technically termed a bourbon.

Thanks for asking the question. Perhaps some one of our members can answer it.

I thought the classification between bourbon and whiskey was that bourbon has to be at LEAST 51% corn, and distilled in Kentucky whereas whiskey does not.
I suppose a whiskey could be made with the same exact recipe at 51% corn mash, but can't be called bourbon unless it's distilled in Kentucky. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought the classification between bourbon and whiskey was that bourbon has to be at LEAST 51% corn, and distilled in Kentucky whereas whiskey does not.
I suppose a whiskey could be made with the same exact recipe at 51% corn mash, but can't be called bourbon unless it's distilled in Kentucky. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct about the corn requirement, but incorrect about the location. Bourbon can be make anywhere in the USA.

By the way, all bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon. (Edit)

You are correct about the corn requirement, but incorrect about the location. Bourbon can be make anywhere in the USA.
Thanks for the clarification!
By the way, all bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon.
Yep! But is there any other requirement other than 51% corn? Any filtering, aging, etc requirements that you know of? Sorry OP I didn't mean to hijack thread but this has got me wondering.

Several bourbons are charcoal filtered. Jack Daniels could label its product as bourbon if they wanted to, but they choose not to. They market "Tennessee Whiskey" as a unique product in order to distinguish it from the bourbon herd, so to speak.

As to the original topic, I have had a couple of bottles of the white label and found it to be pretty decent stuff. It runs a $1 more per bottle than black label here, but I appreciate the higher proof vs black, and I like it a little more overall.

Last edited:
I looked for the White label EW at Total Wine last night and they don't stock it. :thumbdown

The Bevmo web site says they have it for shipping in California, but when I selected the Thousand Oaks store it was not on the list of available bottles. Perhaps they could have some delivered to the store for pick-up and avoid the shipping charges. I see it is available at my local Bevmo.

I just looked online, and none of the Spec's in Tarrant County have EW White, but there is some to be had in North Dallas. Total Wine in Arlington has the 750ml for $12 and the handle for $20.

I have never had the pleasure of the white, but I love the EW Single Barrels. I will have to pick up a bottle on the way home from work.

Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch has been and will continue to be a staple in my bar. It's an outstanding bourbon, regardless of the value price. I've heard good things about the White Label but haven't had the pleasure yet.

I just looked online, and none of the Spec's in Tarrant County have EW White, but there is some to be had in North Dallas. Total Wine in Arlington has the 750ml for $12 and the handle for $20.

I have never had the pleasure of the white, but I love the EW Single Barrels. I will have to pick up a bottle on the way home from work.

I'll have to stop at the Plano Total Wine at lunch to see if they have it.

For some reason I've never really noticed the white. I picked up a 750ml bottle for around $12 the other day. No idea why I haven't picked this one up. Maybe they didn't sell it where I used to live. This will absolutely replace WT 101 in my cabinet. This is a darn good everyday bourbon for under $15.

Picked a bottle of this up this week. It's okay. I had it built up in my mind because of reports like this. It didn't live up though. Not a bad bourbon, and at the price point I think it's pretty solid. Weller Antique beats it hands down for me, but it's also about $8 more too.

Top Bottom