What's new

perfume

hello!

should I wear perfume at work or not?

I like it when I smell someone with nice perfume, but there are dangers that if you put too much it will be annoying!

any opinions?

I don't know if this answers your question or not, but I do not wear cologne or aftershave for what other people can smell or how they will perceive it. I base it on whether or not I enjoy it or whether I would enjoy catching a whiff of it here and there throughout my day.

I know in my part of Canada they have sent restrictions or all out bans in some .Very hard to police.If I know I am going to the Dr. or hospital ,I do not put any on. I only use an aftershave for my cologne as well. I generally put a few drops in my palm rub in and apply.I find this a good quantity for me....

Depends on your work. As long as you don't have any internal restrictions, you can wear, but you need to be a little more careful what you wear and how much.

The thing with doctors offices is that some people suffer from fragrance sensitivity. Beside the obvious, that some people would go crazy with the sprayer and annoy anyone by simply being present, they would actually develop allergenic symptoms to people that are waiting at doctor's office and suffer of fragrance sensitivity. Those include sneezing or heavy breathing, making harder for the doctor to correctly diagnose people. Then, there are doctors that might suffer from this condition. Imagine them had to smell 100 different scents every day.

Now, about what you can wear, you need to be as non-offensive as you can be. So no clubbing fragrances like 1 Million or Joop! You will usually stay away of perfumes with huge projections, or with heavy base notes, that can be too sweet.

You can go with "clean" or inoffensive fragrances, like Mugler Cologne, Bvlgari pour Homme, Bleu de Chanel, Gucci Pour Homme II, Voyage D'Hermes, Prada Amber pour Homme. You won't want "fresh" ones, like Nautica Voyage or Versace Man Eau Fraiche, as they project pretty much, mostly because of apple/citrus notes. If you want to go more funky, you can use something like Terre D'Hermes. I would use this on an business dinner or meeting, during autumn or winter.

With the amount of sprays and where you apply it you need to be careful. You will usually go between 1 and 3 sprays. 1 for more perfumes that project more and 3 for ones that don't project too well. You will want your fragrance to be felt just when someone is very close of you. So, where you apply is also important. It's not so good to go with the neck or back of your neck with strong fragrances. You can use them on your chest, under the clothing, behind your knees if you are wearing more soft textile pants, you can around your arms, but not necessary on your wrists, but higher up, around shoulders, under clothing. With clean, not so strong fragrances, you can go on your pulse points, sides of the neck or wrists.

Also, your nose might fool you, especially if you wear same fragrance every day. Take a trusty impartial nose, wife, girlfriend or friend, to tell you if she or he can feel your smell too powerful. If it's felt at 1 meter, you definitely applied too much. If it can be felt at 30 cm, you applied to less.

I am a fragrance fanatic as well as wetshaving, but lately it has been fragrances. I have 35+ and wear a new one everyday of month. I love scents and once you get into smelling niche perfumes it's hard to not wear them!

Only downside is you normally have to wear unscented aftershaves, but It's a trade off I'm okay with making haha! Hope this helps!

Most every male wears scent to work - though more likely in the form of underarm antiperspirant and/or aftershave splash or balm. It's just that it wears off after a few hours.

You can choose to wear the same level of scent as they do, but such that it is better quality and that it lasts a lot longer.
Or you can choose to wear the amount of scent that women typically wear to work.
Or you can choose to wear whatever you like, so long as it doesn't cause any issues with people you work very close to space-wise.

You might want to have some subtle scents in your collection for the occasional time that your scent may cause some issues to someone else doing work. My subtle scent collection includes Bvlgari PH, Emporio Armani Lui and F Ferragamo. I remember using Bvlgari PH last time I was undergoing surgery, as I didn't want to distract the surgeon.
Regards,
Renato

Last edited:
I am with DastardlyDan on this one. I wear fragrance mostly because I like the scent myself not usually to please others. I definitely don't want to offend others either. Particularly in a workplace environment. I believe an inoffensive application strategy works the best. Depending on the strength of the fragrance a spray or two to the chest is usually sufficient. Of course adjust the amt of sprays if someone complains. I believe in being mindful of others in the workplace as well as wearing what pleases you.

Rick

We need to be clear about what we're talking about here. Straight perfume is rarely worn by men or even women for that matter. There are basically three forms generally from strongest to weakest: Eau de Parfum, Eau de Toilette, Eau de Cologne. I say generally because the strength can vary even in the same brand and are generally not comparable across different brands. With some brands the Cologne may be stronger than the Toilette or appear so, for example in Tabac Original. Personally, I prefer Cologne because it generally wears out faster and if I want it to last longer I can re-apply it.

Yes, wear fragrances to work. However, wear something versatile and easy on the trigger. One great example would be like Silver Mountain Water by Creed.

I wear a fragrance everyday to work (cubicle, corporate environment), but we do not have internal restrictions --- I would not wear any if it was against a policy of some sort. A majority of my fragrances are what I would classify as "office-safe":

- First and foremost, I enjoy the scent as I wear the fragrances for myself
- Subtle (low projection with non-sharp notes) scent that do not reach out an offend my neighbors or those stuck with me in an enclosed conference room ;)

Top Bottom