What's new

Feather AC DX too hot

I just got a Feather Artis Club DX Wood Handle. It's a beautiful razor and I hope it can be my daily driver but right now it is REALLY HOT on the neck area. I'm using the Feather Pro Blades but I think I might try the Feather Guard blades until I my technique improves.

The cheek area is not a problem at all. And I was at the point with a Dovo 6/8 where I was getting a comfortable DFS, no issues.

Does this sound typical for a newbie with Feather AC's?

Thanks.

Last edited:
beard map, and for some reason I'm able to get a safer shave drawing up the neck than down. That being said, it's certainly a place to be careful and don't hesitate to finish with a DE if you've left some spots and lines..

I started using this product as a replacement for my Noxzema Cleaning Cream in my pre-shave routine. I rub a small amount into my wet whiskers and brush lather my favorite soap or cream over the top. It has no smell so it will not interfere with your soap or cream scents.

It's a very slick shaving product and provides lots of skin protection. It really eliminated my irritation problems when I used my feather DX razor with a pro-blade. http://www.neutrogena.com/product/neutrogena+men-+sensitive+skin+shave+cream.do?sortby=ourPicks

You almost need negative pressure with a feather, the focus should be removing just that lather-don't worry about the hair, it will be there. If you use too much pressure then some skin will be too

I started using this product as a replacement for my Noxzema Cleaning Cream in my pre-shave routine. I rub a small amount into my wet whiskers and brush lather my favorite soap or cream over the top. It has no smell so it will not interfere with your soap or cream scents.

It's a very slick shaving product and provides lots of skin protection. It really eliminated my irritation problems when I used my feather DX razor with a pro-blade. http://www.neutrogena.com/product/neutrogena+men-+sensitive+skin+shave+cream.do?sortby=ourPicks
very good tip.
Purchased the AS from he same brand following someone's advise on this forum. Works very well
http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Razor-Defense-Shave-Lotion/dp/B001E96O4C

You almost need negative pressure with a feather, the focus should be removing just that lather-don't worry about the hair, it will be there. If you use too much pressure then some skin will be too

+1

Its almost comical how little pressure (zero, actually) you use with a Feather razor.

+1

Its almost comical how little pressure (zero, actually) you use with a Feather razor.

I'm thinking this may have a lot to do with the way the dx blade holder almost vacuums to the side of the face. This may be why a wet, less viscous base layer may be so effective? I'm looking forward to trying another good Neutrogena product. Thx guys!

"I used less pressure...and it worked!" :thumbup:

I also used a shallower angle and used the rounded blade holder edge as somewhat of a guard. A VERY light touch and low angle was the key.

I also used a "slicker" soap (Col. Conk Amber) and made sure the lather wasn't too thick. Someone mentioned a "suction" effect when the lather is too thick and that's exactly what I experienced.

Thanks to everyone here on B&B for great advice and encouragement! :thumbup1:

Feather AC is great.
Spyrodog, what is your preshave prep?

Shower, hot towel, lather and go to town. I've tried pre-shave oil but didn't notice a difference. I figured out I was using too much pressure (which was very minimal to begin with).

I tried the cold water (even though I wasn't sure if it was a joke played on newbies :lol:)...it was actually a great shave! :thumbup1:

Spyrodog, you might also want to try a glycerin soap prep. Just face lather with any transparent glycerin soap then rinse but leave behind the nice slippery glycerin layer. Then lather with your regular shave soap, but use more water than you had been previously. Many straight shavers prefer a looser lather over thicker.

Spyrodog, you might also want to try a glycerin soap prep. Just face lather with any transparent glycerin soap then rinse but leave behind the nice slippery glycerin layer. Then lather with your regular shave soap, but use more water than you had been previously. Many straight shavers prefer a looser lather over thicker.

Thanks! I read that Col. Conk Amber has a lot of glycerin so that's what I've been using and it seems to help. And you're right about the lather, it needs to be thinner than what I like for DE. Any other soap recommendations?

+1 for cold water. I also have the DX with wood scales. Best shaves I've ever had, but really don't like the Pro blades. My favorite is the ProGuard but I also like the SuperPro. Slick lather, the right angle and no pressure are shaving nNirvana for me!

So I've made some great progress, thanks to some very helpful tips and easing up on the pressure.

Once again, It wasn't the truck, it was the truck DRIVER!:lol:

Thanks guys, love the B&B!:thumbup:

Top Bottom