What's new

You can teach an old dog new tricks. ATT vs Aristocrat and more

Rather long, rambling discourse. Please skip if easily bored. I posted this in DE razor Forum, because primary content concerns the ATT razor, but other topics too.

I have been a B&B member since 2008, although not very active the past few years because I thought I had reached that point in my shave life where I was on a high plateau of competence and satisfaction, both with my equipment and my results. No need for further exploration. When I first joined B&B, like most newbies I went through the usual rad, bad, etc. My first razor was a Futur, perhaps both the worst and best choice for a noob. The worst, because its unforgiving aggressiveness can quickly discourage someone who is not stubborn and persistent, which I am. It may be the best because you either learn proper technique rather quickly or you end up with a face like raw meat, which I did for awhile. I learned on the Futur, but soon decided that it was not the razor for me. My beard is not heavy and stiff only on upper lip and chin. I wanted a mild razor. I went through quite a few Gillettes: fat boy, tech, flare, new, slim. and various SE too. The slim fit me best. I was fortunate to get a NOS gold 1960's slim adjustable (Aristocrat) which quickly became my everyday razor. Blade acquisition was similar, tried many, settled on Feather as the best in my Aristocrat, set on 3 or 4. I was happy and that was my setup for the last couple of years ,only experimented with creams.

(Aside: I am rather compulsive with my Aristocrat. After each shave I remove the blade, rinse it and wash the head of the razor with detergent to remove all traces of soap scum. I then reassemble and store in Barbicide. Still looks like new.)

Then I came back to B&B recently to see what, if anything was new. I was intrigued by the new stainless steel razors. After much research I bought an ATT M1. What a revelation, what a discovery! I was experienced enough to realize that this razor required some adjustment in my technique, but that was quickly learned after only a few trials. I was quite satisfied with the shaves from my Aristocrat, and thought they were the "best a man can get". But the ATT was on another level entirely! The improvement was primarily in the closeness of the shave, as evidenced by how long the BBS feeling lasted, and also the comfort and smoothness, as good as the very mild slim. I consider the Aristocrat one of the vintage classics, but the ATT has to be considered a modern classic in my opinion. Much has been written about the quality and beauty of its manufacture, and this certainly adds to the pleasure of shaving with it. But if that were its only quality, it would be good only as a museum piece. The fact is, function follows form beautifully in this razor.
Another thing I learned from this razor: I had always pretty much equated that elusive quality called "aggressiveness" with blade gap. How wrong I was. On the ATT web site Stan has published (under FAQ) blade gaps for a wide variety of vintage and modern razors. One can easily see by eye that the gap on the ATT M1 is infinitesimal. Stan puts it at 0.25 mm. That compares to 0.56 for a Tech, and 0.68 to 0.74 for my slim at 3 or 4! Yet I know and this is verified by many others that while this is a mild razor, it is certainly more aggressive than these Gillettes. So there is more than blade gap as the determining factor. The ATT has a rather large blade exposure. I think this, along with the curvature of the head and blade gap along with the angle of attack ( a factor of technique as well as head design) combine to produce what we call "aggressiveness", so it is much more complex than I had thought.
Finally, I learned that Feather is not the only sharp blade on the block. Reading some blade reviews prompted me to try the Polsilver SI. I was pleasantly surprised that the Polsilver is easily able to hold its own with Feather, and may even be a bit longer-lived. I also found the Astra SP to be a very good smooth moderately priced blade
Bottom line: I learned much, after I thought I knew it all (or at least knew enough). So don't become complacent. Traditional shaving may not be metaphysics or even physics (although I think both come into play), but there is always more to learn. Speaking of which. I have many questions which I will be posting in the future. Hope to learn more.

Last edited:
Congrats on the ATT. I bought, one used it for a week, and bought two more. It was like a whole different level of comfortable. I not only love the shaves, but love the idea that they will last forever, and be passed on. Other than an EJ89 for travel, I have put away or PIFFed the rest of my razors. They have also cured me of all RAD. I never so much wanted a collection, but was always looking for a "better one". Done. I know there are some other fine SS razors out there, but for the foreseeable future, I have everything I could ever want to shave with in those three razors.

I feel the same way Jared. But I think I may also get the R1 head to see if I can use a bit more aggressiveness and maybe an M2 to try OC)??:001_rolle

I too just got and started using the ATT M1, and I have also found that the closeness of the shave lasts much longer than with my previous mild razor. The efficiency of the M1 is on a very different level (I don't really like the term aggressive).

Welcome to the ATT club!

Maybe try an S head? (I have S2) I have never had such an easy time shaving the middle of my neck. I just am so easily getting that angled pass (weird growth) on both sides of my adam's apple up towards my chin. It's the only place where I ever get irritation if I try to get too close, and now I can get DFS easily there, and do it every day.

Maybe try an S head? (I have S2) I have never had such an easy time shaving the middle of my neck. I just am so easily getting that angled pass (weird growth) on both sides of my adam's apple up towards my chin. It's the only place where I ever get irritation if I try to get too close, and now I can get DFS easily there, and do it every day.

I'm seriously considering this, although I was thinking about the S1 as I've never tried an open comb razor before. Any thoughts?

I love my open combs. It's totally a YMMV thing, but when I'm shaving, (normally I am a two pass, and cleanup guy) on my second pass, I kind of just feel the area I finished, and touch up where I need to. The OC seems to leave just enough soap behind for this, if this makes sense. And totally based on opinon, I just like the way they look. With ATT, I have only tried OC, but I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Great review and welcome back to B&B!

I'm an unrepentant ATT fanboy - haven't touched another razor since the day it arrived in early January. I've had no interest in any other since then. :thumbup:

Either the S1 or S2 will give you a great shave.

Glad to hear that you are thoroughly enjoying the ATT razor. Truly the results must be experienced to be believed! Good luck in your quest to acquire more than 1 plate and make it work for you. Besides that, I highly suggest that you try pairing up the head plate of your choosing with other handles - either other ATT handles or aftermarket. The change in weight and what you think is a great shave will only surprise you and show you that with some experimentation your shave can rise to yet another level.

I used the R1 for the first time last night. When I bought an ATT razor I started with an R2, which was just to harsh. Moved on to the S1, which I like a lot but I had trouble getting close shaves on the jawline, so I moved on to the M1. Although comfortable, it's just not efficient enough for my needs. I thought the M2 might be a sweet spot between the M1 and R2 but, like the R2, the open comb just wan't comfortable for me. So now I'm trying the R1. It's significantly more efficient than the M1 and is fairly comfortable to boot. I wouldn't hesitate recommending the S1 or R1.

I have never had a comfortable shave with the M1: tagging, razor burns, etc. I have no idea what I've done wrong so far. However, I found both the M1 and S2 to work well with my skills/skin/beard.

I'm seriously considering this, although I was thinking about the S1 as I've never tried an open comb razor before. Any thoughts?

I like threads from new ATT users singing its praises. I had the same experience, except with the R1. I went ahead and tried all their heads anyway (except for the H2), but really--how do you improve on perfection?

Nice! Congrats on the ATT! IMO, one of the best razors, period. I have the Slant Combo with a Colossus handle and have a 5 piece Open Comb with a Kronos handle on the way.

And Stan is a great guy to deal with. He answers all questions!

Enjoy those shaves!:thumbup:

Top Bottom