What's new

Coates Creams

There is a gentlemen on the interwebs that sells copious amounts of this discontinued cream. He has a claim that some of the tubes may be 1/2 full due to expiry. Indeed this was the case on 1 out of 2 tubes purchased, emailed for replacement tube. He responded after 3 days and is shipping another tube. Anyone else here have dried out tubes? The quality of the cream is excellent b.t.w. and it seems to be a great bargain.

Last edited:
Au contraire mon ami,

I ordered the 6-pack (1 of each flavor) several months ago and Almond was missing. I emailed him, he apologized and promptly replaced it plus sent me another tube of my choice to make up for his mistake. I think he is an up front guy and a safe bet with whom to do business.

Au contraire mon ami,

I ordered the 6-pack (1 of each flavor) several months ago and Almond was missing. I emailed him, he apologized and promptly replaced it plus sent me another tube of my choice to make up for his mistake. I think he is an up front guy and a safe bet with whom to do business.
I would agree, he replied today, better late than never. He's shipping out another tube.

Glad it worked out. As much as we all like faster responses to things like this, usually when folks are selling stuff as a hobby or sideline, as I guess in this case, real life can interfere from time to time and cause delays in responding to questions.

Glad it worked out. As much as we all like faster responses to things like this, usually when folks are selling stuff as a hobby or sideline, as I guess in this case, real life can interfere from time to time and cause delays in responding to questions.

+1. Travel and work can play havoc with responses.

He is great to deal with. How about an edit to your first post..............or "I apologize for jumping the gun".

4 days-"Better late than never"?? Really?

Last edited:
He is great to deal with. How about an edit to your first post..............or "I apologize for jumping the gun".

Well the tube was half full and he says on his site this can happen because they dry out from age. First tube was o.k., second one was .5 full, the response was 'hmm, I've never heard of that' yet he posts it right on the site. Found it quite odd.

Is this old stuff (2007 !!) Better than a fresh TOBS or TH #10 which is cheaper per gram?

In terms of function? IMO, no. Coate's was manufactured by Creighton's - the same company that makes all the other upper-tier English brands. As such, its performance is roughly the same as the others, assuming it hasn't suffered any due to dehydration. However, some people like certain scents unique to the brand, or might like the fact it's a blast from wet shaving's past. (T&H #10 has some additional ingredients, so it is a somewhat different cream compared to the rest of the brand's offerings.)

I question your math, however. If I found the right website for this seller, his prices are pretty reasonable. The more you buy, the lower the unit price, but even the highest, single-tube cost equals 6.9 cents per ml/gram; package deals reduce the price considerably. Standard T&H costs 15 cents per gram at retail; T&H #10 costs 10.5 cents per gram. TOBS costs 9.3 cents per ml/gram at retail. So, from this seller, Coate's is the better deal on a gram-for-gram basis - again, assuming the cream quality is up to snuff.

Last edited:
Well the tube was half full and he says on his site this can happen because they dry out from age. First tube was o.k., second one was .5 full, the response was 'hmm, I've never heard of that' yet he posts it right on the site. Found it quite odd.

But you did hear back from him. Your original post makes no mention of that. In fairness not only to the seller but to other members as well, it might be prudent of you to update the original post, rather than trusting people will discover the correction further down the thread.

You assumed I reside in the us, but not I live in the UK and shipping is expensive .

Ah, I see. I hadn't taken shipping into account, since US shipping is affordable enough to be a virtual non-factor. With that in mind, my opinion (as one who has used all of the English brands) is that you're probably better off using the current English brands that are easier to find and more affordable. That isn't to say Coate's wouldn't be fun for you to try, but in terms of economy, I don't think the brand offers anything the other brands don't, aside from some unique scents. If you were to buy it expecting something dramatically different and amazing, I honestly think you would be disappointed.

He responded a few hours after I posted on here. Edited original post, less abrasive.

Last edited:
Disagree, I used to sell on Ebay as as sideline and have over 5000 transactions with 100% feedback, no excuse for slow responses.

Disagree, I used to sell on Ebay as as sideline and have over 5000 transactions with 100% feedback, no excuse for slow responses.

So, if he'd been in the hospital, or he had to leave the country to visit his dying mother in Belgrade, or he caught his wife cheating with the poolboy and was so depressed he wasn't able to get out of bed for a week...none of that flies with you?

Let's agree that business practices differ and, our approval of those practices aside, these problems seem to be taken care of?

This gentleman had the foresight to buy a huge lot of discontinued shaving cream which, after receiving my sampler pack 2 weeks ago, I can comfortably say plays in the same league as the best shave creams I know of, including Castle Forbes, XPEC and Penhaligon's. Great stuff!

Let's agree that business practices differ and, our approval of those practices aside, these problems seem to be taken care of?

This gentleman had the foresight to buy a huge lot of discontinued shaving cream which, after receiving my sampler pack 2 weeks ago, I can comfortably say plays in the same league as the best shave creams I know of, including Castle Forbes, XPEC and Penhaligon's. Great stuff!
+1 :)

So, if he'd been in the hospital, or he had to leave the country to visit his dying mother in Belgrade, or he caught his wife cheating with the poolboy and was so depressed he wasn't able to get out of bed for a week...none of that flies with you?
If these any of these tragedies had actually happened wouldn't he have mentioned them in the reply? 3 days is too long yes, do I suggest avoiding this merchant? No, I edited the original post. Would I buy again? Maybe, not based on customer service, but the fact that it's a gamble whether the product is all there or not, which is mentioned on his site.

I've always has excellent dealings with this gentleman. The Coates creams I have bought from have all been great. Due to their age,some,and in some tubes,most,of the scent has disappeared. However,at the price he sells them ,they are a real bargain,IMO

Craig

Top Bottom