What's new

Vintage razor ID?

Greetings folks!

I am very new to the world of vintage razors and I just purchased this razor from eBay.

$vintage gillette.jpg

It is described as a Vintage Gillette "The New" Open Comb Safety Razor - 1930’s.

It looks similar to this one I found on mr-razor.com, except that mine says ‘MADE IN USA’ on the baseplate.

$1930s NEW Canada.jpg

Can someone verify if the one I got from eBay (top photo) is in fact a ‘Gillette New’, and whether it might be a short or long comb; or anything else I should know about it?

Thank you, Phil.

Wow ... VERY nice Long Comb NEW, congrats! :thumbup:

That's a great shaver. They were made in the US, Canada and England.

EDIT: I see yours is a pre-patents razor, which means it was made between 1929-'32 or so. Razors made after 1932-'33 have the patent numbers. Here's an example (different handle but the head is the same):

proxy.php

Last edited:
Wow ... VERY nice Long Comb NEW, congrats! :thumbup:

That's a great shaver. They were made in the US, Canada and England.

EDIT: I see yours is a pre-patents razor, which means it was made between 1929-'32 or so. Razors made after 1932-'33 have the patent numbers. Here's an example (different handle but the head is the same):

proxy.php

Thank you for that Edgar.....very, very much appreciated! I thought it looked pretty nice in the photos on eBay. There is significant plating wear on the cap, but otherwise the condition looks quite good. I'm enjoying learning about vintage razors, and your knowledge on the subject is certainly an invaluable asset to B&B. Thanks again! :biggrin1:

Top Bottom