What's new

The Cap Toe boot

First of all, thanks for helping me on my way towards high quality footwear heaven. I've needed to buy some quality footwear for some time. Past jobs provided free steel toe boots for work, so shoes were not much of an issue. My grandfather recently passed away, and my mother gave my brothers and I a little bit of money he left with the stipulation we actually spend it on something useful (instead of going to bills, or general spending etc).

I settled on a pair of AE Daltons which are absolutely awesome. Down the road, I'll probably pick up a pair of AE Park Avenues for the few times in a year I need to wear a black dress shoe.

Right now though, I'm looking for a Cap Toe Boot, with a Danite/ or rubber type sole. I love the Iron Rangers (and even 1000K mile, even though its not a cap toe), but I really want an option for the rainy season, and small amounts of snow we get in Western NC.

I really like both the AE Bayfield and Eagle River, however both are discontinued. Eagle River has at least 1 left in my size on The Shoe Bank, however its in a lighter brown that is close to the Walnut color of my Daltons. I'd prefer a darker brown for this pair. I'd also prefer a rubber bottom to the sole, but not a full lug sole. Recraftable as well.

Any other suggestions in the $300 or less range?

For those who dare.

$iu-3.jpeg

Iron Rangers are a solid bet. If you want a lug sole J. Crew offers an IR with a lug. White's semi dress is another classic option. Consider Alden as well, pricey but well constructed. I believe they have many boots with danite.

Personally I'd avoid the 1000 miles. The cromexcel leather doesn't wear too well over time.

I've only seen the IRs with leather sole. I'll have to check out what J Crew has to offer.

There are a few others that I've seen like the Oak Street Trench, Alden Jumper etc. I really like them, but I was hoping to spend slightly less.

Last edited:
First of all, thanks for helping me on my way towards high quality footwear heaven. I've needed to buy some quality footwear for some time. Past jobs provided free steel toe boots for work, so shoes were not much of an issue. My grandfather recently passed away, and my mother gave my brothers and I a little bit of money he left with the stipulation we actually spend it on something useful (instead of going to bills, or general spending etc).

I settled on a pair of AE Daltons which are absolutely awesome. Down the road, I'll probably pick up a pair of AE Park Avenues for the few times in a year I need to wear a black dress shoe.

Right now though, I'm looking for a Cap Toe Boot, with a Danite/ or rubber type sole. I love the Iron Rangers (and even 1000K mile, even though its not a cap toe), but I really want an option for the rainy season, and small amounts of snow we get in Western NC.

I really like both the AE Bayfield and Eagle River, however both are discontinued. Eagle River has at least 1 left in my size on The Shoe Bank, however its in a lighter brown that is close to the Walnut color of my Daltons. I'd prefer a darker brown for this pair. I'd also prefer a rubber bottom to the sole, but not a full lug sole. Recraftable as well.

Any other suggestions in the $300 or less range?

JCrew has brown suede cap toes for ~$200 right now.

These are on my short list for new boots when I need them. William Lennon.
http://rufflander.co.uk/shop/heritage-footwear/78tc-traditional-work-boot/
Some nice option on the web page. If you don't see want you want just ask them. They make the boots to order anyway. My two cents worth anyway.
Johnny

I have that very boot!
Supplied as standard it is very comfortable and completely bomb proof! It will see me out and probably my son too! In fact I like Lennon's boots so much I have three different styles.

Gareth

So this is closer to what I'm looking for:

Viberg Service Boot, which has a thinner profile to the rubber sole, and a more pointed toe, compared to the IR and 1000k.

I've been looking at some of the William Lennon stuff too. Prices look attractive, but I'll have to see with shipping overseas. Looks like an awesome company, and I should be able to customize one of the styles to a sole that I like.

If you want a boot like that made by Red Wing it's the Beckman. Iron Rangers have a hard rubber/cork sole that'll put you on your butt on wet grass or leaves :) I love mine, but on rainy days I wear a pair of Thorogood 685 if I need traction. Similar cork sole, but it's grippy. No real way to explain this unless you were here in person for me to demonstrate. But the Iron Ranger is a really slick sole in snow and wet weather.

Yes thats what I'm trying to avoid. I'm leaning towards the slimmer profile/toe box of the Viberg Service Boot or AE Bayfield with a slim profile that will be better for the inclimate weather we get in Western NC. Nothing extreme here, some rain a few snows in the winter. No worries about water proofing etc. I have light hikers and heavy waterproof hikers with full on lug sole for the real stuff.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Do you "need" it to be a captoe, or is any similar boot w. rubber sole suitable?

One thing to be aware of ... there is a lot of variance out there in terms of where the boots fit on the work/casual/dress continuum, and you should be clear with yourself (and with us so we can suggest approprioatelty) where your interests lie. A 'dressy" boot usually is still boot-y enough to be dressed down, but other boots don't really do well 'suited up'.

Yea, its not REALLY necessary for it to be cap toe. I just kind of like the look. Moc toe (like the Indy) is fine too.

Looking for something more along the lines of a dress/fashion boot that can be dressed down more than a work boot that can be dressed up. I do not have to wear suits to work. Chinos and the managers Oxford uniform shirts from Cintas are my every day work attire. I have passable dress shoes for now when the need arises and will be investing in some better quality ones at some point in this year. Probably AE Leeds or Park Ave when a good deal comes up.

Top Bottom