What's new

Why I have trouble supporting my local B&M

I want to shop at my local B&M, I really do. But, here's my situation.

Proraso Brush:
B&M: $21.99
Italian Barber: $14.99

Proraso Green Tub:
B&M: $9.99
Italian Barber: $7.75

Once you add sales tax, the difference on just two items is $11.56.

I shop for items maybe once per year, a brush, a couple of tubs of soap, a year or two worth of blades, a couple of aftershaves. The difference would be the entire cost of the order itself!

They do have Arko sticks for $1.99 so I buy a couple of those, but, I really can't justify more than that.

Has anyone seen such a disparity in price their local B&M if they have one?

-Greg

I can get the typical stuff at the Drugstore, Walmart and Target and my only "shaving shop" specializes in Merkur and Col. Conk. The Merkur stuff is all Zamak junk with no Customer Service support and their Col. Conk stuff is half again more than the on-line vendors. The few brushes, Badger only they refuse to carry boar, are about double the on-line vendor prices.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I do not understand, with shipping, Proraso is $14.70 from IB
Your Brick & Mortor store is much cheaper.

$Capture.JPG

Wait for the B&M to have a sale.

Picked up a boat load of Trumper's, Truefitt & Hill, Penhaligon's, ToBS, and Floris (soaps, creams, AS, and EDC) at 50-75% off.

What can I say... I'm a bottom feeder :yesnod:

I want to shop at my local B&M, I really do. But, here's my situation.

Proraso Brush:
B&M: $21.99
Italian Barber: $14.99

Proraso Green Tub:
B&M: $9.99
Italian Barber: $7.75

Once you add sales tax, the difference on just two items is $11.56.

I shop for items maybe once per year, a brush, a couple of tubs of soap, a year or two worth of blades, a couple of aftershaves. The difference would be the entire cost of the order itself!

They do have Arko sticks for $1.99 so I buy a couple of those, but, I really can't justify more than that.

Has anyone seen such a disparity in price their local B&M if they have one?

-Greg
I personally do shop at the local b&m, simply because I like the browsing and chatting part, and also because I want to support local business. If you shop once a year, how can these small sums be the only thing keeping you from supporting your local shop?

To me, part of the premium being paid is for the ability to browse and chat, ask questions, smell, etc. I don't get this desperate hunt for every dollar. (No offense against you.) It will eventually drive the b&m's out of business.

Just because it's cheap to me also doesn't mean that there's no one who has to pay a higher price: the b&m owner, for losing business, the underaged kid who makes the product, etc.

But I'm also the one who wants "a guy" for everything. Someone I know and trust with having the expertise I want. It feels ... genuine. And it's also lots of fun.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Ordering in bulk and such; sure the local store will cost a chunk more. However, supporting small business in your community (if it is a small business rather than a B&B of a big chain) is always a good thing in my book, even if it does cost a little more. I have no problem throwing a few extra bucks for a big bottle of Clubman at a local beauty store, even if the sales ladies behind the counter did tell me that it was for black men. :tongue_sm

The only problem I have with The Groom Room in Ames is that I can easily get more than a year worth of everything I need at one time, so don't get in to see Troy all that often.

Re your local brick & mortar shop, keep this in mind.
1. You can touch, feel, sample items there that you cannot do online.
2. You can return an item for replacement or refund that might not be right, which is more expensive (shipping, time) to do online.
3. You can ask questions and get information immediately at your local shop, which may not be as convenient online.
4. Your local B&M shop will plow back some of its revenue to your local economy, which your online vendor will certainly not be able to do.

Re your local brick & mortar shop, keep this in mind.
1. You can touch, feel, sample items there that you cannot do online.
2. You can return an item for replacement or refund that might not be right, which is more expensive (shipping, time) to do online.
3. You can ask questions and get information immediately at your local shop, which may not be as convenient online.
4. Your local B&M shop will plow back some of its revenue to your local economy, which your online vendor will certainly not be able to do.

+1 very good points.

I made a table comparing pricing on items between the online and B&M stores I use.
For many items the cost is the same, and for some a bit cheaper at the B&M.

For the above reasons I support the B&M store when I can.

Except for blades, everything else I could get away easily buying whilst out on a bicycle ride. I had that one store that carried different blades, and after they mentioned they would get in some more brands, they've packed up and moved away! The only other option is Personna at a buck a blade, and Schick way over a buck a blade! And yes, when you need a bunch of things, Italian Barber is perfect because a few items will get you free shipping, but you don't always run out of everything at once, so as long as you're under the free shipping mark, the cost is seldom worth it.

I live where you live and I did not know we even had such a B&M. I thought The Art of Shaving, in the reaches of mall-lands such as Polaris, was the closest thing. In defense of your B&M I do not see if you regularly get free shipping with the items that are better priced online. Some people would consider the convenience of live shopping and sparing any shipping charges to be worth it. Supporting a local merchant and local jobs would be gravy.
Generally speaking, online sources do not have to maintain retail display, do not have to keep retail hours with requisite coverage with retail help, do not have to pay prime retail rents, have an easier time of controlling damage and pilferage losses, and enjoy a lot of other benefits not afforded to retail B&M. Ideally some of that savings gets passed on to customers. In the 1990s it was widely predicted that eCommerce would relegate B&M to obsolescence, but that did not happen.
As for the general lack of such stores, this is the good 'ol USA; so I suppose anyone who sees the void and is willing to take the risk of trying to fulfill it is free to start an enterprise.

I live where you live and I did not know we even had such a B&M. I thought The Art of Shaving, in the reaches of mall-lands such as Polaris, was the closest thing. In defense of your B&M I do not see if you regularly get free shipping with the items that are better priced online. Some people would consider the convenience of live shopping and sparing any shipping charges to be worth it. Supporting a local merchant and local jobs would be gravy.
Generally speaking, online sources do not have to maintain retail display, do not have to keep retail hours with requisite coverage with retail help, do not have to pay prime retail rents, have an easier time of controlling damage and pilferage losses, and enjoy a lot of other benefits not afforded to retail B&M. Ideally some of that savings gets passed on to customers. In the 1990s it was widely predicted that eCommerce would relegate B&M to obsolescence, but that did not happen.
As for the general lack of such stores, this is the good 'ol USA; so I suppose anyone who sees the void and is willing to take the risk of trying to fulfill it is free to start an enterprise.

Rivers edge cutlery in Hilliard. They bought out columbus barber supply some time ago. Top notch guys and they have a lot of items for sale. Unlike OP, I don't mind paying their premium. It's local, they have the service to justify the price, and ya can't beat instant gratification!

Check it out sometime. We are lucky to have those guys local.

Edit: this assuming op meant rivers edge... it's the only brick and mortar store that I know. Se barbershops carry brushes, etc and they are super marked up. Well, in new albany at least :glare:

Last edited:
Hello,

Has anybody ever considered starting a thread on brick and mortar stores by state and town?
I would love to support local businesses especially small ones.

I live in Rhode Island and my choices are limited to AOS, big box and drug stores that I'm aware of. That is not a lot of choices for fairly priced products.
So maybe that's when Joe Razor from Providence posts a B&M store located in the next town over that sells quality products that I wasn't aware of. It would be like a digital system of word of mouth. Thoughts?

Cheers
John

Top Bottom