What's new

Aftershave samples review

Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm:
Very soothing and moisturizing. Does not sting my neck like the Q10.
However.... I do not like the scent. Not the same as the other nivea. Instead has a somewhat sharp smell, almost a pine like smell. Wish it was the same and it would be awesome. But alas, not for me.

Preferred Stock:
So this aftershave is very much like the cologne of the same name. I wrote a review the other day but must have forgotten to hit submit.
First thing I noticed on this AS is a citrus lemon scent. Followed closely by a lavender one. It also has a fresh background maybe vetiver(?) And something slightly woody.
The lavender is top throughout the day and the vetiver(?) Is noticeable as well. Decent scent for a man. Lasts a long time and is very strong to start.

Adidas Deep Energy:
Nice scent for good price. Strong orange citrus scent. Maybe some bergamot as well. Also a woody spice maybe cedar. Orange scent lasts a long time. Could sense it in shower later that day. Very refreshing not overpowering. Not fancy but it does the job.

Gilette Cool Wave:
Very sweet citrus smell to start. Very strong. Hard to like at first. Dries down to a nice sweet and slightly spicy smell. Also a little wood. But sweetness always throughout. Could smell in shower 20 hours later, but didn't seem overpowering throughout the the day. Hard to describe but nice. Not as good as an AS like Floid but for 4$plus change why not try it.
BTW this comes in a nice glass bottle. Even has the lot#and expiration date etched into the glass.
Might be nice for a decanter bottle when empty.
One more thing.. This has a decent alcohol burn, not to much but it is there. Absolutely no menthol, strange to call it cool wave without menthol

Last edited:
Stetson Cooling Moisture AS:
Stetson smell. This smells almost spot on to the cologne. There is a slight amount of menthol cooling to it, not enough to please freeze freaks, but enough to feel it. The scent is very strong. Stayed with me all day. It is funny how it is hard to describe scents of colognes you always knew. Hard to say what the notes are, but it is a nice blending, same as the cologne but with a little menthol. Definitely a warm scent, earthy. It did leave my neck a little sticky(I probably used too much) but didn't dry my skin out. Price is right for this one too. $5 and change. Warning it is strong, probably could be diluted if needed as you don't want to be that guy.

Stetson Cooling Moisture AS:
Stetson smell. This smells almost spot on to the cologne. There is a slight amount of menthol cooling to it, not enough to please freeze freaks, but enough to feel it. The scent is very strong. Stayed with me all day. It is funny how it is hard to describe scents of colognes you always knew. Hard to say what the notes are, but it is a nice blending, same as the cologne but with a little menthol. Definitely a warm scent, earthy. It did leave my neck a little sticky(I probably used too much) but didn't dry my skin out. Price is right for this one too. $5 and change. Warning it is strong, probably could be diluted if needed as you don't want to be that guy.

Yes its good, tried it

Pinaud Lilac Vegetal:
OK. So in the spirit of the Veg I decided to do a video of my first experience:
[video]https://plus.google.com/photos/111177067733362453505/albums/6145100255039726689[/video]
So definitely a little powder and some Lilac sweetness.
I'll update to let you know
you let me know if video works.
Not sure if i got it right

Nice video. Thanks! It seems that you enjoyed it. For years I only used the Veg on Fridays, when I didn't have a carpool rider. The last couple of years, I stopped caring and used it any time I wanted to. Then my rider retired, and I can use it every day if I want. Veg heaven!

Pinaud Clubman:
This to me smells like the classic barber shop smell. It has a sweet oily scent(but is by no means oily-mostly alcohol and very drying). Plus a talc powder smell. This powder is not as strong as either of the Floid Vigoroso or Suave. If you like barber shop smell this one is for you.(Smells like a fresh haircut)

+1. Excellent description. To me this is the essence of the barbershop in my home town in upstate NY.

Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue:
I cannot believe that I have never tried this. It has been on the shelves for years and I always thought ehh how good could it be.
It is quite nice. Has a really good menthol freeze. Felt great. Has a nice fresh scent to it. Very clean. It is a scent that will stick with you all day, but is not overpowering. If you thought AV was ehh and never actually tried it, give it a go. You never know you might like it too.

Aqua Velva Musk:
This sounded promising. Aqua Velva check.. Musk check.. How could they mess it up. Ooh boy they did. Not a hint of menthol in this. Doesn't even remind me of AV in any way. Yes there is a musk scent but no redeeming this. At least not for me. I felt like this smelled of cheap perfume. No solid notes just a smell of cheap. Well it was cheap so at least I'm not out that much. Even though I didn't like it maybe you will.
(I may revisit this in the future, perhaps I was having an off day. Got to give it a chance I guess.)

Folsom & Company Black Powder:
Comes in a very nice glass bottle simple yet masculine. The scent is really nice. A sweet spicy smell. And by sweet I mean that it is a sweet spice not sweet plus spice. Although I could detect a small amount of lavender it was not overpowering. I really like this. Has an alcohol bite at first and a menthol cool as well. Not a super cool but more than Stetson above. After dry down a very subtle scent that I could detect and others would have to be close up. Could smell almost 24 hours later when doing a little work and body was warming up. Not too bad of a price, try the sample if you like, but if you like spice than I think you'll like this.

I know that Suave and Vigorosso smell very similar. But can you tell me/us how the Amber compares to the Suave and Vig?
Well without trying them again I took them out and put them on some paper. The Suave and Vigoroso have the exact same scent except that Vigoroso has the menthol kick. Amber has a different powder smell to it and not as overwhelming as the Spanish Floid s. The Amber also has a sweet smell with a musky undertone. The Amber has a barber shop powder smell talc like, the Vig and Sauve have a different powder smell not to my liking. But everyone has different tastes, many love the Spanish versions.

Folsom &Company Muir:
A blast of cedar. Very nice woody scent. Has same alcohol burn as the BP, but has a stronger menthol freeze. A little bit of some spice but mostly woody. Lasts about 12 hours up close, about 4 at a distance.

Well without trying them again I took them out and put them on some paper. The Suave and Vigoroso have the exact same scent except that Vigoroso has the menthol kick. Amber has a different powder smell to it and not as overwhelming as the Spanish Floid s. The Amber also has a sweet smell with a musky undertone. The Amber has a barber shop powder smell talc like, the Vig and Sauve have a different powder smell not to my liking. But everyone has different tastes, many love the Spanish versions.

Thanks. I've got a 150 ml bottle of Suave that I'm using almost every day now. I like it, but nowhere near as much as Blue. I just love Floid Blue. I've tried a sample of Vigorosso and preferred that somewhat toned done Suave. I agree that they smell very much alike. Maybe I'll try a sample of the Amber. There are places selling a large bottle of it for a pretty reasonable price.

Thanks. I've got a 150 ml bottle of Suave that I'm using almost every day now. I like it, but nowhere near as much as Blue. I just love Floid Blue. I've tried a sample of Vigorosso and preferred that somewhat toned done Suave. I agree that they smell very much alike. Maybe I'll try a sample of the Amber. There are places selling a large bottle of it for a pretty reasonable price.
You're welcome. I really like Floid Blue also. That and Black. I just recently bought a Black and a Blue from the Italian barber. Very quick delivery.

Top Bottom