What's new

Aftershave samples review

Pinaud Lilac Vegetal: Part II
Okay so this is a follow up to my original review. I tried it again for a second shot.
I do love the sweetness of the Lilac smell in this aftershave.
However- The lingering powder smell that sticks with me throughout the day is a deal breaker for me. Oh how I wish this was made without the powder.
If you like Lilacs- then go for it. If you like powder too than this is for you.
I am sad to say it is not for me. I am only half chosen (if that is possible)
Anyone know of a Lilac without the powder let me know.

Masters Iceland Breeze is a lilac vegital type of scent with menthol. Kinda weird catching wifs of menthol and lilacs but the menthol only sticks around for a few moments. Then it's just a nice lilac scent. I really like it.

Masters Iceland Breeze is a lilac vegital type of scent with menthol. Kinda weird catching wifs of menthol and lilacs but the menthol only sticks around for a few moments. Then it's just a nice lilac scent. I really like it.
Awesome- I'll have to try that. Thanks

Speick:
So this aftershave makes a special appearance. It wasn't in any of my pictures, because I didn't get it as a sample. All the sample shops were out of it at the time. When they had it again, the price of the sample vs the price of a full bottle when I was only getting one item made me decide to purchase a full bottle. (Actually I used Amazon gift cards and points and got it for free:thumbup1:)
I'm glad I did:

To the review- Very hard to describe- It has a sweet smell but masculine. Feels great on the face. Doesn't dry me out.
Definitely a different smell- not sure how to describe the Speick plant. Maybe a slight lemon smell -not much.
Sweet and grassy(?)
If you can get your hands on a bottle or sample I suggest trying it. If you don't like could always PIF or resell.
I like it.

Speick:
So this aftershave makes a special appearance. It wasn't in any of my pictures, because I didn't get it as a sample. All the sample shops were out of it at the time. When they had it again, the price of the sample vs the price of a full bottle when I was only getting one item made me decide to purchase a full bottle. (Actually I used Amazon gift cards and points and got it for free:thumbup1:)
I'm glad I did:

To the review- Very hard to describe- It has a sweet smell but masculine. Feels great on the face. Doesn't dry me out.
Definitely a different smell- not sure how to describe the Speick plant. Maybe a slight lemon smell -not much.
Sweet and grassy(?)
If you can get your hands on a bottle or sample I suggest trying it. If you don't like could always PIF or resell.
I like it.

How long does the scent linger?

The first time I used Speick I smelled something really familiar. I went and looked at my colognes and realized that something in it smelled like Bayolea. There is lemongrass in the notes of Bayolea.

How long does the scent linger?
Doesn't last very long. I could smell it four hours later but at eight hours nothing.
Very mild scent, and appears all natural according to the packaging. Should not bother those with sensitivities.

I can't smell any of my aftershaves after a couple of hours, including Speick, the Veg, or even Clubman Special Reserve. That's when I pull out the daily cologne. I sometimes put AS on before I go to bed after my cologne has faded. In the morning all I smell are remnants of my cologne that I wore the day before, which I apply and re-apply daily after my AS has disappeared. Perhaps my skin absorbs AS products, which, at the end of the day, is what it's supposed to do.

Last edited:
Fine L'Orange Noir:
Has a sting to it- that is an alcohol/menthol burn. Not bad, but made my face hot instead of cool like most menthol. (the fine samples came in spray bottles, so to sample them I am pumping a number of sprays into my palm to achieve a nice amount to splash on. Hopefully that doesn't alter it. I prefer the drip bottles from my previous reviews)
I could not smell any orange in this AS. The only scent I could really get was cedar. It was nice, but really cedar was the top note and covered everything else.
I'll have to revisit this in the future to see if I find any other notes.

Fine American Blend:
This one too has a woody smell. Not as pronounced as the previous fine. This mellows to a classic barber shop scent. A little spicier than I would like. Don't get me wrong I like spicy, but this just might take your breath away in a bad way. You know those perfumes that you have trouble breathing around.
It has a pleasant memory trigger even so.
Kind of nice when it mellows further.
Just a quick update. Now has a slight musky smell. Actually nice after toning down some. Definitely one to try.

Last edited:
Fine L'Orange Noir:
Has a sting to it- that is an alcohol/menthol burn. Not bad, but made my face hot instead of cool like most menthol. (the fine samples came in spray bottles, so to sample them I am pumping a number of sprays into my palm to achieve a nice amount to splash on. Hopefully that doesn't alter it. I prefer the drip bottles from my previous reviews)
I could not smell any orange in this AS. The only scent I could really get was cedar. It was nice, but really cedar was the top note and covered everything else.
I'll have to revisit this in the future to see if I find any other notes.

Great reviews, I do detect the orange in this but it is mixed very well with an earthy dirt scent. I like the menthol but you are right it has some bite. Keep up the good work.

Fine Fresh Vetiver:
It seems that all the Fine AS start very strong. All seem to have a woody smell to it. Strong on the menthol and alcohol too. Nice burn.
This one is almost overwhelming at first. Once it settles has a nice light earthy smell. Reminded me of maybe grey flannel(?) Not sure haven't used that in awhile. But it has a nice tone to it.

Fine Clean Vetiver:
This was very similar to Fine Fresh Vetiver. Just a little more earthy than the Fresh.

Fine Snakebite:
This is just my first impressions of this one. My eyes are tearing. ^_^
This is very strong. I almost think it is straight alcohol and menthol with nothing else. Smell reminded me of Dr. McGillicuddy's Menthol Mint Schnapps.
Once on Burn Burn Burn. hence the name snakeBITE. Reminds me of vicks vapor rub a little too.
If you like burn this is worth a try.

Fine Platinum:
This one has a small menthol smell at the beginning. Nice little burn. It fades into a nice manly scent. SWMBO said it smelled good. Not sure how to describe it but maybe a musky smell. Lasted a decent amount of time. At least 6 hours.

Captain's Choice North:
Reminded me of spice drops. Very heavy on the clove but also sweet at the same time.

Captain's Choice Bay Rum:
The classic bay rum smell. Reminded me of Watkins bay rum that I used years ago. It had a warm spice smell toward the tail of it, sort of like nutmeg.(?)

Captain's Choice Lime:
Very much a sweet lime smell. Made me want to drink a mojito or something. A little bit of spice added to give it that something else. But definitely a nice lime smell.

Top Bottom