What's new

Moka Pots

Is there a significant difference between the brands of aluminum moka pots? I see several different brands on the market and by looking at pictures, they look very similar.

I don't know the answer to your question, but my (Italian) coworker was just telling me how he isn't using his 6-cup or 12-cup aluminum ones because they haven't held up to time and hard water. Instead he is using his (10+ year old) stainless one but it's only 3-cup so he's a little stuck.

I dunno the price difference but if you can find a stainless one, it might be worth it based on this anecdotal evidence.

They are pretty much the same as far as I can tell. I've had a number of different brands of the aluminum ones over the years. Most use the same size filter gaskets which seem to be universal for the 3 different sizes of moka pots.

I've gone away from using the aluminum ones because of the staining and taste.

Now I have a couple of stainless ones that I use and am a bit happier with the taste of the brewed coffee in them.

proxy.php

Thank you for the replies. Stainless steel looks like the way to go if you're going to use it long term. I just wanted to try one out before I spent bigger bucks.

The difference between aluminium and stainless steel is that if you have an induction hob it must be stainless steel. Personally I use the common Bialetti Moka Express. I once bought a Bialetti Brikka which was said to produce coffee more like espresso but it was a complete waste of time and money.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have heard reports that aluminum can actually get into your coffee if you use an aluminum one...

I also use a Bialetti Fiammetta in the color of and with the logo of the Italian national soccer team. It's aluminum and it works nicely for me. Forza Azzurri!
$Bialetti-Fiammetta-Nazionale-espresso-maker.jpg

Thank you for the replies. Stainless steel looks like the way to go if you're going to use it long term. I just wanted to try one out before I spent bigger bucks.

I gave back an aluminium one to my mother that I once got from *her* mother approx. 25 years ago - and it isn't even a Bialetti but some Italian clone from back then. It is a bit dull instead of shiny but with new rubber gaskets it works without any issues.

br,
ToM

Try the IKEA radig. Its the cheapest you can buy in stainless with better quality.
The only problem is its a 6 cup. Buy it from the store, its only 20$. But you will find a higher price online.

I gave back an aluminium one to my mother that I once got from *her* mother approx. 25 years ago - and it isn't even a Bialetti but some Italian clone from back then. It is a bit dull instead of shiny but with new rubber gaskets it works without any issues.

br,
ToM

Awesome!

Stainless steel is worth the extra cash.
After accidentally leaving water in my aluminum moka pot for a few days, it developed white stalagmites growing up from the bottom. Yuck!

I have used the aluminum Bialetti (or similar) design for years. It's what I grew up on actually. But this thread is making me think I ought to try stainless steel.

Edit: ordered the Kitty. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The Bialetti Kitty arrived today. It's similar in design to Mick's above, although it is the 4-cup version (I am the only one in my house who drinks coffee). It's nice. The unit I received had some minor discolorations in the steel, which is slightly disappointing but not enough to make me return the thing. Immediately made a throwaway batch of coffee. It's noisier than the aluminum moka pot--on low heat, it gurgled as soon as coffee began to flow into the chamber, rather than when it was done. I will try to do a taste test tomorrow to see how it compares to the Moka Express.

$41lYOKUxRhL._SY300_.jpg

The Kitty makes nice coffee.

I did a side-by-side comparison this morning with my aluminum Moka Express. Had to adjust the coffee grounds upward, since the bottom chamber of the Kitty holds ~50mL more liquid. I use a medium grind; pretty much what I would use for a pour-over.

Although I am happy with the coffee the Express makes, the coffee generated by the Kitty was noticeably rounder in flavor. I wasn't sure that I would be able to detect a metallic aftertaste from the aluminum, but in sipping two cups side by side it was pretty obvious.

The only odd thing about the Kitty is the sound the percolator makes--I used to be able to rely on the gurgling sound to tell me when the coffee was done. Since the Kitty gurgles as soon as liquid starts to flow into the upper chamber, I won't be able to do that anymore. That's probably a small price to pay for the improvement in flavor, but it does mean my "error rate" in the mornings (burned coffee) is about to go up. :001_rolle

The Kitty makes nice coffee.

I did a side-by-side comparison this morning with my aluminum Moka Express. Had to adjust the coffee grounds upward, since the bottom chamber of the Kitty holds ~50mL more liquid. I use a medium grind; pretty much what I would use for a pour-over.

Although I am happy with the coffee the Express makes, the coffee generated by the Kitty was noticeably rounder in flavor. I wasn't sure that I would be able to detect a metallic aftertaste from the aluminum, but in sipping two cups side by side it was pretty obvious.

The only odd thing about the Kitty is the sound the percolator makes--I used to be able to rely on the gurgling sound to tell me when the coffee was done. Since the Kitty gurgles as soon as liquid starts to flow into the upper chamber, I won't be able to do that anymore. That's probably a small price to pay for the improvement in flavor, but it does mean my "error rate" in the mornings (burned coffee) is about to go up. :001_rolle

Great info...thanks for posting.

Top Bottom