What's new

Saponificio Varesino

This is truly a great product and forget the vegi/tallow thing it is a great soap period. I have all 3 that they make and they all perform great and the fragrance is top notch. Its a hard soap I am not sure if its triple milled or not but its hard like a triple milled. Maybe someone here can answer that? In any event I highly recommend it and can not pick a favorite as I really love all 3

I've heard nothing but good (actually great) things about this soap. It's on my very short list of soaps to buy, once I put a sizable dent in my current stock (which is completely ridiculous, of course), and once the year is up (as I'm participating in the 2015 Gentlemanly Restraint). The "Felce Aromatica" is the scent that I expect to try first. Can you elaborate on your thoughts about the different scents?

I've heard nothing but good (actually great) things about this soap. It's on my very short list of soaps to buy, once I put a sizable dent in my current stock (which is completely ridiculous, of course), and once the year is up (as I'm participating in the 2015 Gentlemanly Restraint). The "Felce Aromatica" is the scent that I expect to try first. Can you elaborate on your thoughts about the different scents?
Thats a little hard to explain but the Fern is very sweet one of the best in my opinion much better than MDC. The other 2 have additives like river silt and manna and are also very sweet with the manna being a little more complex. Sorry thats the best I can do.

This is how Manna di Sicilia is described on a vendor site. Orange, Bergamot and Sage followed by a Rose, Hydrangea and Clove floral core all beautifully topped off with a tail Cedar Wood and Patchouli. I also get a mild tobacco scent. It is triple milled. I just received this soap yesterday and used it this morning. It lathers easily with a thick rich and creamy protectiion. Smells wonderful. Will definitely make my regular rotation.

This is how Manna di Sicilia is described on a vendor site. Orange, Bergamot and Sage followed by a Rose, Hydrangea and Clove floral core all beautifully topped off with a tail Cedar Wood and Patchouli. I also get a mild tobacco scent. It is triple milled. I just received this soap yesterday and used it this morning. It lathers easily with a thick rich and creamy protectiion. Smells wonderful. Will definitely make my regular rotation.
Thanks for clearing up the triple milled issue, this soap is a real find I am very impressed.

I have the fern, this is one of those few soaps that smell completely different once lathered. When I got it I didnt care for the smell on the puck, gave it a go and the soap really bloomed, smell is a more refined Curve cologne to me. Performance is wonderful, super slick, you can keep going back over a section without worry.

Do the other soaps from them have the same performance?

I have all the three directly ordered from their website.
They are great soaps with strong scent but not offensive.

I have received SV Manna di Sicilia soap and its complementary aftershave. The scent is Tobacco with some hesperides and wood essences, I think. I have noticed someone maybe on another board, comparing it to Tabac original. The woody part maybe a bit reminiscent of this one, but the whole thing smells differently. I often use Tabac original Cologne, and the SV aftershave has a tendency to settle on those similar notes after a bit of time, so they shouldn't clash together.

As for the soap, it does make me think to a (greatly) improved Mitchell's Wool Fat, as a matter of performance and latherability. The puck is quite large compared to others. I don't mind as I have a large shaving bowl, but it should taken into account when buying the refill only, as I did. You can start working it with a fairly wet brush, contrary to MWF, for which it is a recipe for failure. In 30 to 40 seconds of bowl lathering, the reward will appear under the form of a very slick and moisturizing lather. I should try it in face lather too, but I can already say it is a very nice addition to my current soap rotation.

I have received SV Manna di Sicilia soap and its complementary aftershave. The scent is Tobacco with some hesperides and wood essences, I think. I have noticed someone maybe on another board, comparing it to Tabac original. The woody part maybe a bit reminiscent of this one, but the whole thing smells differently. I often use Tabac original Cologne, and the SV aftershave has a tendency to settle on those similar notes after a bit of time, so they shouldn't clash together.

As for the soap, it does make me think to a (greatly) improved Mitchell's Wool Fat, as a matter of performance and latherability. The puck is quite large compared to others. I don't mind as I have a large shaving bowl, but it should taken into account when buying the refill only, as I did. You can start working it with a fairly wet brush, contrary to MWF, for which it is a recipe for failure. In 30 to 40 seconds of bowl lathering, the reward will appear under the form of a very slick and moisturizing lather. I should try it in face lather too, but I can already say it is a very nice addition to my current soap rotation.

You are very right in my opinion.
Saponificio Varesino is far miles superior.

SV is a fantastic soap and one of the few vegan soaps in my rotation. It crushes MdC in performance for me (not even close). SV and Soap Commander are my two favorite non tallow soaps by a long shot.

This is truly a great product and forget the vegi/tallow thing it is a great soap period. I have all 3 that they make and they all perform great and the fragrance is top notch. Its a hard soap I am not sure if its triple milled or not but its hard like a triple milled. Maybe someone here can answer that? In any event I highly recommend it and can not pick a favorite as I really love all 3
+1. All three SV soaps make superb slick lather and they're all vegan. I cannot say whether or not they're triple milled. However, in my opinion, you can't buy better soaps.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Just out of curiosity, since I have the 70th Anniversary soap, does the Anniversary puck fit in the wooden bowl or is it a different size in comparison? Just curious since the tin of the 4.1 is pretty flimsy.

Just out of curiosity, since I have the 70th Anniversary soap, does the Anniversary puck fit in the wooden bowl or is it a different size in comparison? Just curious since the tin of the 4.1 is pretty flimsy.

same size as all the SV soaps. They are all triple milled soaps. Quality doesn't get much better...and Alessandro provides excellent customer service. My particular favorites are the Manna and the 70th anniversary.

I agree, and I love these soaps, all of them (which means for me the Felce, Manna, Dolomiti and 70th edition). But now with the beginning of the colder days and the fall starting, I see one downside, because in my opinion these soaps (and afterhaves) are all summer scents. So I have to wait at least for spring before I can / want to use them again... :(

I have the Felce, and agree that it's a Dpring/Summer scent.

I was thinking the other two, one Woody and one herbal would do for winter, but perhaps not.

Cracking good soap though, very happy I bought it.

I'm not sure what the variable is but this is one of the most disappointing brands I have found so far, I had high hopes based on reviews. I got the Felce Aromatica soap and aftershave and the scent is wonderful, in fact it's one of about 3 that my have my wifes approval. The soaps performance I have found to be mediocre, it seems to make a very thin lather that disappears quickly no matter water water to soap ratio I try. The aftershave performance seems to be one of the worst I have found... absolutely no healing properties to speak of. I was really excited to try out this brand and am not impressed, It does smell great though!

I would suggest not giving up on this soap. I have all of the available scents and find them very easy to lather and build thick, slick and protective lather. Do you have trouble with any other soaps? It could be your water. I have not read nor heard of any other complaints on this soap. It is quickly becoming my favorite. I normally bloom the puck while I shower. Then load with a brush that has been soaking but has had all excess water shaken out. I load right in the plastic bowl that it came in and then face lather. Very easy and builds great lather with little effort.

I agree, for me it is so easy to lather: about 30 sec. on the unbloomed puck and then a face lather for about two min., takes a lot of water though, but the result ... hmmmmmmmm! Just soooo great, creamy like nothing else!

Top Bottom