What's new

Wife used shea butter lotion on my brush!!

She decided to use my brush and what she thought was having soap to shave her legs. Admittedly, i have about 7 different soaps/creams. The lotion was on the sink (cattie's bubbles shea lotion if you were curious). Anyways, i went to shave and saw my brush didn't look right. I asked my wife about it. She said, "i tried to use your brush and cream but i couldn't get it to lather up at all so i gave up. I probably didn't rinse your brush off good enough." That was an understatement. It had a very oily feel to it, probably from the shea and coconut oil in the lotion. I cleaned it up with some dawn and warm water. It helped but it doesn't feel quite the same as it did before the mishap. Is there any thing else i can do to get it back to its old self?

Not sure if it would help or not, but maybe try a complete break in like it is a new brush? Possibly a good soak and a conditioner.

Hope you come up with something that works for you.

Good luck.

She decided to use my brush and what she thought was having soap to shave her legs. Admittedly, i have about 7 different soaps/creams. The lotion was on the sink (cattie's bubbles shea lotion if you were curious). Anyways, i went to shave and saw my brush didn't look right. I asked my wife about it. She said, "i tried to use your brush and cream but i couldn't get it to lather up at all so i gave up. I probably didn't rinse your brush off good enough." That was an understatement. It had a very oily feel to it, probably from the shea and coconut oil in the lotion. I cleaned it up with some dawn and warm water. It helped but it doesn't feel quite the same as it did before the mishap. Is there any thing else i can do to get it back to its old self?

I'm not a brush guy, but ask in the BB BRUSH forums, they would help in heart beat http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/7-Shaving-Brushes

I'm in the camp that thinks people generally look at all threads, and it's not as important that it be in a specific forum.

If however you would like to have a thread in the brush forum, it's Probably easier to just have this thread moved to the brush forum, that way you don't have to start a new thread. Just hit the triangle on the bottom left of your post and request it be moved.

This is what I do. Hope it helps.

I place the brush under running warm water. When thoroughly wet I take a few drops of a mild dishwashing liquid soap and gently rub it into the brush. I then rinse the brush under running water and then soak the brush for a minute in a container filled with clear water. I apply a little bit of hair conditioner to soften the bristles. I particularly like to use the hair conditioner on a new brush. I then rinse again under warm running water. I shake the brush to get rid of excess water. I then take a cup or container and fill it with one ounce of white vinegar, a few drops of liquid glycerin, and warm water. I stir the mixture and put the brush in the liquid using a pumping motion. I soak the brush for about two or three minutes. I take the brush out of the mixture, rinse again under running water, shake out the water, and twirl it around a towel to dry.

I place the brush under running warm water. When thoroughly wet I take a few drops of a mild dishwashing liquid soap and gently rub it into the brush. I then rinse the brush under running water and then soak the brush for a minute in a container filled with clear water. I apply a little bit of hair conditioner to soften the bristles. I particularly like to use the hair conditioner on a new brush. I then rinse again under warm running water. I shake the brush to get rid of excess water. I then take a cup or container and fill it with one ounce of white vinegar, a few drops of liquid glycerin, and warm water. I stir the mixture and put the brush in the liquid using a pumping motion. I soak the brush for about two or three minutes. I take the brush out of the mixture, rinse again under running water, shake out the water, and twirl it around a towel to dry.

For the win!

The only thing I can add is use water that is comfortable to put your hands in not screaming hot water.

I'm in the camp that thinks people generally look at all threads, and it's not as important that it be in a specific forum.

If however you would like to have a thread in the brush forum, it's Probably easier to just have this thread moved to the brush forum, that way you don't have to start a new thread. Just hit the triangle on the bottom left of your post and request it be moved.
It's good to spread the wealth, maybe he may get a good response here too, such as Mod/Ackvil advise.

For the win!
This is good advice that should work.

Make a thick paste of borax and water and coat the brush with it as if you were whipping up lather. Let it sit for a few hours. Rinse. That should do it.:001_smile

Get a new brush............................and a new wife!

New brush maybe...new wife? She'd be tough to replace! She makes almost twice what i do (i'm a teacher, she's a nurse) and she's a good mom! [emoji7]

She meant well....i was surprised she wanted to use my soaps in place of her goop! I'm trying to convince her to try the DE razor now! [emoji5]️

Borax is for scale and soap scum. You are better off giving it a few light washes with dishwashing liquid to get the oils out of the knot

Top Bottom