What's new

4/8 and under.

I have to admit that I have had a bias toward 6/8 and above. I think it stems from my 1st razor which was a Dovo 5/8. I learned on that razor and I hated that razor. I now realize what I hated was subpar honing. I eventually gave that razor to my nephew . I have honed it for him several times since, but I never test shave it. Just loop and HHT. But I never spent time on it with a proper edge. Since then I have gravitated to bigger, but I did go 6/8 on my soon to arrive Portland. Oh, what was the point of this post. So, I picked up a 4/8< Duble Duck from my local antique shop. I had passed on it a couple of weeks ago, but I don't have a DD and this one is in nice shape. I was lucky it was still there. Well, after getting it honed up, I gave it a test drive. The edge is not where it needs to be and it will take me a week or more to figure it out. I do like it on my smaller stones. I was even able to work it on a wonderful chunk of Wakasa that was gifted to me as a Tomo, and it was fun to hone on.

The shave was great. I can't wait to work on it and shave with it again. I really love how light it is. You can get very light with shaving strokes. It doesn't hold much lather, but I just can't wait to shave with it again.

Pictured with a GD300 6/8 $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428638760.244529.jpgand a Ralf Aust 7/8.

Last edited:
I tend to favor the bigger blades as well, but probably just the aesthetics of them. I do have a couple of 4/8" that need a bit of love, maybe this weekend I will hone my Eskistuna No. 24 and try that half inch blade.

That Ralf looks awesome BTW.

Top Bottom