What's new

Pen recommendation for college student

I need a formal pen with a little bit of flare for meetings and such to take notes with, I've recently started an after-school mentor program that's run by Cornell Institute which requires me to attend a lot of meetings and training's with people that would be very beneficial for me to impress, I've just built my suit and shoes and such to that level and now I'm looking for a low $ pen that still has that professional respectable look to it (price is important since I'm living paycheck to paycheck due travel expenses and such)(my suits are from goodwill) Does anybody have any recommendations? I don't know a price budget that I could swing but I don't want something that's going to blend in and not set me apart from the rest of the people of my stature.

I'd even recommend the black with gold trim Pilot 78G for about $10 shipped (ebay), especially if budget is an issue. Then just get one good bottle of black or blue ink to go with it. I'd recommend the fine or medium nib, depending on the size of your writing.

-Andy

I've never used a fountain pen before, how long does a "tank" of ink last writing wise? would I have to worry about it running out while taking notes during a meeting? what about it spraying ink all over my suit are any of these of concern?

Well, coming from another college student, I just got a metropolitan pen.

The converter will last me a solid 2 classes of note taking before it runs dry. That's the stock, I looked at some, and some ink wells can be bigger as well.
Or you can just buy disposable ink carts. I think it's like 10 for 7-8 bucks?

Spraying ink? Just don't drop it like I did with the cap off, Ink went flying everywhere and into a girls hair...I thought it was hysterical, no one else did, then again, I have a funny sense of humor.
I would suspect that the tech. has gotten good enough to minimize leaks, if any.

The metro is a good pen, feels good, though I wish they had a softer to the touch finger area as I grip my pen rather tightly.
It's all metal, as well. so if any colleague of yours borrows it, it will feel nice to them.
If you like fine point(I don't) All the better.
I just wish they come with medium nibs, My handwriting looks like a spazzing child with a paintbrush when I use fine tips(No control/friction on paper, I hate that personally).

You may find that "nice pens" don't really create that much of an impression on most people. Even an obvious fountain pen may fail to register with people most of the time unless you make an effort to bring it to their attention.

If you could swing as much a $80 or a little more, then a Platinum 3776 Century would be quite noticeable but also a fine writer. They go for $176.00 from U.S. dealers, but you can find the price I mentioned on eBay or from some Amazon dealers who sell directly from Japan.

Cut that in half and you could get a Sheaffer 100 for around $40. Proprietary cartridges, but will take a converter.

Not a fan of the Metro. It's well made and not bad looking, but I find the step between section and barrel very uncomfortable. From other comments I've seen, I'm not the only one to feel this way, but many others don't have an issue with it. Depends on how high up you like to hold your pen.

Plenty of other choices, of course, but I want to stick with ones I've tried myself. If you're willing to take the challenge of getting a vintage pen working, then you can probably find something like a Esterbook J for relatively little, but you should understand what's involved first. A nice celluloid Esterbrook would definitely get the attention of people who are capable of having their attention got.:001_cool:

The only fountain pens that non-FP users recognise, and get impressed by, are Montblanc pens.

Buy a pen for yourself, and not to impress others.

TWSBI Classic has a great sophisticated look. It's a piston filler so there potential that it might hold more ink that a converter.

proxy.php

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The Metropolitan is a good starter pen, but I don't find it all that "flashy", more an understated classic look. Will the people you wish to impress actually see what you will be writing? Perhaps your choice of ink, or a nib size/style could put a bit of pizazz to your script. A clear demonstrator may garner some attention. Lamy Vista or Nemosine Clear Singularity are clear demonstrators that won't break the bank.

Lamy Safari. Inexpensive, modernist design, comes in a multitude of colours and has easily interchangeable nibs.

I'll make you a deal: If you're willing to tell me enough about you and your writing style, needs and uses, I'll PIF you a pen and ink (that I think suits your needs) and make some suggestions of what to pay attention to educate yourself in the fountain pen world. If you develop a love for it, you'll want to experiment with different inks and papers and find your own style that really defines you.

Top Bottom