What's new

has anybody sold off their DE collection in favor of SE?

I am just wondering if anybody sold off their DE collection in favor of SE's?

Years ago I had a DE collection but eventually I discovered I liked SE's better, so I sold most of my DE's off. Now, I'm contemplating whittling down the number of DE's even more. I have tried to get back into DE shaving but I just can't seem to appreciate the shaves- they just don't seem that good. I really find injectors easier to shave with, I get a SAS in a single pass, and a decent shave with a few touchups. DE's are cheap but that's about all I see going for them- it takes me two passes to get a mediocre shave. My skin just feels better not using a DE.

I have both types and like them all. I was using a Gbar for the longest time and when I felt the blade was done I put it away and brought out the Damaskeen. Great that. But next I went for the superspeed. It was so good. I forgot just how good. So having said all that I'll keep them ALL! That way I always have a choice and variety. IMHO DE blades are sharper and smoother but I have yet to try the Pella's :001_cool:

I'm not big on selling off any of the things I collect.

I always seem to regret it afterwards.

If I have duplicates of something I'll sell the lesser ones but I try to keep a good example so I don't wind up down the road kicking myself for selling that. Unless you're hurting for money why sell them?

I'm not big on selling off any of the things I collect.

I always seem to regret it afterwards.

If I have duplicates of something I'll sell the lesser ones but I try to keep a good example so I don't wind up down the road kicking myself for selling that. Unless you're hurting for money why sell them?
+1

I guess it's just a space issue, I live in an apartment... the fewer things I own the better. But I might end up kicking myself, I'm not sure.

I know what you mean.. I have a Cobra and Schick adjustable and now I rarely use anything else. I have a few DE razors that took me a long time to get and I will hold on to them. The more common ones I will sell off.

I still have 4 Schick Kronas, a few Tech's, and two Weishi. Maybe I will just pack them under the bed in a box. You all make a good point, I might regret it later. But space is a premium and I also have a sort of Franciscan sense of simplicity, to live with as few things as possible (granted, I am not a monk with vows of poverty). It is a challenge but something I try contemplating from time to time, "Do I really need this?".

I've sold off a few brushes, surprisingly people will buy them used.

I plan on getting rid of all my de's except my 1 slim and 3 fatboys. But my gem 1912 is always my go to razor.

If space is a premium or you just have the urge to thin the herd, then pick your favorites or the hard to find ones and get rid of the rest.

Keeping in mind that the vintage and classic ones that aren't made anymore are only gonna get harder to find and more valuable as time goes by.

"Boy I wish I'd kept that one, those have tripled in value!" :wink2:

Last edited:
I have around 25 DE's, roughly 9 modern (Merkur, EJ, Muhle, Weber, Fatip, etc.) and 16 vintage Gillettes (NEW's Old style, Fatboy, Superspeeds, etc.). None of them have seen any use at all since I discovered SE's last summer.

I plan on keeping 3 or 4 of the nicer Gillettes and selling off the rest in the not too distant future.

--Bob

Just tried an injector easy rider the other day and WOW, I think my DEs are about to be very lonely. Don't think I could ever get rid of the DEs though, it's really really cool to have 100+ years of usable shaving history at your fingertips and as others have said, they're only going to get more expensive and tougher to find.

Yes.

I do have a pretty large collection of Gillette Techs, but I like Techs. I collect them, rather than shave with them ... my old father-in-law used to collect fishing reels, but didn't fish with them.

I simply don't like a DE shave.

I'm not exclusively a single edge shaver as I also happily shave with Gillette Trac-II type razors, Wilko bonded, Weck, Durham Duplex (yes, technically a "DE", but not really), straights and so on ... just not razors which take a Gillette type DE blade.

I should sell some of the DE's that I don't use, I should sell some of the SE's also but I go through "Moods" when I will shave with a SE for months then back to one of my favorite DE's. I probably wont get rid of all of either.

Nope, this forum has many, "let's shave with this today/month" threads that I like to participate. I often find that my technique allows me to get great results no matter what I use.

I have a mix of straights, SEs and DEs and one CJB.
The only ones I ever let go were in PIFs, and even then they were practically doubles of what I already had.

No but I've went slightly the other way. I started off with SE's. I bought various 1912's, a 1924 and a Schick G. Oh and a Valet. :001_rolle
Then I got into DE's. OLD, NEW, Tech's, EJ DE86. Those old Gillettes with modern blades are great.

Although I like em all and can get a great shave with them all, I'd say the closest shave possible would be the 1912's and the 1924. They leave me with a feeling of having shaved off 10 years and 5 stone. The only explanation I have for that is the closeness or depth of the shave. I seem to look younger in the mirror. Strange but true. No point shaving next day as there's very little there.

I do like my mild Gillettes and DE86 though. Paired with a sharp blade they shave well. I can now get zero irritation, zero cuts with all of them.

And they're all made of Brass. I like brass. Except the DE86 but it's such a delight I can look the other way on that. Maybe I'll paint it brass coloured just so it feels it fits in. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
I am contenplating selling my de collection as all I use is my se! Although I really enjoy collecting stuff I feel the need to thin the heard every so often. Since january when I got my Every-Ready thats all I have used, apart from I joined up a passaround to use a de to which I got great shaves but just not as good as an se shave. Im toying with the idea of selling my fatboy but I waited for about a year to buy one so it seems a shame but it never gets used!
Oh what to do ha.

I am contenplating selling my de collection as all I use is my se! Although I really enjoy collecting stuff I feel the need to thin the heard every so often. Since january when I got my Every-Ready thats all I have used, apart from I joined up a passaround to use a de to which I got great shaves but just not as good as an se shave. Im toying with the idea of selling my fatboy but I waited for about a year to buy one so it seems a shame but it never gets used!
Oh what to do ha.

Try a Schick G type with a GEM/Personna blade. THAT'S WHAT TO DO MAN. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Top Bottom