What's new

Shavette vs DE

I enjoy using my Parker SR1 ... about 20 bucks on Amazon. Like you, I'm starting my straight razor journey. Being frugal (code for cheap) I'll try to master the Parker before I invest in a regular straight.

Frugal huh? LOL I just want to do the opposite that I did with DE shaving. I want to buy an inexpensive but a good one and see if I like it first, then invest in a mid grade one.

Unlike I did with DE, I went out got a Merkur then followed it up with a bunch of stainless steel razors! :)

I have interest in trying a straight razor and love the idea of a shavette that can take regular DE blades so I dont have to get into honing, stropping and all that but want to know if they are any good? The reason I ask is that the straight razors I have seen seem to be about 3 inches in blade length and not small the the DE size blade type! If they are worth trying, does anyone know a good brand/model of one and where I can get a nice quality one to tryout for not much money or possibly do a trade deal with someone for one!

I'm also interested in trying a shavette, looking promising so far :)

Even Shavettes can be costly. Thankfully there is an alternative. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433401521.671628.jpg

I had my first shave with a shavette last night, and where I would be pushing it to say that it was my closest ever shave, it was certainly one of my most enjoyable, and it was totally iritation free. I think with the DE I'm still a little prone to using bit too much blade angle, particularly on the face. With the shavette I found it really easy to see the angle, and thus position the blade appropriately. I'm going to carry on using both kinds, but I can see myself taking to the shavette in a big way.

Wow its interesting to hear how much success people are having with the shavettes. I was thinking of trying a Feather before I bought my first couple straights, but heard that actual straights are more forgiving than the Feather ACs or shavettes. Maybe I'll try one eventually. I do know the angle on shavettes and straights are different.

I have a Feather SS and three traditional straights. I find that although I get good results with either, I usually grab the Feather. I believe this is mainly due to time. I do find that I have to try harder to get the best results from the traditional straights, but that may be because I use the Feather quite a bit more. If anyone is looking to try a Feather AC, I highly recommend to start with the pro guard blades. They are more forgiving of mistakes. I had a fairly easy transition from DE to Feather AC and I believe starting with the pro guards helped.

Don't forget to let Seraphim know he's nuts!
[video]https://youtu.be/O7HcSsKSPw8[/video]

Classic. This should become a sticky. Take that Feather Artist club. This is the funniest video I have seen here. Well done Seraphim. Now top this with your GD contest entry. I want to see some comedy in your artistry.

I enjoy my occasional outings with the shavette I own (a Weck Sextoblade) and get generally good results, though not as good as I get with DE. That's no doubt because I haven't used the shavette consistently enough to develop technique (especially ATG). For the same reason, I'm also a little more mistake-prone. But the need to concentrate makes these shaves more sporty.

I loved the Feather AC razors I got to try on a tour a while back. Ergonomically, I found them a good deal better than the Weck. I might get one at some point, though the blades are pricey.

I started out with a shavette about a year ago. After trying several of them, my very favorite was the Parker push style. After several months of use, I found that I could achieve as good or better a shave than with a DE. Two days ago I started with a full on straight. The sharpness of the shavette is something that you just can't beat. With practice, the shavette will give you as close and comfortable shave as you can get IMHO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom