What's new

Wolfman WR1-SB

Figured I would chime in on my experience with James @ Wolfman razors and the WR1-SB (brushed head) that I purchased.

proxy.php

Photo courtesy of Wolfmanrazors.com

First of all dealing with James is an absolute pleasure. Quick response, answers all/any questions.
From initial contact to receipt was about a month.

First impression, just looking at the razor. Quality of machining/workmanship is excellent. In comparison to a number of other razors I have used/had - this is a full notch above. The fit/finish is impeccable. No finishing/machining marks. Tolerances are tight and precise. Lock/clamp down of the head has virtually no play at all. The flatness of the base plate coupled with the blade tabs is where that comes from I suspect

The head profile is flatter/shallower than my previous stainless steel razors - almost like an old style Gillette New. Which at first I questioned what it would feel like. Blade exposure looked comparable.

So the first test - was stacking the deck against the new arrival. Limited face prep (meaning no hot shower) - just lather (SV- Dolomiti). Go about my regular business: 2 pass shave: XTG + ATG. Smooth and BBS.
Second test - AS: a little tingle but no burn.
Third test - how long did the BBS last: at least 8 hours.
Definitely impressed with the first shave right out of the box!

Next shaves, were full meal deal (face & dome) with the customary prep. The first dome shave was three days growth to mow down.

More surprises: the dome for me as always been a bone of contention. 1) angles; 2) shaving where you can't see.
Well no worries there. Absolutely smoothness and efficiency. Actually smoother on the angles than the resident razor.
With the better prep - BBS lasted even longer.

So after a week of shaving - the newcomer has supplanted the resident razor.
The resident: ATT R1. Has been the king of the pile for over 18 months. Many have come, tried and failed.
The WR1-SB was thinner and lighter than I expected. So the angle of attack is different.
The R1 is slightly more aggressive than the WR1-SB. I asked James about this component: aggressiveness - which basically means blade exposure.
He has offered to change that. For the time being I will continue to see if in fact it is required.

I expected some "apprenticeship " period to get accustomed to the new dynamics. Right out of the gate it performed. Two weeks through this process it is definitely #1 on my list of razors (no others need apply!)
The added bonus, is the ability to support a local fabricator. Excellent product and service.
Highly recommend.

Disclaimer:
This product was purchased. This is a regular production item - not a prototype for testing.

Thanks for the nice review. I was wondering if you have also shaved with an Edwin Jagger DE89/Muhle R89 razor and if so how does the Wolfman WR1-SB compare.

Targa,

What are your feelings/assessment on the standard bar channels? Do you feel like enough cream/soap flows through the bar? They do look a bit shallow to me, but the looks could be quite deceiving.

Peace!

Thanks for the nice review. I was wondering if you have also shaved with an Edwin Jagger DE89/Muhle R89 razor and if so how does the Wolfman WR1-SB compare.

The R89 is a very mild razor (milder than the ATT M1). That being said this is not an aggressive razor, just very efficient. Offers one of the most comfortable shaves I have ever had.

Targa,

What are your feelings/assessment on the standard bar channels? Do you feel like enough cream/soap flows through the bar? They do look a bit shallow to me, but the looks could be quite deceiving.

Peace!
The standard bar channels do appear to be quite narrow. However the base plate is quite thin. I have not had any issues with the material being cleared (or getting clogged up).
The whole head design has impeccable clamp down. So there is no blade chatter.

I can't wait to order mine. I have e mailed back and forth with James, and he is pleasant and prompt in reply. Just a few minutes ago I ordered a WRH2 handle.

We are starting to build up a good number of feedbacks on using Wolfman Jim's razors! :thumbup1: I've got my email order request in the que and expect to see one in early July. Judging from the feedback so far, I expect it's a keeper and an enjoyable razor in my rotation. But whether it can supplant my ATT S2 (and S1), we'll see.

We are starting to build up a good number of feedbacks on using Wolfman Jim's razors! :thumbup1: I've got my email order request in the que and expect to see one in early July. Judging from the feedback so far, I expect it's a keeper and an enjoyable razor in my rotation. But whether it can supplant my ATT S2 (and S1), we'll see.

That is a good question, and one I intend to find out as I have a Wolfman OC and am expecting a ATT S2 early next week.

I can only agree - I also have the SB-P (with a WRH2 handle) and my ATT R1 Kronos has not been used, since I got it - fantastic razor, beautiful work and James is a true gentleman to deal with!

I'm on the wait list for a BBS1, made by James sold by John. I've heard so much about these I may well be thinning the herd when mine arrives.
thanks for the review. Consistent with others and very encouraging.

I've said this before, but I think that these razors are efficient, but not necessarily aggressive depending on the blade. I used a Personna Red Black the other day and it was a little much for me, but not horribly so, I could just feel the blade, and it required delicate pressure. Polsilver Super Iridium or Rapira Platinum Lux are smooth and close without being aggressive, and I don't worry about a thing.

As was said, the workmanship on these is above anything else. Blade aligning is perfect every time. It's just a sweet razor, personally made, and it shows. James definitely takes pride in doing things right. I have the dual comb, but I think I might order an open comb and sell the dual comb. It's my favorite razor I've ever used.

I have the dual comb, but I think I might order an open comb and sell the dual comb. It's my favorite razor I've ever used.

I'm guessing by this statement that you prefer the OC side? How do they compare if you don't mind me asking? I'm on the wait list for an OC, should be mid to late May from what James said when I emailed him back at the beginning of March.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have the OC version, and I'll echo everything about the quality of the workmanship and shave, as well as that of James, himself. He's a top notch gent, and that is reflected in his top notch products.

I have the OC version, and I'll echo everything about the quality of the workmanship and shave, as well as that of James, himself. He's a top notch gent, and that is reflected in his top notch products.

I'll echo this as well. My transaction and communication with James was very smooth. Look forward to purchasing/dealing with him again.

Love my SB PH. A little more aggressive than my Merkur 23C, a little less than my Weber PH. Nice sweet spot.

Top Bottom