What's new

hair transplant

I do a comb-over with my ear hair.
proxy.php

proxy.php

I had a transplant about 10 years ago. It has always looked natural. I had about 1100 plugs transplanted. I often think about getting another 700 or so to fill in but it pretty much looks the same as the day it was done (actually it looks better because it takes 6 months to a year for all the transplants to grow out.

I had it done over the Christmas holidays and wore a baseball cap for a few weeks at work while the small scabs healed and fell off. No one ever noticed I had a transplant but if you look in photos a year after the surgery it is quite noticeable.

The surgery takes 6 to 8 hours but is was painless and the doctor I had provideded lunch (shrimp po-boys) while the plugs were being prepared. I also want to note that my doctor had three transplants and showed me his photos. The trademark name of the procedure he used was Mirco-Graft and he was trained by the doctor that performed his transplants.

Also note that only about 85% of the grafts will take.

Given that OP is in his thirties, and says the top of his head is almost entirely bald, I would be very surprised if at least some of those follicles weren't already past the point of being saved. Likely the best he could hope for at this point with the medication is preserving whatever he has left.

It sounds like his choices are to get a hair graft and take anti-androgens for a lifetime, or else just accept he is going bald.

I'm very aware of what DHT does, but I admit I do not have the extensive first hand experience of its effects. While it does cause you to go bald on the top of your head, it causes more hair to grow everywhere else too (eyes, ears, nose, face).

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem doing whatever I would have to do to keep a "full" head of hair. It's not exactly natural to fight hair loss, but neither is wearing eye glasses, living past your 40's, or any number of things modern people take for granted. But you have to be prepared to pay for the hassle.

Last edited:
The doctor that performed my transplant had me take a half tablet of finasteride but as it turned out a couple of years later my primary care doctor increased it to a full tablet due to a slightly enlarger prostrate. It has now returned to normal size. So I would be taking finasteride anyway.

Even the very best hair transplants are noticeable to a discerning eye. Most transplants are noticeable from a half mile away. Don't be one of those guys.

This is a common fallacy because you only spot the ones you spot! There are a lot of high-quality transplants and hairpieces that go undetected, even by people who have a good eye for spotting the flaws.

I started losing my hair in my early 20's. Did the Propecia/Rogaine thing and it actually worked quite well. Once I was married my wife didn't want me taking a lifetime of medication. Took the plunge at around 28 to start consistently shaving my head and I haven't looked back. My wife loves it and I get compliments all the time. She insists even if I had a full head of hair that she would make me shave it.

Plus researchers at the University of Pennsylvania found that bald men were perceived to be tougher, more powerful and better leaders compared to men who had hair.
Men with shaved heads were also seen as taller, stronger and more athletic, according to lead researcher Albert Mannes, an information management lecturer at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of Business.

Works for me.

This is a common fallacy because you only spot the ones you spot! There are a lot of high-quality transplants and hairpieces that go undetected, even by people who have a good eye for spotting the flaws.

When I was a kid watching Star Trek I didn't even know William Shatner wore a hairpiece. Honestly I still don't notice it. Maybe my eye is not that critical.

Plus researchers at the University of Pennsylvania found that bald men were perceived to be tougher, more powerful and better leaders compared to men who had hair.

It depends on what you value, what your circumstances are, and what image you wish to portray. There is more to ones appearance than just being perceived as tough, powerful and demanding respect. Being perceived as approachable is also important. If a person already has problems being perceived as overbearing or aloof, going bald isn't going to help any.

I'd never makes permanent changes to my appearance or body just to make a partner happy. For one thing, those sorts of relationships do not always last and then you live with the consequences.

Last edited:
I'm planning on getting it done myself, mind you I truly don't care how people feel about my hair or lack of it, I love my hair! kind of like Narcissus ;) and imo get it done if You want it, don't if it's an insecurity issue because there's nothing to feel insecure about

When I was a kid watching Star Trek I didn't even know William Shatner wore a hairpiece. Honestly I still don't notice it. Maybe my eye is not that critical.

It depends on what you value, what your circumstances are, and what image you wish to portray. There is more to ones appearance than just being perceived as tough, powerful and demanding respect. Being perceived as approachable is also important. If a person already has problems being perceived as overbearing or aloof, going bald isn't going to help any.

I'd never makes permanent changes to my appearance or body just to make a partner happy. For one thing, those sorts of relationships do not always last and then you live with the consequences.

I don't think shaving your head qualifies as a permanent change.

Count me among the guys blessed with hair that respects men who own their baldness. My brother is 6 years older than I and he does not shave his head (I'm not sure it would suit him), but he keeps his hair trimmed short and it looks quite good on him. I've told my wife that I intend to do the same when/if hair loss affects me. I've also said that once it hits a certain point, I will shave it. I refuse to go toilet seat or comb over.

Men with shaved heads were also seen as taller, stronger and more athletic, according to lead researcher Albert Mannes, an information management lecturer at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of Business.

Chicken and egg? Are we seen that way because we shave our heads, or do we shave our heads because we are that way? :pipe:

Philosophical thought for the day. Now discuss amongst yourselves...

If your hair is lost, you can do two things....If you're classy AF, then you can pull off the horse shoe. If you're NOT classy AF, shave it off or trim it super short.

If you still have a good amount of hair, honestly, give propecia a shot, your peenie may or may not fall off. But honestly, the side effects are <5% of users, I don't use it, but I have slight thinning as do most men in my family, only one uncle is "bald"(still has strands on his head, so...bald?) the other two uncles have thin, or rather, fine, hair...Grandpa died at 94 with a decent amount of hair, and my dads side, his dad still had hair into his 80's....................So......I hope I didn't draw the short stick..

Very true. I had it done a few years ago and the doctor did a great job. If you can be happy with a bald head by all means save your money and go that route. Surgery is nothing to take lightly! But if you decide it is important to you for whatever reason and you have the means, then don't let anyone make you feel bad about it - go for it. A few pointers:
- Stay away from doctors offering bargains.
- Visit with at least 2 doctors before choosing who will do the surgery.
- There are tons of doctor reviews on forums. I found that to be a valuable resource.

Embrace your baldness. Telly Zavalas, Vin Diesel, Bruce Willis, and many other badasses have.

I understand the hesitance, it is your hair after all. But there's no reason to worry about perceptions. It's too common these days. I noticed in church the other day that if you picked out 20 random people, it would be really hard to not have one or two in the group with shaved heads.

Sorry. I stand by my assertion. If people like Charlie Sheen and John Travolta, who have more money than God, can't buy themselves a hair replacement solution that isn't completely noticeable, then there's really no reasonable hope for Joe Sixpack to have any chance of getting one.

I will say this. My boss, who is a millionaire several times over, (and undoubtedly got the best hair transplant money could buy) had his done during his younger years. It took me about 6 months before I finally noticed the flaws in his. Unfortunately, his case was definitely the exception and not the rule.

I'll tell you what, I don't think there's a better feeling than donning a motorcycle helmet on a freshly-shaved head and hitting the road.

I wouldn't pay twenty bucks to have a full head of natural hair. In the summer, hair is a hindrance. In the winter, it still doesn't do much good. I have saved thousands of dollars since I started shaving my own head.

My gawd, if I'd known I was going to master "The Picard" in my later life; I'd have started shaving short in my teens.

...well... I kinda did anyway...
.....Joined the Navy when I was 17 1/2. After that long hair never looked quite right on me any more anywho.

But man were there many many adolescent days spent trying to get my long hair to look like anything but what it did!

Top Bottom