What's new

Best Shave Yet!

Hello Gents!

This morning, after four months, I finally got a shave that rivals my DE Safety Razor, with a Straight alone! Very comfortable... very little aftershave sting!

I still use the DE when I am traveling, or in a hurry, and always get a BBS shave with it. So I can't expect anything better, since there is nothing better.

But, at least now my straight shaves are approaching BBS, and are at least "Darn Fine Shaves!"

My routine is as follows:

• After a hot shower, I wash my face again, just before shaving, with a moisturizing soap.
  • Then I apply a pre-shave cream. Usually, good old Noxzema.
  • Then I lather with a high quality cream. I have several in my rotation.
  • I go three passes, VERY light pressure, WTG, XTG, ATG; reapplying the pre-shave and lather between each pass.
  • Between passes 2 & 3, I also go back to the leather strop for 20 round trips. It might be my imagination, but this seems to make the third pass a lot smoother.
  • I then I rinse, wipe my face with witch hazel, and splash on my after shave. Again, several in my rotation.
  • If I feel any irritation, I might also apply a post shave balm.

Anyway, this system seems to work best for me.

Take care Gents!!

Bob

Thanks for sharing this, Bob. I'm just into my second month and making minor tweaks now on most shaves. Gains are marginal, but hoping that by your stage I can reach the same level of closeness! The light touch advice is one that I'll revisit again and again until I get it right.

Interestingly, I also re-stropped before the 3rd pass (ATG) today and am pretty sure it helped. I'll be doing this from now on.

Thanks Rob!

I have been very frustrated at times over the past four months. Especially when I would bounce back to my safety razor and get such a close, comfortable and quick shave.

But by hanging in there, I found that slowly my straight shaves improved.

I still have a ways to go. This morning was just one shave. I want this to be what I get consistently.

The journey continues...

Bob

Glad to see this post. I was feeling the need to resrtop mid-shave as well. A few other posters had suggested that my razor wasn't sharp enough but even the professionally honed razors I've used took quite a beating from my rather course chin stubble after only one pass. Do you have a lighter or more course beard if I may ask?

Lightfoot, the whiskers on and around my chin are definitely heavier. This is also the most sensitive area of my face, prone to nicks, weepers, etc. So I go very carefully on this area, and might only do two passes.
I also found that my razors were not sharp enough. I suspect that while perfecting my technique on the strop and my face, I might have prematurely dulled my blades. So I bought some stones and am learning to hone and refresh. Still working on that!
Bob

I too have been learning to hone & it hasn't made much difference in terms of blade longevity (vs a pro-honed razor) on the full-hollw. Now one thing that did make a difference was using a wedge blade SR. The wedge seems to hold up better at the chin area.

Top Bottom