What's new

Maggard MR-5 & MR-22 Review - First Shave

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Ive been digging the heavy stainless handles recently. I was cruising on the Maggards site and took a liking to a couple of their handles. I couldnt decide between them, so i bought both of them. They certainly were cheap enough. And since getting the full razor was only two bucks more than buying just the handle, I just did that.

I saw an advert for their new MR-22 handle, and really liked it. It has a cool pattern of knurled rings and grooves. It is 3 1/2 inches long, and weighs in at 102 grams with the head. The handle alone is 74 gr. It has a nice evenly balanced feel to it.

While I was up on their site, I really liked their MR-5 handle. I currently enjoy shaving with my RazoRock SLAB sporting an Ikon Bamboo stainless handle. I dig the bamboo style due to the somewhat larger indentations that allow the fingers to securely grip the handle without thinking about it. The MR-5 is a more extreme version of that bamboo style. Its quite a bit fatter, and the bamboo style cutouts are deeper. It feels heavier too, but according to the specs, they are about the same weight. However the MR-5 is a bit shorter, which seems to give a really good control of the razor angle, etc. I took shave with the MR-5 this moring, and it was a wonderful shave. Accurate and controlled.

The Maggards head is quite mild, but not too much so. It shaves well. They advertise that its comparable to a Super Speed, or Slim on 4. I very much enjoy my Super Speeds, and I happen to use my Slim on 4. So this razor is right in the comfort zone for me. The exposure and gap are a little bit more than the Muhle R89, but much less than the SLAB. I can see these heads going into regular rotation.

The finish on both of the stainless handles is super. Top notch. These handles look every bit as good as the Ikon. I dont have any high dollar stainless razors, so I cant compare. But comparing to the other razors I have in the sub $80 price range, they are very nicely done. And these were sub $25. So very nice indeed.

The plating on the heads is where the low pricepoint reveals itself. I currently use a RazoRock SLAB, and Ive read many complaints about the plating on the SLAB head. There are little imperfections on the SLAB top cap, as noted by many other reviewers. Spots and dots in the plating. However, there are no such imperfections on either of the Maggards heads. The plating is not anywhere near the quality of an EJ, Merkur or Muhle. You can see inconsistencies and waviness in the chrome. And the finish on the edges of the top cap are not perfect. But it is certainly quite good for a razor at this price point.

All in all these razors are really good, especially at their price point. The handles are excellent. And the heads are a good shave too!

Here is the Maggard MR-5 on the left; the new MR-22 model on the right:

proxy.php

For comparison (left to right): Muhle R89 Grande; RazoRock Bamboozled SLAB; Maggard MR-5; Maggard MR-22

proxy.php

I think that for the price point, the Maggards are unbelievable. I bought one just for the handle, but when I tried it, I decided I liked it enough to keep it, and bought a second handle. As has been said many times, the handles alone are worth more than the cost of admission. They are a mild shaver, and comfortable. I found it to be a bit inefficient on a heavy growth, but did get a DFS from it without having to scrape on my face for too long. You do have to be careful with the blade alignment. They will clamp down properly, but you have to focus on it.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I did notice that the blade can clamp down just a wee bit crooked, but not too bad. I always keep an eye on that anyway. Overall a very nice shaver with a superb handle for a small amount of coin. Ill go back to the Muhle R89 tomorrow and see how it compares. Then I hit the road for three weeks, where I will go back to the Merkur 34c and Merkur Bakelite 45 in my travel kit. I will miss my new toys while I am away.

love the mr5 and just ordered a few of the others honestly just for the handle. i personally dont use the heads at all. they get tossed into a drawer and stay there in case i ever want a travel razor which i dont care what happens to it. or one to take to the gym since my wife had one stolen there we no longer take any expensive razors there. these work great for that. but the handles are awesome

OP,
You've stumbled upon what I feel many DE shavers are missing out on. Pair up any head that will fit with Maggards heavier handles and see that head come to life! It can be a low cost Maggard head and everything up to an ATT head. A heavier handle WILL show you if you have problems with your technique and force you to correct them. Once you learn to just let the weight of these heavier handles do the work without added pressure, you will be rewarded with shaves you never thought possible. I favor the MR3 and MR8 handles due to them being similar in length to the ATT Atlas handle.

I already have an MR1, but just got another for the v2 head and also for the handle to use with my other heads.
I needed the handle and the new v2 head was enough to add to cart... :)
Haven't test drove it yet. Just received my replaces so they will get my focus for a while. Might use the handle on my new NEW lol

Top Bottom