What's new

Thoughts/reviews on the Merkur 15C?

I just ordered one. It hasn't arrived yet. I like its classic Gillette look. I am curious about others' experiences with this razor. Aggressiveness, blade pairing, weight, etc.? Thanks.

Sorry, I've never tried one but I'm sure that someone with experience will be along shortly.

I had a 1904 open comb...and I think all the Merkur oc's are the same head....it was a nice intro to open combs for me....smooth and mild...really didn't find any blades that didn't work well with it, but I did like it with Feathers

Had 1904 OC, same head w/ different handle, and it was mild and smooth. Gave great visual feedback of angle, worked great with sharper blades, and is almost impossible to bite yourself with. Slim profile head worked awesome for buffing and tough to reach spots like under the nose. Also, it is capable of mowing down several days growth with ease. Ultimately I sold it because I prefer my razors more aggressive.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Another 1904 OC guy here. Same thoughts as everyone else - very mild and comfortable razor. I shimmed mine and its still mild. I like to use it in between Sledgehammer shaves, when I want something less aggressive anyway.

It arrived yesterday. Loaded it with a Wilkinson sword blade. Used an omega boar brush on some vintage 1960 Williams mug soap. 2 passes, BBS, no cuts on the first try. I actually thought it was pretty aggressive. Followed up with Thayers Witch Hazel AS. Awesome razor.

$15 - 2.jpg$15 - 1.jpg

Last edited:
I love my 15c - - I use it primarily as my "in the shower" razor (no mirror ya know <G>) and get great shaves every time with it. It is pretty mild, but that can be a good thing as I get absolutely no irritation with it and do a 3 pass shave with some minor touchup on the throat area (the only razor I trust to do ATG on my throat). I think you will come to love it. Not really a fan of AGGRESSIVE razors (although I have several). MY face likes me a lot better with a mild to mid-aggressiver razor and I can still get a BBS if I wanted to.If you can get your hands on one- the Merkur 11c HD is an excellent razor which I find to be MEDIUM in aggressiveness but will not tear your face up. Also, if you haven't tried them - the Merkur 15c works pretty well with the Astra SP blades and the Rapira Platinum Luz blades.

Last edited:
One little hiccup. The razor came with a Merkur brand blade. I decided to try it out this morning. As the kids like to say... it sucked. Maybe it was damaged while in the package, but it was pretty dull. This is my only experience with Merkur blades, but I don't think I'll rush out to get them again. I had to switch over to a Wilkinson to finish the job.

Top Bottom