What's new

Growing my first beard

Hi all,

I've decided that I'm going to attempt to grow my first beard! Being Asian, I'm not too sure how it'll turn out as I'm Asian, and it seems like we mostly can't grow a proper beard! But might as well give it a go!

Are there any hints & tips that you guys can share for a first timer? Should I be looking at any beard care products or is it too early for that yet? It's been slightly over a week since I last shaved.

Wish me luck!

Hi, what is your goal? What sort of beard are you hoping for? Are you wanting to grow it long and bushy or keep it short and trimmed?

Here's my hints and tips: The first few weeks are the hardest. The beard at this point is sort of awkward and itchy. But after a few weeks the itchiness goes away and the beard gets softer. If you plan on growing it out longer, the hardest part is to resist trimming the mustache hairs above the lip. They have an awkward intermediate stage too, where they want to grow over your top lip into your mouth. But if you let them grow, you'll have a much nicer, fuller, natural looking mustache.

A shavette or straight razor are easier to use than a double edge for trimming the edge of your beard.
Also, don't shampoo more frequently you have to. Use conditioner. And yes, using a beard oil will help even at this early stage to keep the beard and the underlying skin soft and healthy.

Hi, what is your goal? What sort of beard are you hoping for? Are you wanting to grow it long and bushy or keep it short and trimmed?

Here's my hints and tips: The first few weeks are the hardest. The beard at this point is sort of awkward and itchy. But after a few weeks the itchiness goes away and the beard gets softer. If you plan on growing it out longer, the hardest part is to resist trimming the mustache hairs above the lip. They have an awkward intermediate stage too, where they want to grow over your top lip into your mouth. But if you let them grow, you'll have a much nicer, fuller, natural looking mustache.

A shavette or straight razor are easier to use than a double edge for trimming the edge of your beard.
Also, don't shampoo more frequently you have to. Use conditioner. And yes, using a beard oil will help even at this early stage to keep the beard and the underlying skin soft and healthy.

I'll most likely be keeping it short and trimmed. However, being my first time, I might change my mind depending on how it turns out (more like depending on how my other half reacts to it!)

Would there be something I could use to help soothe the itchiness?

I'll have a look at beard oils, thanks! Any personal recommendations?

Last edited:
The beard oil itself might actually help with the itchiness, other than that, it's really not bad for very long. There's tons of beard oils out there, and most of them are probably decent. Or you can make your own. Of the three commercial oils I've tried, I did really like Barton Beard Oils quite a lot. They have an Etsy shop. Stay away from Honest Amish because that crap stinks bad.

I'm in the same boat as u...growing my first beard and and being Asian not really sure how it's gonna go...my last shave was the day before Chinese New Year...so about 1.5 months in for me.

B strong, don't give in and shave!

I'm in the same boat as u...growing my first beard and and being Asian not really sure how it's gonna go...my last shave was the day before Chinese New Year...so about 1.5 months in for me.

B strong, don't give in and shave!

Nice, a buddy :p How is it going for you so far?

Patience might be good advice in your case. I'm growing my first Goat and one half of my face grows noticeably faster and thicker than the other half. I learned to train it so to speak. Let it grow for a month then trimmed it back to let the shorter thinner side catch up and fill in. After 2 months I've just done the same again at a longer length obviously. Growing length doesn't take the time in my case but the less dense side needs time to fill in the beard.

I've learned not to get too obsessive with trimming/styling around the outline. The more I messed with it the more I messed it up. I had to shave the first 2 attempts after carving chunks out with a shavette.

I find the best way to keep it comfortable is to keep it clean so I've never tried oils. My biggest annoyance/problem to date has been playing with it. I can play with it all day long until my face is sore, then I want to shave it off. I'd suggest leaving it alone but probably nobody does at first.

I'm enjoying growing it though and the missus loves it although she reckons I've become seriously vain what with the beard and wet shaving. My excuse is I have a deep interest in mirrors. :w00t:

Nice, a buddy :p How is it going for you so far?

Here's me today. Been using this Beard Balm I like the smell a lot better than the honest amish stuff.

$FullSizeRender (11).jpg

Top Bottom