What's new

Allen Edmonds recrafting

I hope it's worth it.

I had the rubber portion of my heel come off my Leeds and I decided to use Allen Edmonds for the repair vs. someone local. Then I decided to go for the full meal deal and selected the "prestige" package. More than what was required but I decided to try it, plus the extra $$ for the shoe trees is a good deal compared to what they cost locally. $150US plus the bonus $15 'I'm from Canada' charge, then $23.00CDN shipping. All in over $200CDN; I could have bought a new pair of (non Allen Edmonds) for the same price.

Next time I might be better off getting a local repair. Have to see how happy I am with the finished product next month when I get them back and see if I made the right decision.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have had several pairs of shoes re-crafted by AE. One pair was done three times altogether (2x by AE and one time by Nelson in NYC - a bit cheaper than AE but also very good). In principle a good deal (although I never opted for the prestige package, just the standard full recrafting), the shoes come back in perfect, like new conditions. In total I had five different styles re-done, and all but one came out great.
The last one, the shoes came back and clearly the size, especially the width, was changed in a way that I could not longer wear them without having pains in my foot. I contacted AE, they asked me to send the shoes back and after they checked them out, I received a brand-new pair of the same style back and an apology. I guess, sometimes this can happen, but they made good on it.

I haven't used the service myself, as it seems slightly overpriced. I've also had issues with new pairs and quality control issues. If they can't get the new shoes right every time, I'd be wary of paying them $150 to rebuild a pair. Some people say it's great, some people (like I'm guessing Rudy Vey's experience above) have significant issues. Allen Edmonds always makes it right, but I'd rather have it not messed up in the first place.* As for your Leeds, was it just the rubber heel cover coming loose? Because if so that's a manufacturing defect, not cause for an entire recrafting. I'd hope they take a look at it and fix it at their cost (reattaching a rubber heel cap is like $10 max, it's just a quick glue job) rather than recrafting the whole shoe and taking the fee. If they DID need all new soles, heels, etc. then that's not the case.

*AE is still good for new shoes, just watch that QA/QC. When the shoes are built right, they're the best quality for the price. But they do slip up a lot due to the increased production to meet demand.

Yes, it was the rubber cap on the heel that came off.

I will post back back in a few weeks on how I feel with the finished product.

I have used the recrafting services of AE several times and each time the shoes come back like new. The last two times, I shot the works and got the shoe trees and shoe polish as well - it was worth it to me.

I am about a year away on one pair of my Bayfield boots and maybe one pair of my Grayson - both will be getting Prestige packager recrafting services

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Confirmation from AE today so I guess NOW the 1-2 weeks plus shipping begins.
Let us know how they came out. I have had quite a few recrafts done, but the last on changed the shoe's width and they replaced them with a new pair. They are very good in making things good!!

I teeter on using the recrafting AE service vs grabbing a new pair too OP. just the convenience factor , but I have some pairs that I. Would love to get back into shape.

I dropped off a pair of Strands on Friday. Did Park Aves last year and came out well. Switched to the rubber sole to try and make them last longer. Even rotating shoes and wearing Swims in weather I only got a year out of the Strand before I had a hole in the bottom.

I've been out of town for the past week and a half and yesterday on my return, my shoes were back. With the exception of one small nick in the leather (pre-existing) and dents from the laces, the shoes look nearly new. I'm not 100% impressed with the polish job on them but I can rectify that myself fairly easily. I will wear them for a couple days later this week, re-polish them this weekend and update everyone.

I'll also let you know how I feel about their "Premium shoe polish". I've never tried it before and figured it's worth a shot. I've used various brands in the past but traditionally, I'm a Kiwi man.

I had a pair of four year old AE go back for recrafting, and I just got them back. They look great. Well worth the money. My wife thought i got new shoes. You could still see the creases but they must put them on the last and the new sole must pull the leather tight again because the creases were significantly reduced. I use shoe tree religiously and clean and condition the shoes regularly so they were not beat up.

I am very happy with the results of the recrafting on my shoes. As far as polish goes I am not a polished shoe person, I don't like the high gloss shine but the shine these came back with looks good to me. I use a good conditoner to provide a matte finish / low gloss "shine" to my shoes.

Here they are. Absolutely no complaints on the quality. First person at work who saw them commented "Hey, new shoes?". Comfort and fit are as they were but with new soles, heels and refinishing. Next time around I may still use AE's service but likely not the prestige package so I can save a few dollars.

Overall, happy with everything excluding the final price (Service, S&H, exchange all add up pretty quick).

View attachment 564619

Here they are. Absolutely no complaints on the quality. First person at work who saw them commented "Hey, new shoes?". Comfort and fit are as they were but with new soles, heels and refinishing. Next time around I may still use AE's service but likely not the prestige package so I can save a few dollars.

Overall, happy with everything excluding the final price (Service, S&H, exchange all add up pretty quick).

Also forgot to mention: I forgot how slippery new leather soles on low pile office carpeting could be

Shipping to and from took longer than the actual work at AE, but that's what I expected with the Canada Post / USPS combo.

Top Bottom