What's new

restored vs new

So ive been buying nothing but older razors since i started sr shaving except for a gd800 from buca and was wondering is it worth it to buy a new straight or is it all hype for the price of amy new straight i would wamt i can buy half a dozen straights so for me id expect the whole experience to be at least twice as good with a new straight and im just not quite sure its gonna live up to it lmk your guyss opinion on the matter id like to hear it

A restored razor properly honed can shave just as well or better than a new razor. Just post a picture of your restoration razor. Based on it's condition the BB members will tell you their opinions. A good place to purchase a used shave ready razor in excellent condition is the the B&B members sales forum.

A properly honed restored razor will shave as well as a properly honed new razor. I think this is a matter of what you like and what you are willing to pay for.

Will the experience of shaving with a $200 new razor be twice as good as a $100 vintage razor? Not likely, imo.

Yea guess im gonna stick with what i got just gotta maybe send em out to get honed they were all shave ready when i got em just really been putting them to work and now that my technique is more or less where i want it im finding that im ending up with slightly more irritation then i had about a month ago and im pretty sure that my razors are partly to blame im around 100 daily shaves and am experiencing the need to put some force into my neck and chin to get through my hairs that i didnt experience a couple of weeks ago i way overdid it on the pasted balsa and might have wrecked my blades

A properly honed restored razor will shave as well as a properly honed new razor. I think this is a matter of what you like and what you are willing to pay for.

Will the experience of shaving with a $200 new razor be twice as good as a $100 vintage razor? Not likely, imo.
Bingo!!

As long as it is of a size and grind you like, a properly honed razor will deliver a wonderful, enjoyable shave regardless of whether it's restored or new.

The only real difference -- e.g. physical rather than psychological (It costs $500 so it must be better) -- that you may come across with a very old restored razor versus a new razor is its ability to hold an edge. If it is of a lower strength steel - e.g. pre-1860s, when steel making was still more dark art than solid science (pre-Bessemer process) - it may dull a little quicker than modern steel.

Top Bottom