What's new

The Boxing Thread

I grew up around boxing. My father is a huge fan, largely because his older brother, my uncle, was a professional fighter in the mid to late 1960s (ranked as high as #4 in the world at one point, and even fought a main event at Madison Square Garden). Dad is currently the treasurer for the NJ Boxing Hall of Fame (into which my uncle was inducted into in 1995).

Personally, I don't watch much boxing these days, and I don't care for MMA.

If anyone is interested, here is a sort of highlight reel of my Uncle's fights, put together by another Uncle. Uncle Paddy was pretty good.

Your uncle was good. 34 wins 16 knockouts. Knockout power in both hands, strong inside power puncher with a solid chin, he was good

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I grew up around boxing. My father is a huge fan, largely because his older brother, my uncle, was a professional fighter in the mid to late 1960s (ranked as high as #4 in the world at one point, and even fought a main event at Madison Square Garden). Dad is currently the treasurer for the NJ Boxing Hall of Fame (into which my uncle was inducted into in 1995).

Personally, I don't watch much boxing these days, and I don't care for MMA.

If anyone is interested, here is a sort of highlight reel of my Uncle's fights, put together by another Uncle. Uncle Paddy was pretty good.

That was some awesome footage. :thumbup1:

Who would have thought that Irish guys liked to fight? :tongue_sm

Ahmir Kahn vs Chris Algeri Saturday night on Spike TV (Premiere Boxing Champions)
Money Line : Kahn -1667 ; Algerie +800
Looking at how Algerie fought Provodnokov a while back. this could be more interesting than a lot of fans think.
I would be tempted (if I were a gambling man) to take Algeri and the odds considering that Amihr Kahn can be knocked down and out. It would be a risky bet but I might take it.

Ahmir Kahn vs Chris Algeri Saturday night on Spike TV (Premiere Boxing Champions)
Money Line : Kahn -1667 ; Algerie +800
Looking at how Algerie fought Provodnokov a while back. this could be more interesting than a lot of fans think.
I would be tempted (if I were a gambling man) to take Algeri and the odds considering that Amihr Kahn can be knocked down and out. It would be a risky bet but I might take it.

At those odds, i might have to put $50 on Algieri.

Rumor has it, that if khan wins he might get floyd next.

I get the unfortunate feeling that Froch is going to retire, he is a sensible man after all, and unless terms for a next fight really favor him then he is right to retire. His tough, quirky style really got me interested in boxing again years ago, I'll be sad to see the lad from Nottingham go.

I get the unfortunate feeling that Froch is going to retire, he is a sensible man after all, and unless terms for a next fight really favor him then he is right to retire. His tough, quirky style really got me interested in boxing again years ago, I'll be sad to see the lad from Nottingham go.

Carl Froch is a real fighter. I do not think he is done quite yet but he is approaching retirement. The good news is that he is in talks with Golovkin for a fight in England. If Froch wants it I think Golovkin will do anything within reason to make it happen.
Golovkin is desperate to fight any big star with a great reputation. Froch has both. Every other big name in his division is very afraid of him and refuses to even talk him.

Robert Guerrero, Miguel Cotto , Daniel Gael, Erislandy Lara, Deontay Wilder,Sean Porter, AdrienBroner,Andre Ward,and Timothy Bradley are all fighting this month and all are televised . Click the link below to catch the details and let us know which match or matches you are looking forward to and why.
I am seriously looking forward to seeing Sean Porter take Adrien Broner to the woodshed.Porter has serious power and though Broner can take a punch,I do not think he has the feet to stay away from Porters power.
What are your thoughts?

I don't know, Smith couldn't beat Abraham, Groves, or Degale. I doubt he can beat Ward, but I really, really hope he does as I can't stand Ward. His association with the BALCO doctor, and the fact I've never seen a boxer get away with such dirty stalling tactics in my life.

I've never talked to a boxing fan who has said, "I like Andre Ward, he's great to watch".

Just my opinion though.

I can't see Geale beating Cotto because he never looks comfortable fighting outside of Australia, but Cotto weighed in very light and they are speculating that there could be a 15 lbs difference in the 2 on fight night. Who knows? Might be a good cheeky bet if the odds are right.

I don't know why, but I was just thinking about the Clay v Cooper fight where Clay got nailed with "Enery's Hammer" almost knocking him out of the ring. I don't recall seeing Ali that badly shaken ever again.

It's amazing how many times fighter beat the snot out of each other then become very good friends afterward just like Cooper and Ali.

I don't know why, but I was just thinking about the Clay v Cooper fight where Clay got nailed with "Enery's Hammer" almost knocking him out of the ring. I don't recall seeing Ali that badly shaken ever again.

It's amazing how many times fighter beat the snot out of each other then become very good friends afterward just like Cooper and Ali.

Cooper and Ali,Louis and Schmelling,Gatti and Ward and many more. Boxing is a fraternity that no one can understand as well as the fighters.There are groups of fighters in New York and LA that meet for dinner on a regular basis.

Ward has lost almost all of his credibility to the point that he doesent even appear as a commentator much anymore.

Guerrero should have a routine win today at 3:00 but Cotto and Geale might get interesting tonight at 10:00. Cotto has a better record of expierience but he also has the wear and tear that goes with it. Both are 34 but Geals hand and foot speed is not what it once was. Cotto is really a 154 pound fighter coming in today at 153.6 with Geal at 157 being a true middleweight.
The pre fight weights will be something to watch.The current moneyline is Cotto -620 Geale+545 with movement toward Cotto

Something else to watch carefully in this one are the ref and judges.

Vick Darchinyn fights at 3:00 today. He is a heavy underdog. He has been a great all action fighter rarely taking a step backward .I hope he does well today.

So much for a routine win for Guerrrero. Aaron Martinez gave him all he could handle and almost too much. Martinez came out early with a strong body attack and imho won the first five rounds knocking down Guerrero In the 4th. Had Martinez had another 40 sec he probably would have knocked Guerrero out. I scored it five rounds each with Martinez winning the fight with the knockdown 95-94.
Official scores :split decision 95-94 for each fighter with one judge scoring 97-92 Guerrero (way out of line).
Once again one of boxings biggest problems is qualified,expierienced judging

Last edited:
Cotto looked very sharp tonight knocking out Daniel Geal in 3 1/2 rounds. He and Roach are a team that still has a long way to go. Click on the following link to check out his possible upcoming bouts and pick out the two you would like to see most.
I would like to see Canelo first and then GGG but I think with the money involved for Cotto and the belts on the line for Mayweather, that will be the match that will be made. Mayweather has a lot of respect to recover after the dud with Paquaio.

Roberto Duran steps onto the world stage by winning the World Championship over Ken Buchannan June 26 1972.

Prince Naseem Hamed to be inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame this year.
Lineal World Featherweight Champion (126) for five straight years 1995-2000, 16 consecutive title defences (Danny Garcia are you reading this ?) and retired at age 28 set financially for life.

Nick, my dad would have loved you. :thumbup1:
Ouch Thanks for the kind words. I am sure your father has seen live many of the matches I have seen ( and heard on the radio when I became a fan in 1960 after hearing the Patterson/Johannsen Heavyweight championship.)
Boxing is enjoying a rennisance after being taken away from the mainstream audience and put on cable and PPV. There is more boxing on network TV than ever before. It's fun to watch the youngsters rise up and take their shot at the big time !

Top Bottom