What's new

Fragrance Samples Discussion Thread

Crap... just got a 30ml decant of Dior Fahrenheit the same day I got a sinus infection. Guess I'll have to wait to review it

Today a cheapy that I dont think I have reviewed before
Aspen For Men by Coty is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men. Aspen For Menwas launched in 1989. Top notes are bergamot, galbanum, green notes and lemon; middle notes are coriander, cyclamen, geranium, jasmine, lavender, juniper and orange blossom; base notes are amber, cedar, oakmoss, musk and balsam fir.

I got this years ago before I got into perfumes. This is a mini from a coty sampler set. I dont recall how it performs so we shall see. I do know it reminds me a lot of irish spring. It is also a lot like cool water though different at the same time.

I will update you all soon with my more detailed thoughts.

Who else else has tried it.

Update on the Aspen.... performance not great. Good smelling but dont last.

Heads up, I just got a few DUA samples. I also seem to be able to smell a lot better though I am not 100% yet

My wife is really digging the Cool Water cologne that I bought in Arizona. She says it's her favorite summer cologne on me and I have to laugh because I know it is an older scent but I've only heard about it in rap songs by Snoop Dogg. I'm starting to find out that the older colognes are some of the very best!

Last night I had my oldest (Danika who is 9) pick her favorite from the 6 samples that I have. She didn't say anything about any of them at first but the first one. Hmmm yum she said. She then asked to try number 5 and number 1 again and chose number 1 Mobster.

Dua Mobster available in 30ml and perfume concentration.
The Mobster features agarwood (oud), tobacco, sandalwood, patchouli, spicy notes and
whiskey.

First spray I got a lot of tobacco and spice with some oud. It is not smokey or skanky at all. It is a round smooth and thick tobacco oud. Also seem a little creamy and a little boozy. Not sure I get much patchouli at all.

It has been two hours with 3 sprays from the decant. The decant did not spray heavy at all. Right now it still seems very strong and smells great. More to come soon for sure!

I am about 8 hours in from application of Dua The Mobster. It seems to still be performing well. It started a little sweet and creamy but not is more woody and spicey. It is a great performer and to me is something like Versace Man in the purple bottle. I need to do a side by side before I would buy it. It is a good deal but you can get 100ml for Versace Man for around $30 though it is discontinued. Mobster is much more concentrated but The Versace still performs great for an EDT. This is well worth a try.

Update on The Mobster - At least 12 hours and I could smell it pretty well on my clothes and light on the skin. Pretty good performer

Today
Desert Reflection by Dua
NOTES: Rosemary, Rose de Mai, Jasmine, Neroli, Patchouli, Sandalwood, and Cedar.
A beautiful woody, floral fragrance that is both eloquent and bold!

I have heard this is a dupe of Amouage Reflection for him but I have never tried that one.
Opening was a white floral blast and a touch sweet. I am an hour in and getting a lot of Jasmine and some neroli. Sandalwood and patchouli seem present as well. This one is also creamy to me. So far I am liking it but not sure if I am all about it or not. Right now if it performs well I could see myself using up my sample but I don't think I would buy it. Its starting to make me think more of a creamy patchouli like so many other patchouli and sandalwood scents with an added floral note.

Update on Desert Reflection.
I still get the patchouli with floral vibe. After about 6 hours it seems to be a skin scent. I want to reapply but I think I will let it ride a little longer and see what I can get a few more hours in.

Today
Gold Leather by Atelier Cologne
Top notes are bitter orange, saffron, rum and plum; middle notes are artemisia
and eucalyptus; base notes are cedar, guaiac wood, agarwood (oud) and leather.

Open was a huge fruity boozy scent with leather. Dry down after an hour the same but the leather is more pronounced. I went with one spray since I was told it is a monster but I am not getting that at this point. Reminds me a bit of Tuscan leather but more of a purple fruit rather than red. Its more plumb than raspberry.

Not a summer scent but why not.

Cant wait to hear about the oud samples Larry
Today
Dua Caribbean waters
The fragrance features bergamot, lime, mandarin orange, coconut, sugar cane and
white rum.
This one is supposed to be like creed VIW which I have never tried. This frag opens with lime and lime for the first 5 minutes. I mean its all fresh squeezed lime! After that the coconut kicks in but you still get some lime. I am an hour in now and it is a coconut and lime scent with some sweetness and a little boozy. This is the second time I have worn it. I don't recall how long it projected but I do recall reading to my kid in her bed last time and she told me I smelled like coconut.

I will update later, for now I like it for a hot summer day.

Rick PIF'd a sample decant of "Montecristo" to me. I tried it immediate after receiving it (which means I already was wearing something applied during the morning). Great big blast of citrus, and then it dried to a calmer, more pleasant, almost "yataghan" fragrance. I'm not a huge fan of yataghan.

But this morning, the yataghan is gone. What I got was a blast of citrus, the almost immediately a real nice cedar and bergamot, perhaps with a bit of sandalwood. There was also a more challenging "note" in the mix, which I kind of thought was frankincense, which I'm not a huge fan of. I'm really enjoying this one this time.

I'm glad I waited for a second try before commenting here. Do frags change like this, one application to the next, to you guys too?

Is the Montecristo the one by Masque?

No, this is by Mlle Centum. I have a thread with reviews and notes. I'd post a link but I'm about to board a plane, headed home after 5 days in Vegas.

As an FYI, the Montecristo by Masque will have to stop selling. I've heard they are in violation of trademark infringement in Europe. Mille Centum owns the mark and has served them. This is what I hear from "reliable" sources.

Top Bottom