What's new

Yardley English Lavender Bar Soap

Hi Gents,

I found a store near my house that sells these soap bars for a dollar, so I grabbed one. The ingredient list is similar to shaving soap. I don't plan on trying, but based on the ingredient list, would this also work as an average shaving soap?

$image.jpg$image.jpg

Does anyone know what the difference is, if any, between these lavender bath bars and Yardley's "Luxury" lavender bath bars?

It's a great bath/shower soap with a lovely scent. I've never tried to lather it to shave but I suppose now I will have to try it.

It's a great bath/shower soap with a lovely scent. I've never tried to lather it to shave but I suppose now I will have to try it.

Yardley soaps have Sodium Tallowate as the main ingredient, which is great in a shave soap. But Yardley lacks the ingredients that help create a thick, protective, and long lasting lather, such as stearic acid, or myristic acid. So what I've done is create a super lather by mixing Yardley moisturizing bath bar soap with a soft shaving cream--Maca Root, Nivea, Palmolive. I have had great success creating heaping mounds for thick, luxuriant, and--thanks to the tallow--slick lather.

Use an unscented cream, such as Kiss My Face, and the fragrance of the soap will stand out. I can't recommend it enough. After a few minutes soak, the bar loads on a brush in just a few swirls. A tiny dab of cream and you will be whipping up a glorious, tallow-rich, slick lather.

When I shaved in the shower, during The Dark Years (Mach 3, Bic disposables), I often used Yardley bath soap as a shaving soap, with my brush. Worked like a champ. But I haven't repeated the experiment now that I have moved my shaves out of the shower.

Does anyone know what the difference is, if any, between these lavender bath bars and Yardley's "Luxury" lavender bath bars?
Yardley Luxury soap is made in the UK or Germany (if NOS) with vegetable fats. The other is made in the USA with tallow.

Yardley soaps have Sodium Tallowate as the main ingredient
Only the USA made version.

Yardley Luxury is an excellent soap, although it lacks a good moisturizing ingredient. The USA made Yardley Lavender soap was the first soap ever to give me an allergic reaction...

Last edited:
Yardley Luxury is an excellent soap, although it lacks a good moisturizing ingredient. The USA made Yardley Lavender soap was the first soap ever to give me an allergic reaction...
Do you suppose that could be the lavender oil? It's built up as a calming/sensitive skin ingredient but quite a few people find it to be a skin irritant.

Figured I'd give the oatmeal one a go, as a pre-shave wash. Pretty drying! I don't think I'll ever bother with bar soap for any reason anymore at all, unless I'm grabbing my bug out bag and making a run for it.

Do you suppose that could be the lavender oil? It's built up as a calming/sensitive skin ingredient but quite a few people find it to be a skin irritant.
No, I actually use Lavender oil directly on my skin and have added it to my bath.

I'm highly envious of you guys in the US that can walk up to the Dollar Tree and pick up a bar of Yardley. The stuff we get here is from Germany and it's vegetable-based garbage compared to the US stuff. On top of that, it's expensive as heck.
They sell it in the UK for 99p, I prefer the expensive stuff rather than the cheap stuff :001_smile

I routinely use Cashmere Bouquet for face lathering, and have tried both the Yardley and the Palmolive Green bar soap. The Palmolive Green worked OK, but was markedly inferior to their shave sticks, which is a great inexpensive product. The Yardley I didn't care for either. It worked, but was rather thin. Cashmere Bouquet , on the other hand, it right up with with most dedicated shaving soaps, and superior to many of them.

I came across this thread because I was looking at Yardley soap this morning. Never tried it before, but I was wondering if the Botanical Aloe and Avocado soap would be good for a pre-shave wash. I was specifically looking for olive oil soaps, and came across this one fairly cheap.

I only use Yardley soap now. It's great, I live with hard water and have dry skin. Man this stuff has made such a difference with my skin you can feel the slickness with the soap. Great stuff.

For years i used Ivory Soap in bars. Ive been de shaving 3 yrs, got some puck shaving soap. Got bored with the Ivory bathing soap. Wanted interesting scents mostly. Still frugal minded, i opted to try a few bath soap bars on sale in local drugstores rather than splurge for artisan soaps by mail.

Ive used Yardley Lavender bar. Scent is ok but it is weak like 2 on a scale that goes to 10. I then got their Lemon Honey scented bar. Much stronger. But after the first use i concluded smelling like lemon and honey (even if just in the tub) is not my goal. Two names whisper to me. Sandalwood and patchouli. The bars on sale cheap at drugstores are not this. But i know i can go to Whole Foods and get a sandalwood scented bar for about $5.

Top Bottom