What's new

How to clean an old converter

I picked up an Osmiroid fountain pen at an estate sale along with some Sheaffer fountain pens and an Eversharp pencil. They were in a big bin of pens and pencils marked 5 for $1.00! I'll take some pics once I get them cleaned up and writing.

When I got the Osmiroid home, I flushed the converter with some warm, soapy water, but there is some old ink dried at the base where it connects to the pen that didn't come out. Any suggestions on how to get the old, dried ink to come free? I was leery of sticking something in the hole, as I didn't want to damage it.

$omniroid_converter.jpg $omniroid_converter_closeup.jpg

Last edited:
Soaking in pen flush as above works well. The other way is to shake it vigorously with some water inside of the converter. You need the airspace so it sloshes around. Make sure you cover the hole with your finger, though.

I don't have any amonia handy so I just let the converter soak in some warm water and Dawn dish soap for the last couple hours. I took a look, and the ink is starting to break up!

I'll check again later tonight, and see about picking up some amonia if that doesn't completely remove it.

I'm excited to try my 20 cent fountain pen! :tongue_sm

This probably won't help you right now, but an ultrasonic cleaner would be perfect for that converter. I got one last December and it's turned out to be invaluable for many different pen cleaning tasks. It's not a huge investment and it has uses outside of just cleaning pens...such as your wife's jewelry!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I bough my US cleaner initially for cleaning brass for reloading ammunition and cleaning gun parts. It may seem to be a big investment for cleaning pens, but it is so useful for cleaning so many different things that it can quickly pay for itself in no time. No matter what other hobbies you're into, you'll find many uses for one. If you use it to clean razors, be aware it can take off painted numbers from Slims and Fat Boys.

Top Bottom