What's new

What rates as a 'take no prisoners' alcohol based aftershave splash

I've been surfing around looking for a good, fiery alcohol based aftershave/splash with a good barbershop style scent. I like the sting of a higher alcohol percentage splash without leaving too much oil behind (apart from a fragrance). I'm a big menthol fan as well so anything teamed with an aromatic works.

Fine Accoutrements range looks good, what else rates?

Last edited:
Perhaps this one? It has a bay rum scent.
proxy.php

I get more than normal burn from Phoenix Accoutrements aftershaves. They make one for Razor Emporium called King R. Emporium. I would consider it a barbershop style scent, and it definitely has burn.

I get more than normal burn from Phoenix Accoutrements aftershaves. They make one for Razor Emporium called King R. Emporium. I would consider it a barbershop style scent, and it definitely has burn.

Yea the PAA burn a lot because they have alum in them.

For the max burn RazoRock P.160 has no equal.

I'm with you FatboyFan -- I also enjoy the sting of alcohol in an aftershave. Most have too little, in my opinion, and I find alcohol's bracing effect to be one of the most satisfying aspects of shaving, followed by a nice, soothing balm.

As much as I like Fine AS's, I would not describe them as alcohol heavy. If anything, they're pretty light overall, both the scent and the alcohol content.

Cat O Nine Tails does have a lot of burn but it's a warm burn, not a particularly bracing or refreshing face feel. You will feel it, however, so that may be one to try.

Frankly, I can't think of an aftershave that I have that couldn't benefit from a touch more alcohol. There are many I haven't tried, of course, but I do own about 20, including Speick (great scent and overall balance of qualities), DH Harris (Windsor, Arlington, Marlborough), Fine (Barbershop, Vetiver, Platinum), Stirling (Barbershop), Clubman, Nivea Energy (OK but weak), Pitralon (Classic German and Swiss), Alt Innsbruck (love it or hate it), Brut (cheap but good, not much alcohol), Proraso, and Myrsol (F and Aqua Balsamica).

While nothing compares to the alcohol burn of Old Spice from the 1970s (I haven't tried the new one since I never loved the scent), I'd say the following have a cooling effect which is, in part, due to alcohol and/or menthol:

Myrsol Aqua Balsamica (medicinal but fantastic)
Myrsol F (mild but also very good)
Pitralon Swiss (average/decent scent, but cooling)
Pitralon German Classic (better scent, worth trying)
DR Harris Arlington (strong, refined scent, excellent)

For pure burn... Captain's Choice Co9T and Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum.

For overall "barbershop, bracing: Clubman Original.

For bracing, refreshing wake you up: Aqua Velva Ice Blue.

I don't recommend The Veg because you must be chosen! Those not chosen must leave the precious nectar to those of use who are.

Superior 70 Bay Rum

65% alcohol, water, bay oil - that's all.

Bay Rum - can't get any more classic "barbershop" than that.

Dirt cheap and occasionally found at Walgreen's.

Also - Osage Rub for a serious menthol blast.

--Bob

Wow guys!! Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have some Captains Choice cat'o'nine tails and Pinaud Clubman Classic on order and a bottle of Fine Acoutrements 'snake bite' on order as well ...can't wait to give 'em a go! As for everclear, I can't get here in 'Oz' BUT I have a couple of bottles of 95 % Polymos Spiritus rectified polish spirit here that I can step down with some distilled water and add some essential oils to.

This is a great forum!

Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum. Burns with the heat of hellfire. Classic bay rum scent (heavy on cloves and cinnamon).

Also: Pinaud Clubman, Osage Rub, Skin Bracer.

Top Bottom