What's new

Bird Sightings

Out on a hike today, and a huge pileated woodpecker came flying down the path. About 5 mins later, I heard its song....just like Woody!

I was out kayaking today through a local bay that leads to Lake Ontario. Lake was calm, and fish were not biting, so I decided to kayak along the shore. Another (retired?) kayaker was out and he yells out to me "Hey! Come see this bald eagle!" and of course, I paddled quietly but quick over to him and after a bit found the Bald Eagle looking right down at us.

To me, the Bald Eagle is more than a symbol of our great country. They are truly majestic, and to those that have seen one, are quite large birds! I was happy this guy pointed it out to me, and was happy to see one!

I also saw a Swan, multiple ducks, A few Canadian Geese, and 2-3 Great Blue Herons, which as a kid I never seemed to see, but they are all over the place now. Lots of red-winged blackbirds, too.

Hmmm. My bird book says that Gambel's Quail don't live in my part of the state, but there are two in my back yard right now.

A small pile of black and white spotted feathers under my scotch pine tell me that the first hatch of downy woodpeckers have left the nest. The pile also tells me that a sharp-shinned or Cooper's hawk has taken advantage of this situation.

Don

While on a trip to northern New England last week, I saw a whole passel of birds (some common to my neck of the woods, others not so much): Hairy Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Black and White Warbler, Eastern Goldfinch, Black-Capped Chickadee, Goshawk, Great Egret, Great Heron, Snowy Egret, Sandpiper, and the list keeps going.

Dont know what this is but we shared lunch at the ski resort lodge yesterday. He is tagged so someone is keeping an eye on them

$Bird 1.jpg

It is an abundant, but very localized finch of the mountains of Mexico and Arizona. Like a lot of mountain species, its lack of contact with humans on a regular basis gives it a tame quality... probably why it saw no problem sharing your lunch:001_smile.

Don

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm in northern Illinois, and we have a plethora of birds at the feeders and the wetlands next to the house, but this summer we have been seeing a TON of European Goldfinches.
They are not indigenous to the U.S., and there is conjecture that released pet store birds have been breeding here.
There are just too many of them to be released birds.

$Nikon 009 (3).JPG
$Nikon 053.JPG
$Nikon 055.JPG

I'm in northern Illinois, and we have a plethora of birds at the feeders and the wetlands next to the house, but this summer we have been seeing a TON of European Goldfinches.
They are not indigenous to the U.S., and there is conjecture that released pet store birds have been breeding here.
There are just too many of them to be released birds.

You might have a localized breeding population near you, Phil. If the conditions are right, it wouldn't take too much time for a sizable population to grow, even from some released birds. This is what happened with house sparrows, European starlings, and house finches.

In any event, this person might be very interested in your sightings:

http://www.rrbo.org/conservation-science/research/bird-population-monitoring/eurobirds/.

Drop him an e-mail. Sometimes the best statistical info comes from backyard observers.

Don

P.S. - They're sharp looking birds. Wouldn't mind having some in my backyard!

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You might have a localized breeding population near you, Phil. If the conditions are right, it wouldn't take too much time for a sizable population to grow, even from some released birds. This is what happened with house sparrows, European starlings, and house finches.

In any event, this person might be very interested in your sightings:

http://www.rrbo.org/conservation-science/research/bird-population-monitoring/eurobirds/.

Drop him an e-mail. Sometimes the best statistical info comes from backyard observers.

Don

P.S. - They're sharp looking birds. Wouldn't mind having some in my backyard!

I'll drop him a line!

Top Bottom