What's new

Baffled - Gillette 1932 Made in Canada

So, went to an antique store, found a lovely Gillette 1932 Made in Canada, bought it, came home, cleaned it up, boiled it, lathered up, popped in a Feather, ran the first pass down my face and...nothing. The blade didn't even contact my face.

I am an experienced DE shaver. I use a Merkur razor and Feather blades all the time. This was a surprise to me.

Any ideas? Have any of you had a similar experience?

Last edited:
I have one of that description and it does the job admirably, with a Feather or other blades. If you can see what looks like a reasonable edge exposed, and you have done some basic experimentation with angle, you should have got it working by now.

Maybe the top cap has been substituted with something utterly incompatible?

Agreed, pics will help.

Photos...of course. Here are three photos of the 1932. I took the Feather out when I couldn't get it to work. It now has a Shark in it. The third photo is the one with the blade.

Attachments

• $1932 disasembled.jpg
    $1932 disasembled.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 58
  • $1932 with blade.jpg
    $1932 with blade.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 58
  • $1932 bladeless.jpg
    $1932 bladeless.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 57
That is a bit odd as the Tech looks fine, even the blade gap. Can you post a few more pics with the razor upright to show both sides with the blade?
Are you saying it won't cut ANYTHING? Have you tried your arm-hair?

Last edited:
Here the views you asked for. It did, indeed, shave arm hair. Maybe I just need to play with the angles. I will try that in the morning.

Attachments

• $1932 standing right side.jpg
    $1932 standing right side.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 43
  • $1932 upright left side.jpg
    $1932 upright left side.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 42
Problem solved. I used it this morning and no problem. Popped in a Shark blade. Just needed to play with the angle. It is a gentler shave than my Merkur adjustable. It is much less aggressive. Takes a little longer, but is easier on the face. Thanks for all the advice. It was a good investment at $12 CDN.

Top Bottom