What's new

Derby Blades

I tried Derby for the first time this evening, with some apprehension based on some reviews posted, however, I am very pleased with the results. This is the perfect example of YMMV

I've never gotten a very comfortable shave with Derbys. Their mildness makes them alright for learning the DE ropes, but once my technique improved I find it was time to branch out to sharper blades.

Personally, I get on with most blades because I replace the blade after 3 days which represents 3 shaves and maybe an extra evening touch up if needed if I go out for the evening. On that basis the Derby blade giving its third shave yesterday is about equivalent to the new Astra Superior Platinum which I used this morning. The problem I see with Derby blades is that after the third day in the razor being only rinsed every day they have some stains which look suspiciously like the beginning of rust. The other problem is the Derby dispenser: Anyone who can push out just one blade is a better man than I am Gunga Din and used blades easily fall out of the used blades slot.

Personally, I get on with most blades because I replace the blade after 3 days which represents 3 shaves and maybe an extra evening touch up if needed if I go out for the evening. On that basis the Derby blade giving its third shave yesterday is about equivalent to the new Astra Superior Platinum which I used this morning. The problem I see with Derby blades is that after the third day in the razor being only rinsed every day they have some stains which look suspiciously like the beginning of rust. The other problem is the Derby dispenser: Anyone who can push out just one blade is a better man than I am Gunga Din and used blades easily fall out of the used blades slot.

Do I understand you to mean that the Astra Superior Platinum is not a blade that you are pleased with, or that the Derby on the third shave performs better? I have not tried an Astra, or many other blades for that matter.

I enjoy Derby blades in my R-41 and Fatip. The more aggressive the razor the more the Derby blades shine

I absolutely agree!
they're my to go blades with any razor and #1 with my shavette.

I adore Derby and blades. With Gillette and Personna I can live without any other if I decide to do so.

ymmv indeed

I absolutely agree!
they're my to go blades with any razor and #1 with my shavette.

I adore Derby and blades. With Gillette and Personna I can live without any other if I decide to do so.

ymmv indeed

Where do you get yours from? I picked up 50 from Connaught Shaving.

I have used Derby blades for about 10 yrs. & have been very happy with them. But just in the last few months I have been having the same problem as J-MN, Often I get a blade that shaves great on one side, but the other side seems dull. Maybe I just got a bad batch, I hope so since I just bought a box of 100.

Not a big fan of Derby. Though far from the worst I tried. They just feel rough to me. My go to is GSB, 2nd is Astra SP.

Where do you get yours from? I picked up 50 from Connaught Shaving.

I'm in Italy and I buy them in Italy in a web shop.
In alternative I can suggest to buy for cheap to the most famous shaving Turkish store on the web...
:)

I hated derby. Until I got a little better. Heavy and mare aggressive razor, and the derby is better.

Derby blade + EJ 89 =\= feather + a Tech.

Next up for the derby is my big mean red tip.

I use Derby Extra in my german generic slant razor and in my Fattip. It gives me less razorburn than any other blade I have tried so far (Rapira, Shark, Lord, Perma Sharp, Astra, Feather and The Bluebeards Revenge). The Bluebeards Revenge works equally good in aggressive razors. In my less aggressive razors, Gillette Tech and Lord LP1822L, a Derby Extra blade is too dull and only give me razorburn or skin irritation. The best blade has been Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus. It also last for 10 to 12 shaves. I always clean my razor and blade with soap and oil them in after use.

Top Bottom