What's new

Can this blade be restored?

Hi guys, I found this old straight razor at my dads. It's pretty beat up, but I was hoping it could still somehow be restored. I don't know anything about the razor accept it says Queen City on it and Germany on it and Columbia C.C.CO on it. So, can it be restored? and can anyone tell me anything about the particular blade/manufacturer? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• $Razor 01.jpg
    $Razor 01.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 75
  • $razor 02.jpg
    $razor 02.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 72
  • $razor 03.jpg
    $razor 03.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 72
  • $razor 05.jpg
    $razor 05.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 74
  • $razor04.jpg
    $razor04.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 74
I'm pretty new to wet shaving. Currently I use a DE safety razor. I'd have no idea how to restore this. I could prolly try but I fear I'd damage te blade so much that nothing could help it haha. Do you know anyone who could restore this for me that you recommend?

It isn't worth the cost of restoring, unless you can do it yourself. You could buy one much like it, in very good shape, for about 20 bucks at many antique shops and on various internet auction sites.

I don't think you're going to find anyone that would take that one on. If it was just the chip at the toe, then making a shorty would be an option, but there is a rather large chip at the heel near the double stabilizers that would render restoration futile. There are better options available if you want to dip your toes into Straight shaving. If the piece has sentimental value, the make a shadow box with a pic/letter or similar to display.

I also found another razor at my dads. It looks really old, but the blade looks fairly decent. No nicks or chips in it. I can barely read it, took a second look to even notice it, but on the blade it says Shumate on it. Does anyone know anything about Shumate razors? Would it be worth restoring?

What I mean is I have a razor that is about 3/8 and it's not bad. Shaves well I can get the spot under my nose easily. I would take a 1200 DMT to that thing until the heal is good to go. I would not cut the toe short. Just my 2 cents...

I agree. This one would definitely have to be shortened. Unless there is some sentimental value, probably better to find other candidates.

It isn't worth the cost of restoring, unless you can do it yourself. You could buy one much like it, in very good shape, for about 20 bucks at many antique shops and on various internet auction sites.

I was gonna say the same thing. If you have a dremel you could round it out. It wouldn't be too hard. I wouldn't give up on it if it was me. But I have a problem turning down projects. Let us know how it goes!

Top Bottom