What's new

Bought some leather - made a strop

I have no idea what barbers used to do, or what anyone else does. I just grab the end and strop.
That seems to work pretty well for me. As for different grips - honestly, I have no idea how it could possibly matter.
I like the tarp clips too. I like hardware also. Whatever - I don't spend much time fussing over handles, no handles, d rings, pulls, or whatever.

Don't mean to take this off-topic, yours looks like a nice piece and I would love to cut myself some horse-hide and play around with it some day. I hold the end with what I think is called the "barber's grip." There, the fingers cross over the stropping surface at the end and curl around the far edge and the thumb curls around the near edge. For my sample size of exactly one off-hand, 2-1/2" wide seems a comfortable fit, 2" a bit narrow, and 3" just a little bit too wide. Of course, one can prefer what one wants, and 3" seems to be the preference; but there, I think the grip may be different (thinking of a handle here). As the trend moves this way, I can only bemoan that more and more strop makers only seem to be selling 2" and 3" models, whereas 2-1/2" was a favored width in days gone by.

I have a 2-1/2" Walkin' Horse strop with a D-ring that I ignore. The thing with the grip I mentioned is that one can introduce a little bit of crown or convexing that way.

Yeah, I just grab my 2" wide Herold strop above the D ring; even at 2" I feel it's cupped when using the D ring.

I'm thinking of getting the 2.5" Illinois strop with a barber end. Been looking for some leather too to maybe make my own.

Top Bottom