What's new

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal

Straight Shave #1:

I finally took the plunge and got a straight - GD300 6/8 from Buca. Gave it a go this morning for the first time. I had watched videos and read plenty before beginning, so I felt as prepared as I could be. I got to say, I don't think I did too bad for an initial endeavor. However, I'm certain that I was using too shallow an angle and not enough pressure because it didn't feel like I was actually cutting any whiskers at first. No problem, re-group and adjust; better. I was going to just do the cheeks (as the experts have advised), but things went OK so kept going. The neck is a challenge for sure - I was way too timid and really didn't shave many whiskers there - that's going to take a while to perfect, no doubt.

So I did just one pass, WTG, and made it alive with no cuts, nicks, or weepers (but I do have an area on my neck that has a little redness) but it certainly wasn't an efficient shave - didn't look like I had really shaved that much, to be honest. That's OK; I'm encouraged and see what I need to do (I think). Finished up with a Flare Tip Super Speed for the second and final pass. I feel good, for beginner's luck. I'm sure that the next time I'll be getting out the alum block and styptic pencil.

Set up:

Soap: Shannon’s Soaps: Lady Luck
Brush: Plisson L’Occitane synth w/Rudy Vey PJ style handle
Razor: GD300 6/8
Aftershave splash: Pinaud Clubman Classic
Aftershave balm: QCS unscented balm

Straight Shave #2:

Shave #2 clearly indicated that I experienced beginner’s luck yesterday. There’s nothing quite like the taste of humble pie; and I had two big helpings of it this evening.

First piece was in stropping. Glad I got the inexpensive/beginners strop because I slightly nicked one edge at one end. I also flipped the razor the wrong way a couple of times and probably dorked up the edge, but pressed on anyway. I feel like a total bonehead with that - Good grief, Charlie Brown! And I kept telling myself that I wasn’t going to do that – dang it.

The second piece of humble pie was in the shave itself. I took "Ouch"s" advice about making a first pass with the DE, then go to the straight. I modified it slightly, in that I did that with one half of my face. I wanted to see the comparison in both shave feel and post shave effectiveness. To the latter, about equal. However, the shaving itself was much better on the DE side, for sure. I only did one straight pass on the DE side, but did two on the non-DE side. I did not shave my neck with the straight this evening at all. I pretty much felt like I was “all thumbs” this time – really uncoordinated and a bit careless with the razor. Twice, while repositioning the razor, I touched my face inadvertently/haphazardly and thought it would leave a mark, but lucked out and it didn’t.

I also was not wearing my reading glasses this evening (middle age, “arms not long enough”). I can get away with that while DE shaving, but yesterday, I put them on for the initial straight shave. I found it awkward while up at the sideburn area, so figured I didn’t need them today – I was wrong! Additionally, I was plumb tuckered out tonight – fatigue is not a good thing with this endeavor.

I’m also still trying to figure out the best way (for me) to grip/hold the razor, especially up near my sideburns, because I can’t really get a good view. So far I’ve been using two fingers on the razor side with the left hand (like most photos/vids I’ve seen). But on my dominate right, I’ve tried just one, as well as the two. Yesterday, one seemed comfortable, but today it seemed more comfortable with two.

So shave #2 was humbling for sure; kind of bummed me out. But it’s been a long day, and I will be sure to follow these two rules from here on out: (1) Wear my reading glasses when shaving with the straight! (2) Don’t straight razor shave in the evening!

Set Up:

Barrister & Mann Bay Rum
ShaverJoe, TGN 2-band Finest, "Chief" style GT handle
GD 300
DE: ATT S2
Bootlegger's Bay Rum aftershave

Well. Slow your stropping down a bit and just work on your concentration. Sounds like you're doing fine. Its always a bit of an up and down game. With more practice you'll become less sensitive to being tired or in a hurry.

It is funny you mention the reading glasses as I also wear progressives for reading, and I have for years. But I never used them for shaving. I know and appreciate your feeling of clumsy and not knowing what to do with your hands and fingers. Keep at this, and it will come for sure, if you keep at this.

SR Shave #3:

Much better today than Shave #2 - I'm encouraged. Did one WTG pass and one ATG pass on all but lower neck. Took everything slow, and was methodical, to include stropping beforehand. Wearing my glasses helped a lot, and not suffering from fatigue definitely was key. I noticed the razor was skipping/tugging a bit in places - not sure if it was poor technique or blade not sharp enough. I thought I may have dorked up the edge last time with poor stropping, so used the balsa (as per Buca's recommendation). Hard to know when you're just starting out - nothing to compare to.

Set up:

I Coloniali Mango
Rudy Vey LE Holiday Brush, Shavemac 2-band silvertip
GD 300
Pitralon Swiss aftershave

SR Shave #4:

Tried a different razor this time. Instead of the GD300 6/8, I tried a new Ralf Aust 5/8. I think that I am going to prefer the 5/8, at least at this early stage - I had a pretty good shave. Got the entire mug and neck this time. Went WTG, XTG, and another WTG. Still not what I call a DFS, but certainly acceptable. I still have a little red irritation on the lower neck, though; that's the biggest challenge area for sure.

Set up:

Ralf Aust 5/8
AOS Sandalwood w/Catie's Bubbles Santal
Kent BK8
Captain's Choice Sandalwood mixed with a little Witch Hazel

SR Shave #5:

I used the GD 6/8 on one side of my face, and the Ralf Aust 5/8 on the other, just to see how they compared. I think I may have to get the GD re-honed due to my poor stropping the second time around - tried the balsa, but the razor is tugging too much. But then again, the Ralf Aust wasn't much better this time - so it begs the question: is the tugging due to lack of razor sharpness, or just poor technique? Perhaps I'm not using enough pressure?

I still avoided the neck today, but the rest of my face was decent, all things considered. Did one WTG and one XTG pass - did a clean up pass with the DE. The realization that this is going to take longer to master than I had thought has really sunk in - not a bad thing - just the reality of it. No worries, will continue to persevere.

Set up:

Mike's Vetiver
ShaverJoe, TGN 2-band Finest
Fine Clean Vetiver
Reef Point unscented balm

Check your blade angle and try with good wet lather - if both razors are working the same, and you believe at least one of them to be sharp, it's probably not the blade but the technique - Vary the angle a bit and compare to see what works better.

SR Shave #6:

Ah, much better today - I'm encouraged. I really focused on getting as slick a lather as I could this time - much more so than what I use for the DE. I went with some Bio Palmyra and just kept adding a little bit of water, even past what I thought was enough, and got it almost "soupy" - that's the ticket! I also went with a little Proraso pre-shave cream prior to lathering. Used the Ralf Aust 5/8 and it performed much better than the last time.

Now, in all fairness, I did two things different today: first, early this morning I shaved one WTG pass with my Flare Tip Super Speed (and didn't use my usual Feather - went with a Gillette black). Then, just now (late morning), I took the straight out and really focused on technique. Secondly: I gave the razor 10 passes on the balsa and then stropped 60 passes prior to the shave, so perhaps I got the edge better as well. But what I do know is that this was the best straight razor shave I've had yet. I did one WTG pass on entire face, and one XTG pass on everything except the lower neck. Granted, I acknowledge that I did a DE pass first (as has been recommended), but I feel that I was able to get the correct angle and amount of pressure with the straight this time.

The straight is starting to feel more comfortable to use now and I don't feel like I'm "all thumbs". Perhaps I see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not a train coming at me this time. Still a long way to go, but I'm feeling better about this venture now. I feel good, and I actually broke out some Creed Aventus just "because".

Set up:

Proraso pre-shave cream
Bio Palmyria
Omega S-Brush
Ralf Aust 5/8
Fine Platinum Aftershave
Reef Point unscented balm
Creed Aventus

Last edited:
SR Shave #7:

Same set-up today as yesterday, except I used the GD 300 and did not use a DE first. Nice, coordinated shave. One WTG and one XTG pass on entire face and neck. I do believe, however, that a re-honing for the GD is in order - it just didn't cut as well as the Ralf Aust. So I clearly dorked up the GD blade in my early stropping - lesson learned.

BTW, I'm 98% of the time a soap guy, but I do use a cream every now and then. I've always thought that Bio Palmyra was the best cream I've used with the DE, and when extra hydrated, it is really nice with the SR - nice and slick.

Last edited:
It's heartening to read about your slow, steady progress. I have my first SR on the way and can't wait to start.

Question: do you use both hands?

.......Question: do you use both hands?

Yes. I'm right handed, but haven't had too much of a problem using the left - it surprised me, actually. Maybe because I was more focused?

Good luck with your upcoming venture - enjoy!

Top Bottom