What's new

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal

That Easy Aces looks great Chris. Am I seeing the bluing all the way up the blade? I thought the bluing stopped at the edge of the shoulders.

Nice shave Chris! Give the knot some time... The HMW I have in my Made-Rite was a bit like yours at first, but now after they're soaked they're like gel soft. If worst comes to worst send it my way for proper disposal! :lol:

I just have a sample of that fragrance and I will be getting a bottle of it.

Hopefully the brush will break in and be more to your liking - the handle is very nice and the size and loft looks great for face lathering.

Sounds like a very relaxed afternoon shave!

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

I have a 20mm Whipped Dog black badger for travel. My travel setup is Arko stick in a deodorant dispenser that I apply to the face and face lather. The brush was too floppy, needed less loft to support the black hairs of the brush for my application. Today I ordered a 24mm synth. with 5mm less loft than standard. Hoping it works out. If not I'll have to go to 10mm less loft, etc., until it is just right.

Last edited:
Fantastic shave and set up as well as a Phenomenal Photo Chris, very well done indeed:thumbup: I am very sorry to hear he knot did not live up to your standards but hopefully it will get there wih break in time my Friend:thumbup:

That Easy Aces looks great Chris. Am I seeing the bluing all the way up the blade? I thought the bluing stopped at the edge of the shoulders.

You are correct in that the bluing stops at the shoulders. The blade darkness is just shadow from my sub-par photography.

Nice shave Chris! Give the knot some time... The HMW I have in my Made-Rite was a bit like yours at first, but now after they're soaked they're like gel soft. If worst comes to worst send it my way for proper disposal! :lol:

Good to know!

I just have a sample of that fragrance and I will be getting a bottle of it.

Hopefully the brush will break in and be more to your liking - the handle is very nice and the size and loft looks great for face lathering.

Sounds like a very relaxed afternoon shave!

Thanks, Pete.

I have a 20mm Whipped Dog black badger for travel. My travel setup is Arko stick in a deodorant dispenser that I apply to the face and face lather. The brush was too floppy, needed less loft to support the black hairs of the brush for my application. Today I ordered a 24mm synth. with 5mm less loft than standard. Hoping it works out. If not I'll have to go to 10mm less loft, etc., until it is just right.

A 24mm synth from Whipped Dog? If so, excellent choice!!

Fantastic shave and set up as well as a Phenomenal Photo Chris, very well done indeed:thumbup: I am very sorry to hear he knot did not live up to your standards but hopefully it will get there wih break in time my Friend:thumbup:

Thanks, Nate.

Great shave Chris! I don't know enough about brushes yet to even be sure of what I like or not. Does Badger also have a 'break in' period like boar brushes?

Nice pic!!

I have to agree with you Chris....my "go to" razor on the road is my Bengall.....holds a great edge and is just seems to be balanced perfectly for me.

Mine is also a 2-band Shavemac 22mm x 46mm with a 50mm high base. It has not gotten any softer with use for me; say 25-30 uses. I hope this helps. I'm glad you got to steal a quiet shave today. :thumbup:

Well, that's discouraging. At least there's no "scritch" - just scrubby and lacking the "luxury" characteristic. It's all good. :001_cool:

Great shave Chris! I don't know enough about brushes yet to even be sure of what I like or not. Does Badger also have a 'break in' period like boar brushes?

Not a breakin in period like boar. However, some badgers do get softer tipped over time, some not. But most knots will "open up" more, and that may give the feeling of being softer.

Catching up - Great photo and shave. be safe on your trip

Thanks!

Nice pic!!

I have to agree with you Chris....my "go to" razor on the road is my Bengall.....holds a great edge and is just seems to be balanced perfectly for me.

Thanks! I love my Bengall razors, but they stay at home where it's safe :001_cool:

SR Shave #319:

Another "house-to-myself-afternoon shave". And I opted to go with the Dorko 576. This is a large 13/16 full hollow blade, and for some reason, requires probably more focused attention than any other razor I own.

I did some JNAT refreshing on it last night (heavy slurry down to misty) and I'll give the edge a grade of B+. It is very, very smooth, but I think it could be a tad bit sharper (but I'm being uber critical). I did 2 passes that were very enjoyable and irritation-free, that was DFS(-) and I would have called it OK if I weren't going to work later today. But since I am going to work, I did a third pass with the superspeed - I didn't want a visit from "you know who".

For the S/B&M Project: Stirling "Piacenza". This puck, since airing out per Rod's recommendation, has turned out to be perfectly fine. And even with all the airing out, the scent is still robust and as AWESOME as ever! My goodness, this stuff is great. And the matching aftershave is some dynamite juice! He nailed the AdP Colonia scent (IMHO).

Set Up:

Dorko 576 13/16 full hollow
Simpson Chubby 2
Stirling Piacenza soap & aftershave
Acqua di Parma Colonia

$073016b.jpg

No Westholme here, but I do have a Bison horsehide (and love it!) and a homemade horsehide w/fire hose linen. I think I may have to wear out a Gold Dollar or 2 to get that fire hose broke in enough to be comfortable taking some of my more delicate blades to! [emoji23]
My 3" Bison horsehide has been my main strop for six months now. That in competition with Miller and Scrupleworks.

With a setup like that plus some 'quiet time' all you need is an adult beverage to put the capper on a perfect day! :thumbup:

Thanks! And I did have an "adult beverage" - coffee, black, the way it should be :001_cool:

Beautiful, all the way around!

Thanks, Dave. I still cannot figure what is the deal with the B&B photo program, or whatever it is that I'm doing wrong. My photos on my computer are in complete focus, but when uploaded here, they aren't sharp, or in focus very well.

You do good work unsupervised!

Thanks, Rich!

Great shave, and how fortunate to have another afternoon to yourself. How enjoyable! Have a great weekend.:thumbup1:

Thanks - the silence is a precious commodity indeed.

Gotta love the silent shave :thumbup:

Definitely!

My 3" Bison horsehide has been my main strop for six months now. That in competition with Miller and Scrupleworks.

Bison makes excellent strops. I actually did have one in horse hide, but it had a flaw on the stropping surface, so got it replaced with english bridle instead. I definitely like it. My favorite strops so far are: Westholme, Bison, and Tony Miller (the Scrupleworks is too new to assess yet).

Stunning work Brother for sure and an excellent call avoiding the Big M Visit :thumbup:

Thanks, Nate.

I do like this quote!

Nice shave Chris - wonderful setup and you are moving the CEC needle to purchase this soap and AS from Stirling for me....

:thumbup:

Top Bottom