What's new

Above The Tie Recommendations!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Hi all,

So, I am considering getting an Above the Tie razor. After doing pretty extensive research, I have concluded that an M1, M2, S1, or S2, would be best for me because of my very sensitive skin. It seems that, generally, the M2 is favored over the M1, and the S2 is slightly favored over the S1.

So, I would like to ask: who has experience with these? What are the differences?

Also, which ATT handle is most similar in weight to an AS-D2?

The ATT razor is a world-class piece of equipment. You'll not be disappointed in an ATT razor. As far as my experience goes I had problems with the M2. The M1 is far smoother a shave for me and I don't have sensitive skin. The M2 felt rough and I got more cuts from it. Everyone's face is different though. You can exchange it if you don't like whatever you do select, so not a big problem there. With the variety of choices available to you there's an ATT that will fit you perfectly I'm sure.

I recently got an R1 plate and really like that. I've gotten excellent shaves from it and it's become my daily go-to now over the M1. I find the R1 a smoother shave than the M2 in fact. Maybe I'm a solid-bar guy? Don't know how to explain it, but that's my experience.

Of the slants, the S1 is smoother and the S2 gives a slightly closer shave, IMHO. However, they are so close you can go wrong with either or both.

You might want to contact customer support at ATT. They'll be able to steer you toward the razor that's best for you.

If you have sensitive skin, you'll probably prefer a milder razor - something like a M2. You'll still get a great shave, but you'll avoid irritation. I've never tried a slant, so I can't offer much help there.

ATT is second to none in craftsmanship and performance (IMHO). I have an M1 and S1 with Kronos and Atlas handles. The S1 is more aggressive than the M1 but pretty close to the M2. I had an M2, but sold it; I found that I prefer a standard bar.

I've got the m1 m2 s1 and s2 coming to me next week. (Don't ask.)

So hit me up for a review in a couple of weeks. :)

I have the S1 and that is my only experience with ATT. I absolutely love it. It is by far the most elegantly crafted and highly engineered razor I have every held in my grubby little paws. The shave it provides is smooth and oh-so-close.

I can't steer you to the best ATT item but I can tell you that ATT is awesome.

Can someone post a S1 and S2 with a blade in it to see how much of the blade shows.

I am curious and trying to decide on what to get. I think I would like a R1 but might also try a slant too!

Thx.

I returned my S2 head for an M2 head. It hasn't arrived, so I cannot speak to it. The S2 reminded me a lot of the Merkur slant. Obviously a lot of folks disagree, but that is how it felt to my skin. The quality of construction was excellent, of course, vastly better than the Merkur.

I started out with a Kronos M2, loved it, wanted to try the M1 head and bought that. Hated it. For me, it was inefficient in that it would have taken me 8 passes to get to BBS. As usual, YMMV. Traded it with another member for an R2, love that as well. And finally added an Atlas handle with the S2. I guess I just like the ATT OC heads.

As far as aggression, R2 > S2 > M2.

You really can't go wrong especially with the ATT return policy. The craftsmanship is superb and they are works of art.

I have the M1 w/Kronos handle. I have sensitive skin and it shaves real good. I've never tried a slant though. What was so different for me was the weight difference. I had only used Merkur 23C or 1904/1906 and the weight of the Kronos handle alone is more than those! Whatever you choose it is satisfaction guaranteed with a 30 day exchange policy. Their razors are of superb quality and Stan is quick to respond if there are any questions.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I gotta say, Stan is a stand-up guy. I composed several OCD emails to him, telling him of my safety razor history, what works, what doesn't, and on and on. Instead of dismissing me like the chump I am, he took all my points into account, then made a recommendation. Gonna pull the trigger I think. One question though: if you order a set, can you return one part of it for a partial refund?

My first ATT was an Atlas handle S2. Love the razor; the fit and finish is first rate, but I found the open comb a bit much for me for daily use. I contacted Stan contemplating a return, but ultimately decided to order an S1 plate in addition to the S2.

In my view, it is a spectacular razor. Smooth, close and very comfortable. I will keep the S2 plate and reserve it for times when I may be dealing with more than a day's growth. It works very well, but is just a bit much for me for daily use.

i cannot recommend either one strongly enough, and am sure Stan will work with you to ensure you get the best combination.

Well it seems everybody has an experience with ATT, or so it would seem.
I just received my seven piece set, Open Comb with a Kronos and Colossus handles. I am in awe at the shave I receive. H2, R2 and M2 gave me the best shave of my life, as I used all three in the first three pass shave.
Now I just have to have the S2 ASAP with the Atlas Handel. Such an awesome experience.
BTW, at the ATT store under FAQ, there is an aggressiveness/comparison chart some might find interesting. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425098563.094369.jpg

Last edited:
My point of reference is the S2, which I originally got with an Atlas handle (and now use with the Kronos handle). It's a wonderful razor. No other razor I've used up to this point gives me such carefree shaves (no nicks or irritation) while still efficiently cutting through my reasonably coarse whiskers.

For reference, I also have a 37C slant which not only irritated and bit me more, but didn't seem more efficient than the 34C. So I wasn't so impressed. The ATT slants are a whole other thing; they're remarkably mild (as in, not irritating or difficult to use) but still cut like a more aggressive razor.

A lot of guys here have said that the S1/S2 are mild like the M1/M2, but have the efficiency of the R plates. So if you're already considering the M plates, you may want to go right to the slants.

Here's a picture of my S2 with the blade in it. Yes, it LOOKS scary, but in practice, there's nothing at all to worry about; it's a very comfortable, easy razor.

$IMG_4488.jpg$IMG_4487.jpg

I couldn't tell you about the S1, but I've tried the M1 on all three handles, and despite my preference for shorter, my favorite was the Colossus. The Atlas barber pole looks great but just isn't grippy enough. It also has, along with the Kronos, a rounded bottom, which I don't like as I often rest the bottoms on my little finger.

Compared to my 34/38C and DE89 the M1 has excellent feedback and is more aggressive, which I need. I'll be trying out the R1 for the first time later today...

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I pulled the trigger. I went with Stan's recommendation: a kronos S2. Because of his amazing return policy, I got an S1 as well. I figure I can return the head that performs worse for me. From your comments above it seems like I might use S1 as a daily driver and S2 for date night...

Top Bottom