What's new

So.ears?

Except for a small patch on my forehead, I grow hair from the top of my head to the tip of my toes. If I didn't shave my face, I'd look like a Wookie with a bald spot right above the eyes. I'm 64, and still have a full head of hair, so I doubt I'll ever be bald. If I ever did go bald, I could just not shave one of my ears and do a comb-over!

Which brings me to my question: for those of you cursed with hairy ears, how do you trim/cut/shave them? I have been using an electric trimmer that has both a small straight head and a round head. I use the flat head to trim the hair on the outer portion and the round head (actually intended for nose hairs) to trim inside. Unfortunately, this leaves visible stubble on my ears even right after trimming. I have tried shaving them with a cartridge razor, but I cut one of ears badly while trying to maneuver the multiple blades, and I'm afraid to try a DE razor.

I've thought about waxing them or maybe using some Nair...electrolysis is out (too expensive)...or just letting them grow and maybe braiding them for a "unique" look. :lol: Then I thought surely someone else here is fairly Neanderthal when it comes to hair growth, and perhaps has a similar problem and solution. Anyone?

doesn't sound like mine are as bad as yours, but I definitely suffer the same affliction. I use tweezers, while at first it may seem daunting, afterwards it just requires a quick maintenance once a day or every other day when a sprout pops up.

have tried shaving them with a cartridge razor, but I cut one of ears badly while trying to maneuver the multiple blades,
The one thing I miss about carts is the trimmer blade. If you look at the back of the cart (fusion, anyway), there's a single blade, probably meant to get the end of the sideburns straight, but I found it pretty easy to use on my ears. I only have hair on the lobes and the cartilage rim, so it works for me. DEs are a bit awkward for that

I use tweezers

:scared:

Well, that's definitely not something I had considered! You, sir, have my respect.

I guess I can give that a try...I'm not sure if I could see them all that well, through the tears. Maybe the next time I make my wife mad, she'd be happy to rip them out for me...

Last edited:
The one thing I miss about carts is the trimmer blade. If you look at the back of the cart (fusion, anyway), there's a single blade, probably meant to get the end of the sideburns straight, but I found it pretty easy to use on my ears. I only have hair on the lobes and the cartilage rim, so it works for me. DEs are a bit awkward for that

The hair on mine grows on all the surfaces, inside and out. The only carts I have now are for my Atra, without a trimmer blade. Since the Atra pivots, I'm reluctant to try it...I cut myself using a Mach 3 carttridge (which is long gone anyway.)

have you ever tried an epilator? I use one on the back, and that sir, that will bring tears to your eyes!

I haven't. I can only imagine though that it must hurt like a...well, words best not used here.

My theory about back hair is that I can't see it so it's not a problem....and my wife and I have been married for 36 years this year, so she's grown used to it. Besides, it helps keep me warm.

You may want to look at "threading," which is how women get their eyebrows done these days.

I looked up threading on YouTube...dang, that takes some dexterity and coordination! I'm not sure I could manage that...especially behind my ears or inside them.

I looked up threading on YouTube...dang, that takes some dexterity and coordination! I'm not sure I could manage that...especially behind my ears or inside them.

You don't do it yourself. You go to a threading salon (or whatever they call them) and they do it for you. Here in LA, there are a lot of old Persian ladies who do it.

Rechargeable trimmer (Panasonic ER GS60) for me - wet/dry, cordless, and I can trim my scalp with it as well. My nickname at one point was "fuzzy ears". I can't imagine using tweezers, as I'd be there for hours.

Make braids.

:lol: :thumbup:

You don't do it yourself. You go to a threading salon (or whatever they call them) and they do it for you. Here in LA, there are a lot of old Persian ladies who do it.

A couple of years ago, they were advertising a topless barber shop here in the Dallas area...my wife told me if I ever came home with a hair cut, of any kind, anywhere, by anyone, she would give me a trim at the neck line with hedge clippers! :scared: She used to cut my hair in our younger days, and she said she would start cutting it again. No salon visits for me!

Rechargeable trimmer (Panasonic ER GS60) for me - wet/dry, cordless, and I can trim my scalp with it as well. My nickname at one point was "fuzzy ears". I can't imagine using tweezers, as I'd be there for hours.
My nickname is anything from fuzzy ears,furry ears, wolfman and beast. Unfortunately my son inherited it too...
I just use the electric razor with clipper type attachment that flips out.

I can't imagine using tweezers, as I'd be there for hours.

Me too...I have LOTS of hair on my ears, and it even grows on the backs of my ears, where I can't see. I usually ask my wife to use the clippers on the backs of my ears when she shaves my neck between haircuts.

Top Bottom