What's new

Where to buy empty shave tins

Hi Guys,

I'm relatively new to DE shaving (2 months) and have just one soap and one cream in my collection. I'm looking to add some more, particularly soaps, but don't want to pay the substantial cost of the wooden bowl each time I get a new soap.

I've seen tins sold for a decent price on the Stirling Soap Company site, but am curious whether these are easily found elsewhere, particularly in bulk in case I add a bunch of new soaps.

Thanks for any info.
Chris

I don't know anything about tins, but based on a recommendation I saw here I use 1 cup Pyrex bowls with lids. Easy to find, relatively cheap, and they stack nicely. Perfect size if you shred/melt the puck into place.

I bought some bath and shaving soap from Stirling Soap Company earlier this week and they sell tins so I picked some up. I was at Walmart last night and they had the pyrex dishes someone mentioned abover for a good price as well. Think it was like 10 bucks for 6 of the larger sized ones. They also had some smaller ones as well.

I also agree with Pyrex type glass bowls that come with lids. I get the Anchor brand from Big Lots here in Tampa, FL. I use the 2 cup size for the Stirling Soap Co.'s full pucks and the 1 cup size for their sample pucks. Slap some masking tape on each one and write the scent on it. Inexpensive, stacks nice and looks great.

Last edited:
There seems to be an awful lot effort to avoid Stirling's $1.75 tins, which happen to be the exact correct shape for soap pucks. Not only are the savings small but I avoid glass in the bathroom whenever possible.

There seems to be an awful lot effort to avoid Stirling's $1.75 tins, which happen to be the exact correct shape for soap pucks. Not only are the savings small but I avoid glass in the bathroom whenever possible.

i did not realize stirling's tins were so cheap. Thanks for the tip, Abby.

Why not check dollar stores?

I've seen some nice glass and ceramic bowls with lids/covers that would be great. I have to say that I tend to be torn between airtight or not... if it's a soap you are using, I'd say not airtight to let it dry between shaves, and airtight for dry soaps to not loose the scents as fast.

I've found a really nice porcelain bowl with cover at a grocery store for my Williams.

But aside that, I only have that one soap in use at this time aside my Proraso that comes in a tub. I just don't have the need to switch every shave, nor have the space for too many soaps on my stand. (3 soaps and 3 creams and that's more than plenty for me)

Mortar bowls are the best in my opinion. Cheap, solid, heavy, rough on the inside, come in lots of sizes. The only problem is that they generally don't come with a lid, so any fragrance soap you leave in them is likely to gradually lose the fragrance over time. Or just use as a lather bowl each day and rinse out.

Top Bottom