What's new

Minimal prep for straight razor shave?

Seraphim. That "intervention" post you made on the first page was one of the best posts I have read. Ever. :thumbup1:

Even if you use saran wrap to hone your razors. You're all right!!!

Well gents, I think this has been one of the most epic threads I’ve started yet. I think I’ll try a soap stick, stropping on newspaper (or my palm,), and do more research into olive oil. It goes without saying that I’ll not wipe down the sink when in a hotel room, though I wipe down more when crashing with friends when on vacation than day-to-day with SWMBO. I will not be growing a beard. I just got back from a long vacation, and, when packing, I thought “hmm, guitar or straight, strop, brush and coticule?” I opted for guitar and shavette. Next trip, no matter if for business or pleasure, I’ll be bringing my straight and accoutrements.

When I travel I bring a brush, soap, strop, razor, etc. A few minutes with the usual stuff is a nice way to start the day, especially if the rest will be spent in a conference room . . . .

Ditto! I travel roughly 26 weeks a year and can't imagine not bringing my accoutrements as listed above with me....Fortunately I don't spend too much time in conference rooms but it's a terrific way to start the day even when you're not home.

Well, I believe on the weekend I will be in a hotel, and I will bring the str8. I will try very hard to lather like a dog in carwash and clean *nothing* up.

Heck Seraphim you've inspired me to reclaim my cojones... The house cleaners are here today so I left water on the counter and (gasp) whiskers and lather on the sides of the sink!

I think there's even some MWF on the mirror from lathering.

Heck Seraphim you've inspired me to reclaim my cojones... The house cleaners are here today so I left water on the counter and (gasp) whiskers and lather on the sides of the sink!

I think there's even some MWF on the mirror from lathering.

Don't you feel better now?

Don't you feel better now?

You know, I don’t use a mirror for any part of my shave, but I just may have to get some lather on the bathroom mirror tomorrow in solidarity with you. Maybe we can start mirror-lathering as a trend. :)

This thread is hilarious... Now that I just got back from spending time at a hotel where I left the counter relatively clean - I came back and all my stuff was neatly organized and was spotless. It was like being at home! :)

Back on topic: I took my basic Omega boar brush (it was $5; if it's lost or damaged: i won't complain too much), my DE shavette, a pack of blades and a tin of soap (PdP) that can easily be closed up to carry. I would say that it took up less space than a can of shaving cream.

I did toss in a small tube of Gillette's aftershave gel (the chemical-mint one) - only because it's in a small plastic container.

You know, I don’t use a mirror for any part of my shave, but I just may have to get some lather on the bathroom mirror tomorrow in solidarity with you. Maybe we can start mirror-lathering as a trend. :)

You can splatter lather on the mirror in solidarity with me, and I could try shaving with my eyes closed in solidarity with you.. Might not be lather I'm splattering on the mirror then.. And to think I just donated plasma yesterday...

.. although, while I don't think I'm quite ready to try it, thinking about it I kinda believe most of my shave is actually by feel. My rational brain knows it should be possible for me to do it without looking - but I think lizard brain is too used to seeing it in the mirror and knows how sharp the darn thing is.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Minimal?

Bar soap in the shower, and a shavette. Or shampoo, or conditioner, whatever goodies the maid leaves in the room. Stick a new half blade in the shavette when you leave, and you are good for a half dozen shaves without buying blades on the road.

Top Bottom