What's new

Reicifepolitan

Late last year I purchased a small-size Reicife Crystal. Even though an Indian company (Airmail) copied the design and makes it available for far cheaper, I had to have the Reicife.

I don't think the pen was all that special, except for the nib. It was a medium nib, two-tone, steel nib that wrote like a dream and more like a Western fine to medium-fine. It was very smooth, well-built, and beautiful to look at.

Unfortunately, I found that the section threads were made out of the softest plastic that I've ever experienced in a fountain pen. I was cleaning it and either created or widened two tears in the plastic, more or less rendering the pen to be unsuitable for use. I parted out the pen and kept the nib separate for a project that wasn't available to me yet.

About a month ago I was playing around with nibs and noticed that the steel Pilot Plumix nib is pretty much the same size and shape as the Reicife nib. That made me experiment a little with a Pilot Metropolitan I had lying around. Sure enough, the nib, feed and section fit quite well - perhaps a bit too snug, but certainly worth exploring.

I asked for a WTB for another Pilot Metropolitan, gold tone, and it didn't have to be working. I had a response within about two hours for a pen missing a nib, and struck a deal shortly thereafter for a trade. Last night the Metropolitan body arrived. It took a little fiddling, and a lot of patience, but I now have a gold tone Pilot Metropolitan with a two-tone Reicife nib.

I'll carry it around as one of my EDC pens today, but I fell in love with the combo just with a couple of scribbles last night. I'll post pictures soon and give an update on how it performs, but I'm really hopeful it works out.

Finally have Tapatalk working so hopefully this posts. Here's the nib. The pen is just a plain gold Metropolitan.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425141424.216668.jpg

It writes pretty well, more like a fine Western nib. It can be a bit of a hard starter.

Unfortunately this configuration is such a non-starter at the moment that I had to take it apart. No ink is getting to the nib. I have a couple of Pilot feeds that I might work on to see if I can get this to work, but for the moment I am abandoning it.

Top Bottom