What's new

Would like to buy a premium strop

What do you recommend? I currently use a SRD black Latigo and a beautiful vintage Russian Shell but would like something a bit higher end now. Looking at TM but he sells out rather fast. Any other ideas? The Russian Shell is definitely premium for when it was made but the 2.5" - 3" strops weren't popular back then. I have some top end razors in my collection but never went out and bought a top end strop.

Thanks.

Kanayama #3 appear to be available from Aframestokyo. They get a lot of positive discussion as very high end quality, and cost just over $100. Higher grade are available at greater cost. May be worth a look. I have never used one so others will have to provide hands on experience reports.

I use TM strops and enjoy their high quality and performance, but they sell out fast. To get a new TM, you may have to check his site frequently and pull the trigger immediately when one that you like becomes available.

Neil Miller strops are a premium product made from high end materials with high end workmanship.

Last edited:
You have hit one of my favorite subjects. I am a strop hound with a love for premium strops. My own collection includes:

Neil Miller Horween cordovan shell and natural linen
Kanayama 90K with his canvas
Walkin Horse Horween cordovan shell and natural linen
Walkin Horse split side and natural linen
Tony Miller Old Number 2 and natural linen
Scruppleworks oil tanned and natural linen
Classic Shaving latigo and natural linen
Straight Razor Designs Roo and natural linen

Some of these did not come with natural linen and in those cases I replaced the second component with genuine flax linen.

If forced to pick one favorite out of my collection I would choose the Neil Miller. Everything about that strop is pure top shelf premium quality. I do not believe a better stropping surface exists than Horween cordovan shell. His fit and finish is flawless and his choice of hardware it top notch, durable and attractive. Please don't take my gushing over Neil's strops as meaning that anything is wrong with the others. Far from it; I am very happy with all of them, but if FORCED to choose a single perfect strop it would be my Neil Miller.

I've been looking at a kanayama for a few weeks, what's the difference between them? #3, 60k, 70k, 80k and 90k?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
The 60k and 90k are 2 inches longer than the others. Other than than, the difference is 'supposed' to be the thickness of the leather, but I have a number 3 that's thicker than my 60k. Thickness doesn't matter to me, I actually like the thinner 60 k better. It's my daily user along with his Canvas.

The 60k and 90k are 2 inches longer than the others. Other than than, the difference is 'supposed' to be the thickness of the leather, but I have a number 3 that's thicker than my 60k. Thickness doesn't matter to me, I actually like the thinner 60 k better. It's my daily user along with his Canvas.

How do you like the Number 3? Is the 60k worth the price jump?

David

Not unless you want the extra length. I love the number 3. Unfortunately I had a mishap with it, and at the time all he had available was the 60k so that's why I got it. If you get the 3 order a piece of his canvas to go along with it. The suede feels nice to strop on but it doesn't seem to do anything to the edge IMO.

I had a Number 3 that was awesome, I gifted it to a friend back home. I currently use a 80K (amongst other strops) that I like very much as well, they drew similarly and the 80K feels softer, less stiff while thicker. Both excellent strops.

You have hit one of my favorite subjects. I am a strop hound with a love for premium strops. My own collection includes:

Neil Miller Horween cordovan shell and natural linen
Kanayama 90K with his canvas
Walkin Horse Horween cordovan shell and natural linen
Walkin Horse split side and natural linen
Tony Miller Old Number 2 and natural linen
Scruppleworks oil tanned and natural linen
Classic Shaving latigo and natural linen
Straight Razor Designs Roo and natural linen

Some of these did not come with natural linen and in those cases I replaced the second component with genuine flax linen.

If forced to pick one favorite out of my collection I would choose the Neil Miller. Everything about that strop is pure top shelf premium quality. I do not believe a better stropping surface exists than Horween cordovan shell. His fit and finish is flawless and his choice of hardware it top notch, durable and attractive. Please don't take my gushing over Neil's strops as meaning that anything is wrong with the others. Far from it; I am very happy with all of them, but if FORCED to choose a single perfect strop it would be my Neil Miller.

+1 to what Brian said!

I have had some of these same strops and currently use the Kanayama #3 and the 40,000 with canvas second. Both great strops and as others have suggested if you get the #3 add a canvas or linen second to it. Both of these strops have a very light and slick draw.

The Scrupleworks oil tanned Horween is IMO about as opposite in draw as you can get from the Kanayama, quite a bit more draw and a wonderful linen second, great fit and finish, definitely a premium strop.

The third strop currently in my arsenal is a Neil Miller Horween Cordovan Shell, a simple and wonderful strop with outstanding performance. The draw is just right and his workmanship is excellent, performance is as good as I have ever experienced and his linen component is great.

If I had to have only one strop it would be one of his!

Hi gents
I have a paddle strop which is suffering from my learning curve ....some cuts here and there, but still working.
Time has come to purchase 2 strops and I landed here . If you were to buy 2....what would you recommend out of Brianskeet's list ?

I like TM's and saw his strops are made to order. Maybe worthwhile placing a blank order and wait for a couple of months...
what about the second one then ? Kanayama ?

Yes! [emoji115] on the second one, look into the three piece or buy the #3 and the linen (canvas) and a swivel bracket. You will not be disappointed.

Last edited:
Hi gents
I have a paddle strop which is suffering from my learning curve ....some cuts here and there, but still working.
Time has come to purchase 2 strops and I landed here . If you were to buy 2....what would you recommend out of Brianskeet's list ?

I like TM's and saw his strops are made to order. Maybe worthwhile placing a blank order and wait for a couple of months...
what about the second one then ? Kanayama ?

search for westholme razor strops on Facebook

Last edited:
scag315,

I have quite a number of Mr. Neil Miller's strops (both hanging and paddle) : they are world-class :)

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

I haven't seen anyone mention Westholme Strops in the UK. I understand that you would have to ship to America but Alastair is known for good packaging. His strops are very sought after in the UK and he has a growing US following.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 125
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 124

David

I like the looks of that linen. It looks more stiff/thicker than what I've been seeing lately.

Top Bottom