What's new

Gold Plated Rolls Razor

Hi.

I picked up a gold plated Rolls razor today in great condition with the alligator case. Even the blades are in original paper packaging! Other than it being pre 1930's I can't find any info on its value etc. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Attachments

• $rolls37d.jpg
    $rolls37d.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 176
  • $image1.jpg
    $image1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 176
  • $image4-1.jpg
    $image4-1.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 177
  • $image2.jpg
    $image2.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 182
  • $image3.jpg
    $image3.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 175
Welcome to B&B! That is a beautiful set.

We don't get into appraisals here, but a gold plated boxed set is quite unusual.

If the blade in the razor itself is original there should be a date code on the back of the blade which is the last 2 digits of the year in which it was manufactured, i.e. "39" means 1939.

There is quite a bit of info on the Rolls in the Shavewiki:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Rolls_Razor

There is an extremely informative thread in the Clubs and Associations section, but you will need to have made 50 posts in order to view it.

--Bob

Thanks for the visual treat! I have never seen a gold plated Rolls before. I can tell you that a 7 day set of just the blades just sold on the bay for around $150. I would think your set would have considerably more value.

I just found this 7 day set during a road trip across the Midwest and I worried when I saw it that the SAT blade was missing (along with the Rolls itself <lol>) until I saw this ad and set. From the ad description ("six spare blades"), I get the impression a 7th blade might rest in the Rolls, but without a case.

What might have been the point to have an empty slot for a Saturday blade case if there wasn't an intent to include one?
View attachment 588891

Last edited:
First guess with scenario: it is Sunday and the Saturday blade is still in the razor. You take it out, grab the case with Sunday blade in it, take it out and install it, put Saturdays blade in it and put the case in the Saturday slot. Leaving Sunday's slot open and readily apparent.

Did you score all that gear on your road trip? If so, I got to hit the highway!

That early Old Type case is nice.

-jim

First guess with scenario: it is Sunday and the Saturday blade is still in the razor. You take it out, grab the case with Sunday blade in it, take it out and install it, put Saturdays blade in it and put the case in the Saturday slot. Leaving Sunday's slot open and readily apparent.

Did you score all that gear on your road trip? If so, I got to hit the highway!

That early Old Type case is nice.

-jim
The blade in the razor scenario is the only one I could come up with, too, but I think the extra empty slot was a bit silly...

And yes, this was the haul from Denver to Oshkosh, and we're leaving for home tomorrow - we never strayed more than 2 miles from the Interstates for the shops we hit, and probably hit fewer than 10% of the shops the gps highlighted. Might have to stop at a few more on the way home :001_cool:

Yep, really liked that 1903-05 Old Type case score (my guess, Double Ring, and I have one at home that'll fit just fine!), but my best score is that Old Type with Bulldog handle that the dealer brought out of her back office after I asked, and then asked if I'd give her $5 for it. I said yes....

Last edited:
Top Bottom