What's new

Probably a stupid question

I used to use parker refillable/disposable nib pens in high school. (that was more than a couple weeks ago to be sure.:blushing:)

I am left handed, but unlike a lot of left handers I have seen, I don't curl my arm around and write from over my line. My hand rests in the same plane just as a right handed person does. This always got me asked why I used the back of my notebook paper instead of the front. Well to keep the rings from being underneath my arm as I write of course.

Well my problem was that I really liked the pens I was using, but I had a big problem with the ink not drying fast enough and I would smear it, and sometimes get duplicates of what I was writing.

Is there a trick someone may know, or a faster drying ink to use? Or am I just destined to an ink smear on the outside of my pinkie if I go back to them?

There are some really fast-drying inks out now. Noodler's makes a decent set, but as a leftie that writes like you do sometimes I will tilt the paper a bit and write that way.

I've had good luck with fine or extra-fine nibs and something like Pilot Blue. You want to have a drier setup than most people.

I write left-handed and hold my hand as you describe. Using a hard-bound sketch book as a journal, the only ink that I've had any worries about thus far is the Aurora Black. I've used the B&B Black, Noodler's Black, Brown, Walnut, and Hunter Green; De Atramentis Document Green and Oriental Red, and Diamine Red Dragon with no problems.

Thank you gentlemen. Looks like I am going to have to give this another go. SWMBO is going to be pleased with me starting another hobby. (plenty of sarcasm there)

Now I am going to have to start researching what to get for a decent pen.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Aren't the Parker Quink inks supposed to be fast drying? Never used them, so I have no idea. Are they quicker or as quick to dry as those mentioned above?

Thank you gentlemen. Looks like I am going to have to give this another go. SWMBO is going to be pleased with me starting another hobby. (plenty of sarcasm there)

Just do what I did. Tell her that you could always be collecting classic cars or motorcycles. I don't believe that I've bought either a razor or a pen that I couldn't sell for at least what I paid for it, and probably more.

I recently purchase bottle of "Private Reserve" at the Dallas Pen show. This ink seems to dry very quickly, on fountain pen quality paper.

I have a bottle of Private Reserve American Blue Fast Dry. If you don't mind a rather plain blue, I've found it to be well behaved and dries almost instantly on the cheap copy paper and in just a few seconds on Clairefontaine paper.

Thank you gentlemen.
And mikeschu, that was a very helpful post. It seems I am a "type 6" side-writer.
Calligraphy was what initially got me interested in nib pens, but as stated in that article most books on the subject are geared towards right handed people.

30 years ago on a jr highschool budget in an area that has more deer than people, I didn't have a whole lot of options or internet to research it with. Since I work in the construction and industrial trades, it just got put on the back burner. Since I started on B&B last july and saw this sub-forum, it has started to re-kindle my interest.

Top Bottom