What's new

Pitralon Overload Is Heading My Way.

They are not premium products here indeed; good observation. Depending on where you shop, you pay between €3 and €5 for a bottle, which is in line with other drugstore AS splashes.

I have never used Mandom, but that's an interesting observation. I do like the Classic scent more than the Swiss, BTW. But that's all personal preference, of course.

Perhaps the lack of availability here in America adds to the price a bit, too. As far as I know, Bullgoose is the only American vendor to carry these.

So far, I like the ones I bought, but I also like Aqua Velva and Barbasol Brisk, which may seem to be a fair comparison, except for price.

Gentlemen, I used the Pure yesterday morning. It worked and felt the same to me as the Classic. Scent is a light, sweet floral and clean sort of thing. Nothing spectacular but certainly not bad. I liked it because it did not seem to have the menthol of the Classic. I have not looked at the ingredient label yet. I most times avoid reading the ingredient label of aftershaves before I buy them unless I am looking for menthol near the top of the list. So I am unsure of the Pure but if it is in there it is mild and well blended with the other components.

One thing I have taken from using these splashes is that American male grooming needs a big dose of European drugstore toiletry influence. Yes, we all like premium products. Yes, we like exotic, hard to find items that your coworkers have never heard of. There is also a need for every day toiletries like aftershaves. Aftershaves that do not smell like the counter at Neiman Marcus(or is it Needless Markups?).

For those of us who eschew the modern 'ozonic layers and oceanic accords' there is precious little out there anymore that reminds me of Pitralon. The nice glass bottles. Understated labeling and old school manly fragrances that would not offend anyone. English Leather? Well the newer a/s is nothing like the old MEM version of the fragrance but it does work well. Aqua Velva? Sure, it's old school but the menthol overload is not for me and they ditched the heavy glass bottles. I haven't seen a Puig Agua Brava in decades. I know it is available online but I am talking at your corner druggist. British Sterling is out there but not much else. So while I would not categorise the Pitralon as end all be all products. They fill a nice niche and are worthy of your attention.

Well said Todd. I just picked up Swiss and German (Classic) Pitralons. Tried the Swiss for the first time this morning (beautiful, large, dark glass bottle) and while I was not 'wowed' by anything especially unique, it's a refreshing, light scent that is easy to live with. I might wish for a touch more alcohol and bracing effect, but overall pretty good. Look forward to trying the German Classic tomorrow, as well as a new Myrsol (F) that I just purchased. As much as I enjoy using a DE razor, brushes, and soaps, it's my discovery of the some of the tried and true European or American barbershop products that I've enjoyed most. Good bye to Calvin Klein ;-)

I've always felt that the Pure and Swiss smell very similar. But looking at the Pitralon web site, the notes seem to have a lot of variation. Maybe it's time to re-evaluate....

Pure Top Notes: Green fruits complex, pineapple, lemon and lavender.
Swiss Top Notes: Banana, ylang ylang, geranium, rose, lilac, eucalyptus and Norway spruce.

I bought a bottle of the Pitralon Classic (German) and Pitralon Pure (Original). I've tried the Pitralon Pure and it's a nice light scent that lasts for a while, but not all day. I like it, it definitely feels good on my face.

I also ordered a sample of Speick AS. I haven't tried the Pitralon Classic or the Speick yet - but smelling them both in the bottle they smell almost identical. Do they have a similar drydown scent?

I also ordered a sample of Speick AS. I haven't tried the Pitralon Classic or the Speick yet - but smelling them both in the bottle they smell almost identical. Do they have a similar drydown scent?

They are definitely different outside of the bottle. But I can imagine why you might think they are similar. Both have a masculine 'green' scent.

Top Bottom