What's new

Money not a thought - what is best Balm

+1. The packaging is almost identical to that of L'Occitane and while they both have Shea butter, I prefer the Pre over L'Occitane as far as scent and performance.

Agreed. I got the 63 a couple of weeks ago, and I love the smell. I have Cade as well, and I really like that, but I wouldn't say it is better than PdP. Oh, and Cade is twice the price.

alishock

I wrap my lips around a lovely pipe
Big fan Musgo Real. Just smells great. Not too greasy but lately everything seems to irritate my skin so probably back to nivea for a time.

Cade gets a lot of love around here but the balm has very little scent. performance very good though. smells little like the soap and EDT both of which are great. i really like l'occitane bavx balm. has a fantastic scent. i dont use balms much in summer but the bavx is my go to in winter.

As far as balms go, I have to say I have tried TOBS, Nivea Sensitive and Proraso. Of those three I think the TOBS is the best. It goes on nice and light and smells fantastic even though it is supposed to be fragrance free. The other two actually seem to irritate my face somewhat. But hey, that's just me.

I haven't tried many different balms, but I really like Soapy Bathman. They feel great, there are quite a few scents to choose from, and you can pick from two levels of menthol or none at all.

For years I used Noxzema.

For some months now I was using a tube of Carmex until it was gone. It was pretty good.

But the past two weeks I have been using a tube of Arko Yagli Krem that I got somewhere, can't even remember where now. And no idea why I even bought it. Probably to make free shipping on an order. But it is surprisingly good.

At first I thought it was shaving cream and tried to lather it, but that failed. It's an aftershave balm that's extremely thick and rich. Middle of the road on greasy. Not bad to me, but YMMV.

Currently I'm using Weleda After Shave Balm and while I think the scent is not that special, its performance is excellent.

Currently I'm using Weleda After Shave Balm and while I think the scent is not that special, its performance is excellent.
Weleda for me too on sensitive skin days. Slightly lemony scent and very soothing. Proraso white comes a close second.

Herban Cowboy is the first and only aftershave balm that I've ever bought. The scent is fantastic but it eventually fades until your shaving soap starts shining through. Maybe I just don't use enough but I find that if I use any more than a pea-size amount, it becomes cumbersome to work it into my skin just like using too much facial cream or lotion.

I'm interested in trying Dapper Dragon's aftershave gels at some point. I think it would be cool to have the corresponding aftershave for each of my favorite soaps some day.

Pacific Shaving Co Caffeinated Balm. Absorbs superbly and never greasy, even in summer.

Second place, PdP balm.

Third, Nivea sensitive.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'd have to say, of the ones I've tried, DR Harris aftershave milk ... but there are a lot I haven't tried (Castle Forbes, Penhaligon's, T&H, so forth) that no doubt would do well too.

I can only go by what I've tried but I'd have to give the nod to the Floris lineup of asb samples (Elite, JF and Santal) I tried several back in the late 00's..

Top Bottom